My bank just called me.......well, not really my bank, but they had to notify me about my pin number being used in Calgary.....wtf?????? I have not been to beautiful Calgary in ages.....

I have to go and change my card, my pin and ...may be my identity??????

would the banks allow us to use "handle" names??????

do you think we could outsmart the thiefs??????

ideas please.....

I went frantically in the web to get info on these srange stuff and I found this comedian, Chris Bucholz writing about Identity theft...it made me laugh,,,thanks Chris, whoever you are...is that your name?

I am going to the bank in disguise and try to impersonate the "poncho" guy of Clint's movies....may be someone "makes my day"

LoraLee

Theft Ruined Your Life

By Chris Bucholz

Looking back on it now, you have to admit that this was bound to happen eventually. Someone has stolen your identity, using nefarious schemes and treachery, yes, but also greatly assisted by some of your shocking personal security habits, including:

* Your practice of tossing unopened mail into the garbage.

* Your soft spot for internet ads that congratulate you out loud when you open a webpage.

* Your ill-advised decision to name your dog after your Social Ins. Number

Also, it was probably a bad idea to use your credit card as a Facebook profile pic.

Now some maniac is running around racking up purchases on your credit and otherwise sullying your good name - or even your, regrettable name, like Franz, or Gene. But is it possible there's a lighter side hidden in all of this?

Is there a silver lining tucked away here, which can provide you solace, and something to laugh at as you rebuild your horrible, poorly-named life?

#5.

You're going to get really good on the telephone

Because you will be spending the next six months of your life on it. Dealing with banks, collection agencies or erotic cake subscription services, you're going to get really good at dealing with customer service representatives over the next few months as you go over the list of things you allegedly bought???!!

CSR: Hello, how can I help you today?

You: Hi. I'd like to dispute some charges on my ... Adidas Store Credit Card.

CSR: All right sir, can I start by getting your Adidas Store Account Number?

You: You may not. I don't have it. I have never applied for an Adidas Store Credit Card. Someone else had evidently applied for one in my name.

CSR: I see. All right, can I get your name then?

You: Sure. It's Zach Everyman.

CSR: Ok, it seems here that you've purchased eighteen pairs of cross trainers at our El Paso location.

You: No, you see that's the thing. I have not done that, nor have I even been in El Paso.

CSR: Adidas products are exceptionally comfortable sir; is it possible that you've been wearing these shoes without knowing it?

"It happens more often than you'd expect."

You: Wow. You are a real piece of work. No, I have not been accidentally wearing thirty-six Adidas shoes.

CSR: How did you know that you purchased thirty-six shoes sir?

You: I ... what? You just told me I purchased eighteen pairs.

CSR: But I never mentioned thirty six shoes sir, and looking at my screen here, it looks like you purchased exactly that number. I'm afraid we are going to have to turn down this dispute sir. Could you please provide me with your current address and a list of your three greatest fears so I can forward those to our collections department?

"Cave trolls, black socks and licorice. Got it."

#4.

Maybe the thief will do a better job with your identity than you

If you're the sort that is vulnerable to identity theft, we must acknowledge the possibility that you simply aren't that good at running your life. Smart, professional people do not purchase mp3s from Russian web sites. A surprising corollary of this fact is that someone who is capable of stealing an identity is likely a lot more pulled together than their victim, and could potentially do a better job with this stolen identity than its rightful owner. It might seem unjust, but if the thief makes poor decisions less frequently than you, maybe you should let him have your identity for awhile? See if it's an upgrade.

Try not to get arrested. That might screw up the thief's student loan situation.

.. I've been accepted to NYU!

wife: That's probably not for you. That might be for the identity thief.

You: Why would my identity thief do that?

wife: Well, he's clearly got a keen entrepreneurial mind. I suspect he's decided to try and make himself more marketable by obtaining a formal education in economics. Good for him, I say.

"He's learning how to day trade with your credit card right now."

You: -reading closely- Wait. How did you know he was accepted into their economics program?

wife: -sighing- He's got your email address dear. We've been IMing for a few weeks now. He's really quite sweet.

You: You're cheating on me with my identity thief?

Your wife: Honey! No, of course not. I am emotionally cheating on you, yes. But that's different. Like I said, Ivan's just this really remarkable guy. You'd like him, I think. He does all the same things you do. Just a bit better.

"He makes great espresso. And your credit card paid for the machine, so it's like you helped!"

#3.

Identity Insurance Fraud

Let's be clear here, getting your identity stolen isn't like having your financially unsustainable nightclub go up in suspiciously rapid flames. There's no claims adjustor who's going to write you a huge check after a series of tough questions. But as your identity is slowly restored by customer service reps to its previous state, who's to say that that previous state can't be a little bit cooler?

CSR: $739 charge for textbooks, is that yours too?

You: No,that was not me.

CSR: $180 prix fixe for two at Le amoureux on the 28th. Was it you?

You: Of course not. Wait. The 28th? As in last Saturday? Hang on a second. -long, incredulous stare at wife-

wife: Oh don't be a huge baby.

You: Un-f#@king-believable. -into the phone- Ok, hey, listen. Raj, right?

CSR: Sir?

You: What's your whole situation? I'm picturing a call center in New Dehli. Aspirations of making it big on a quiz show one day. You guys all live in giant palaces over there right? Do you need a roommate?

CSR: Sir I ...

You: Because this whole thing I've got here ... I'm thinking of just walking, you know?

CSR: Sir, my name is short for Roger. I live in New Haven, Connecticut.

You: Oh. I see.

CSR: I can't tell if your misguided impressions of India come from Aladdin or Slumdog Millionaire, but you might want to read a book or someth ...

You: I've got a car. I can drive you places.

One of the most troubling parts of being a victim of identity theft is the loss of your sense of self. The very idea that someone else out there is using your name can be very psychologically traumatic, and lead to some very hard questions about what exactly it means to be "you."

Aside from "constantly covered in cheeto dust."

The upshot of this is that you can use these moments of inner reflection to adjust your role in life, remodeling yourself to adopt qualities you'd prefer to have. Look to fictional examples to guide you. Some of the greatest heroes in cinematic history are marked by their mysterious non-identities. A fine example is Clint Eastwood's classic protagonist, The Man with No Name, who just wanders from town to town, shooting people and looking awesome in a poncho. That could be you! Probably without the shooting.

No. Definitely without the shooting.

You: Hello.

Woman on Bus: Hi.

You: I couldn't help but notice that you just got on at 14th Street. I'm new in town and am trying to learn the ropes. Do you like my poncho?

Woman on Bus: -silence, turns away and fixes gaze out window-

You: I was wondering if you knew of any large bounties recently posted, or gang feuds that I might try and turn to my advantage.

Don't be dissuaded by her refusal to make eye contact. That brick wall she's examining out there is pretty remarkable.

Woman on Bus: -pulls the cord for the next stop-

You: You've got a face which I'm going to trust for no reason, so I don't mind telling you that I am pretty lonely. My wife left me for this Russian hacker and now I can't get a boat loan or anything. Also, dogs keep barking at me. I basically just move from town to town now, talking to people on the bus. Sort of like this, but usually a little more awkwardly. Now, I know we've just met, so I hope you won't be cross if I ask you to take me in and care for me. I've got nothing to offer in return but my love ...

And a ridiculously filthy poncho.

Woman on Bus: -pulls the cord for the next stop again, hard-

You: ... and the words of the great Kenny Rogers. - Oh you've got to know when to hold em'. Know when to fold em! Know when to walk away. And know when to run ...

Woman on Bus: - leaves bus-

#1.

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger

It's widely suspected that much like fighting off the chicken pox, once you've had your identity stolen once, it's almost certain you'll never fall victim to such a crime again. When asked to comment on this possibility, every identity theft expert we asked refused to confirm or deny the notion, or even to acknowledge us with anything beyond a blank stare. Which tells us we must be close to the truth. You can thus safely conclude that this identity theft experience will cause your body to develop mechanisms to protect you from these types of attacks in the future.

Living the rest of your life as a hermit counts as a 'defense mechanism'.

You: -years later- Boy am I sure glad that things are back to normal.

Shifty Fellow: Excuse me sir, I'm trying to draw a very short straight line. Can I borrow your credit card for a moment, to serve as a straight-edge?

"Your social security card will work too."

You: Of course friend! -reaches for wallet, then immediately go into spasms as body reacts to danger-"....:-?

Guest S**r***e

By your pin being used, do you mean they are using your bank card? If this is the case, you do not need to change your "identity". All this means is that somehow, someone has made a copy (or copies) of your bank card and have obtained your pin number. There are many ways these thieves are able to do this. They insert card readers in bank machines and place cameras to read your pin. As well, they sometimes have an inside person at a store that will swipe your card through a machine and then either have someone behind you getting your pin or a camera posted somewhere. There are many other places and ways they are getting this information. In short, anywhere you use your card you could fall victim to these scumbags. You will have to contact your banking branch and inform them of what is going on. Your account may be frozen for a short period while they "investigate" and once they determine that someone did in fact copy your card (I don't know how they do this) you will be reimbursed of all the funds that wasn't spent by you. You will also have to file a police report and the police may request a copy of your bank statements for a certain amount of time. I know all of this because this has happened to me twice!!! Once here in Canada and once while I lived in the US for a short time. Both occasions the douchebags went on a spending spree and cleaned me out. Thank goodness I was reimbursed of all my funds. This is why even when I am alone, at any machine, at any time of day, I protect my pin like its the secret code to launch a nuclear war. I huddle real close to the key pad and try and cover everything as best as I can. I also check all around me for people looking over my shoulder before starting to enter my pin.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. This goes for anyone else who may be in this situation as well.

I am sorry that this happened to you. There are so many ways that cards get compromised. The worst as said above is identity theft. Until we accept that we need to use a biometric we will continue to see this happen. I use a biometric card for border crossings - it is fast and convenient. For safety the card which has RFID, is stored in a foil pouch when not needed.

I had my card pin stolen as well. II am 99% sure it was at home sense as talking with others that seamed to be the common place we all were at who had this happen. I am very careful when I use a ATM or Card Reader. I check for hidden camera's and Card readers all the time.

and this still happened to me.

Bank refunded the 1000.00 stolen and they notified me before I even know this happened. I did however need to get a new card and new pin so it was a pain in the ass to say the least... and it feels horrible to know someone did that and got away with it.

Yes Mod, it is a pain in the rearend.....

I am very frustrated right now...they think it was at the LCBO in Richmond Rd (at the Loblaws).....the bank could not specify, but it was used there and 600 in alcohol is not too much to whoever bought it with my money.....but to me is part of my next rent.....

I am furious right now......, the bank will refund after the proper investigation......

Be careful guys.....it is the "robbing season" in so many ways.....I wish I was in an island these days....

Hugs

loraLee

I had a few grand scammed from my account a few years back, it was traced back to the petro can at Bronson and Gladstone. It's a royal pain in the arse to deal with. My bank was very supportive and helpful especialy given the fact that it happened around this time of year and over the holidays between christmas and new years. I'm always chekcing my account online and literaly looking over my shoulder when doing an interact transaction.

Good luck, hope the resolution goes smoothly for you.

A family member of mine had his debit card skimmed 4 times in one year and his credit card copied twice. We're pretty sure we narrowed it down to one or two places in Orleans.

He has since gotten both cards with the "chip", and hasn't had any problems since, but apparently, the thieves are always one step ahead and apparently they have ways of getting around that now.

Just need to be careful - paying attention to your surroundings and keeping tabs on your account balances.

I am pretty much a cash person and believe it or not, some places seem annoyed when I use cash because they actually have to do a little bit of work to make change.

Been there twice. My bank refunded in two days. I am not fond of Big Brother, but it was the bank that noticed first. They monitor transactions relative to time and geographic location. When transactions occur close together and it is physically impossible to travel between the two places, the card, not the account is automatically frozen. For me, it happened on a joint account. My SO's card was frozen, while I still had access to funds.

My experience has taught me that it is always good to have a little stash or two of cash in the event you cannot access your bank.

I recently lost my driver's license in a grocery parking lot and so I am expecting some hassles in the not too distant future. I have a temporary DL and reported to the RCMP, but who knows what the hell is going to happen. I hope the DL is just lost and never to be used again, but I am a strong believer in Murphy's Law.

Any websites out there for dealing with a stolen identity?

I had my credit card skimmed in Puerto Vallarta a fews back. Likely at a restuarant. A few weeks later I'm using it pay for lunch back home as the card was being used in 6 locations within Mexico, including Cancun, Mexico City, Acapulco and Ixtapa...all over. In about 10 minutes more than $ 10,000.00 was spent. Airlpane tickets, groceries, liquor and on and on. They know they have a very small window and hit quickly and my charge here raised the red flag. It didn't cost me a dime but I didn't have a card for a day or two.

Peace

MG

Having recently helped a friend deal with numerous related incidents costing $3,000+ dollars here are some helpful hints that complement the many excellent web references.

(1) Get a locking mailbox if you don't have one (they range from the $15 CDN tire one to the $150 Cadillac of security mailboxes (the MAILBOSS IS built like a tank)).

(2) Protect your SIN fanatically - it turns out one can open a bank account, believe it or not, with a SIN number and a library card!

(3) Get passwords set with the various utility accounts.

(4) Request the free credit reports from TransUnion and Equifax (or pay if you don't want to wait 5 weeks) - what you find may surprise you.

(5) Document each and every incident, with the police, letter, lawyer, etc... it will help later on if incidents continue to occur or if you need to get a new SIN.

Good Luck

My bank just called me.......well, not really my bank, but they had to notify me about my pin number being used in Calgary.....wtf?????? I have not been to beautiful Calgary in ages.....

I have to go and change my card, my pin and ...may be my identity??????

would the banks allow us to use "handle" names??????

do you think we could outsmart the thiefs??????

ideas please.....

What you describe seems like card skimming.

Debit cards are considered equivalent to cash and the actual terms of services allows the bank to consider purchases with debit as final.

Credit card use to be treated differently, liable for only the first $50. However the new chip cards have a different terms of services. Read yours, mine says I'm now liable for all purchases. Ugh! a 4 digit pin isn't going to stop anything.

What does help is the fact that I have to slot the card in plain sight. Makes it much hard for thieves to skim the card. But still......

Bottom line, credit card is safer then debit card but cash is always king.

• Like 1

I had my card pin stolen as well. II am 99% sure it was at home sense as talking with others that seamed to be the common place we all were at who had this happen. I am very careful when I use a ATM or Card Reader. I check for hidden camera's and Card readers all the time.

and this still happened to me.

Bank refunded the 1000.00 stolen and they notified me before I even know this happened. I did however need to get a new card and new pin so it was a pain in the ass to say the least... and it feels horrible to know someone did that and got away with it.

The best way to prevent this is to not have any money in the first place!!!!!

They can't take what's not there!

I am an economist, of which I can truly say:

Greed Breeds Mean Deeds!

Like all systems, especially monetary, they are not perfect, thus people should not be disillusioned about some self-entitlement to perfection in using banks cards, credit cards and the like (which is not what I am saying is the case here, but is in many similar situations). In other words, if one chooses to use these systems they must accept they will have problems, and then deal with it as part of the 'joy' of using it. (Pobodies Nerfect :S )

In other words, be pragmatic and accept it that one will mostly likely at some time (usually at the worse time) encounter problems with banking, therefore use some common sense and do not keep all ones money in a bank, or expose cards when not necessary (example: do people really need to use interac 100 times a month at every manner of dodgy business out there? No, not really. Take all the money out upon payday and use cash at stores. From what I've seen, less people get robbed at home/from their person than they do from a bank.)

I worked for various international banks and none are to be trusted, therefore anyone who makes the decision to put money in a bank is only taking a gamble, imo. But in making such a choice, one cannot bemoan their decision to take such a gamble. It's YOUR choice! (Then again, this is what 1/2 the Internet is about, people bitching about their decisions which fail them eh? ...and of course b) for comedic entertainment in misery loving company too ;) ).

When shthpns, then proceed with your case and show your due diligence before taking the banks for all their worth (if they wronged you). History has shown though, this usually costs more than the amount taken, if one is even so lucky to be given a favourable judgment. If.

In the end, TV has too many followers. Generally speaking, people need to think more for themselves and not listen to the idiot box telling them what to do all the time. Just because the TV says to always use a bank does not mean one needs to always use a bank (or always eat cheesy poofs - or whatever the case may be).

Thankfully, money is just an object. While it may not buy happiness, I do understand it's needed to pay the bills sometimes. Take Care.

I recently lost my driver's license in a grocery parking lot and so I am expecting some hassles in the not too distant future. I have a temporary DL and reported to the RCMP, but who knows what the hell is going to happen. I hope the DL is just lost and never to be used again, but I am a strong believer in Murphy's Law.

Any websites out there for dealing with a stolen identity?

Hello Namssa,I work at a Canadian Bank, I suggest you to go to your local equfax agency to loge a Fraud alert message, which means, you will provide equfax a phone # on file. Anyone who attempt to do any type of borrowing under your name you will be notified.

• Like 1

superjackjuijitsu, thank you for the tip. That sounds like a good idea and I will give them a call next week.

So, if someone tries to use my lost driver's license for credit purposes or a loan, then an alert would come up and I assume I would be notified? I assume if someone tries that or if I try to get credit that I would need to provide additional information or more ID.

Thanks again

Hello Namssa,I work at a Canadian Bank, I suggest you to go to your local equfax agency to loge a Fraud alert message, which means, you will provide equfax a phone # on file. Anyone who attempt to do any type of borrowing under your name you will be notified.

superjackjuijitsu, thank you for the tip. That sounds like a good idea and I will give them a call next week.

So, if someone tries to use my lost driver's license for credit purposes or a loan, then an alert would come up and I assume I would be notified? I assume if someone tries that or if I try to get credit that I would need to provide additional information or more ID.

Thanks again

The message will be lodged on your credit report will show "FRAUD ALERT" to the lenders/banks. Required by the bank act, the advisor or loan officer has to call the phone # on the credit report after the"customer" left, even that person is actually you.because of the message,they will always assume the person sit infornt of them is the bad guy. once they confirmed over the phone, they will procede the application. yeah,this done asap, its always pain the rear end to fix the crap on your credit report. let me know, I can guide you though the process.

I've had this happen to me three times when I lived in Ontario and twice since I moved to Vancouver. In every case, the bank either notified me before I found out or they suspended my debit card so that no one, including me, could use it. The suspensions were a pain, but the message that came up on the debit card machine was something like, "Card Error. Please Contact Your Bank," so it was clear that there was a problem. The banks immediately refunded the lost money. In both Vancouver and Ontario, the bank said that mine was one of a number of accounts that had been compromised a short time after the account card holder had used a debit card at a particular gas station or grocery store. I found the bank to be courteous and helpful.

I know what it is like, I'm not going into details how my experience went about. Anyways the only way that they can catch them is if they have a witness or catch them on cam. If it's on a home computer their Ip. If they catch them they can get a few charges one being theft under $5000 if its under that of course. I personally go to the bank at times when it is not busy. Sometimes going straight to the teller helps. I have money always on me before I use my debit I just find it safer that way.

Just a quick note that my DL has been recovered. Someone found it where it was lost, put it in the mail and I received it today.

Considering the circumstances, I am pretty happy.