Congratulations to Big Al!

Some of you may or may not be familiar with Big Al. He is a 25 yr old young man, afflicted with severe cerebral palsy. He emailed me a couple of years ago, and I've been to see him twice so far, with a spring or summer trip planned. Although is he wheel-chair bound and dependent upon others for all the necessities, he remains positive and upbeat. As he has said, there is not much joy in his life. His days are spent strictly indoors, and he does not even have 24 hour care, like he so desperately needs. Having an aide there 24 hours would greatly improve the quality of Al's life. He and his Mom recently came to Winnipeg to plead his case to the Health Board. We've been waiting with bated breath for their decision, and in the interim, Big Al got himself his first job! He works for a Web Design firm in their marketing department. Isn't it wonderful that technology has come so far that people like AL, in remote locations, and with little or no mobility, can use their intelligence and education from the comfort of their chairs, online? In any case, please offer your support and congratulations to our fellow cerbite, the incomparable...Big Al! Way to go my sweetest friend! :grin:

• Like 2

Thank you Soleil for the the good news on Big Al and congrats to Big Al himself. I do also wish that the Winnipeg Health Board will provide Al with the care that he deserves.

Congratulations Big Al! I wish you all the best and I hope the Board does the right thing....

cat

Congrats and best wishes to Big Al, and thanks to Soleil for telling us about this.

That's excellent news! Congradulations Big Al! Kick some ass (including the Health Board's). And while your waiting for the Health Board's decision, maybe let some of the local media know. Few things grease the wheels of the political process more favourable than media attention. All the best in your new career.

Fantastic.......it is good to know about him......he has not been around much and I did find his posts very informative.......

I wish him the best in his career....

Thank yo all for your knid words. You are all very kind :)

Big Al you serve as inspiration to us all. You have shown that through determination and a positive attitude anything is possible. Thanks for reminding us all about such a powerful lesson. Keep up the great work my friend.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

Al you are a winning athlete. No matter what life throws at you, you just fight back harder. Don't let the goverment win this one. Keep up the fight. I am sure that you have the backing of the cerb community behind you. We must stand arm in arm brothers and sisters of cerb. Soleil you are an angel and deserve honourable mention for your hard work for our brother Big Al.

• Like 1

Fantastic.......it is good to know about him......he has not been around much and I did find his posts very informative.......

I wish him the best in his career....

Thank you.. I will be sure to check in more, and let you know How I am doing...

And I didn't even mention the book of his life he's been working on! Up to 220 pages now Al?

Deepest thanks to everyone who has taken the time to support and congratulate our fellow friend. I know he was deeply moved by your words. I believe support and encouragement can go a long way. I love this wonderful community for responses to threads like this one. Merci encore.

Glad you are back with us Big Al. I also noticed your absence on CERB. All the best with your new venture and "we" all hope you get the support you need.

Thanks to Soleil for the update.

A heart warming story Al, your book,your employment and your dearest supporter > Mainly Soleil your good friend and of course all the rest of your good friends and supporters here at Cerb!

Congrats! and I hope the Health Board gives the support you require.

Edited by PistolPete

Soleil: Thank you for passing along this heart-warming information.

Big Al: Congratulations and best wishes on your new career.

Keep us posted about the decision (on the health-care aide).

Thank you.. I will be sure to check in more, and let you know How I am doing...

it is I who must thank you...for your courage is something I admire.....

If you do publish a book..or memoires...I would love to read them

it is I who must thank you...for your courage is something I admire.....

If you do publish a book..or memoires...I would love to read them

I try and live life to the bes of my ability. Yes, sometimes things can be very hard for me, but there is a bright side to "everything" Having all your support, makes me want to move forward in life :) After all, if I was not like the way I am, All of you here on cerb, would not be a part of my life :) Also the friendship of the Beautiful Soleil, makes my days much brighter :)

I try and live life to the bes of my ability. Yes, sometimes things can be very hard for me, but there is a bright side to "everything" Having all your support, makes me want to move forward in life :) After all, if I was not like the way I am, All of you here on cerb, would not be a part of my life :) Also the friendship of the Beautiful Soleil, makes my days much brighter :)

I think that your presence here puts things in perspective for us "able bodied".... You are proof that adversity can be overcomed.

You're an example to us all. More power to you!