Guys! You ever thought about or done this?

I've been thinking about something for a while now and was wondering if any of you have ever tried this?

I've always thought "Wouldn't it be nice if I could somehow 'write off' some of my pooning as a business expense."

Have any of you ever approached a reliable, honest regular about setting up an arrangement where you pay her out of your business and claim it is for bookeeping, cleaning, administrative work, etc? Yes she would have to claim the income but I would compensate her above her normal rate for what ever tax liability would go along with this. I wouldn't put her on the payroll but rather pay her as a subcontractor. She wouldn't have to pay or collect GST as it would be less than $30,000.00 annually.

I know there would be several pitfalls involved in such a scheme and that's why it wouldn't work in 99.99% of situations but this is a very rare case of a regular of mine who I have gotten to know well and I would trust her that it would work in this instance.

Anyone ever done this?

Guest W***ledi*Time

"You shouldn't have to provide her with additional compensation for her tax liability, since she should already be paying taxes", he said innocently. I would think you would likely have to give her a little something extra to compensate her for putting herself in the position of participating in tax fraud, though.

For yourself, you of course know the risks in the (relatively unlikely) scenario of getting caught. Worst case would be a fine of 200% of taxes evaded, plus 2 years in prison.

(I have a friend who has been reporting false expenses for many years to Revenue Canada. For one thing, everytime we go out on the town, he puts the whole bill on his credit card and I compensate him for my half in cash. Then he uses his receipts to claim business expenses, even though he only paid half and it had nothing to do with business in the first place. He's a good friend, but I loathe this practice. I've told him if he's ever audited, I'm not lying for him - friend or not. He's been warned.)

For yourself, you of course know the risks in the (relatively unlikely) scenario of getting caught.

As long as one isn't stupid or greedy it's unlikely to get caught. My annual expenses run just over $500K and employee wages/benefits/contracting fees are about $160K so I figure another $3-4 K or so wouldn't get noticed.

Another 3 to 4 K of "bookeeping" expenses would not get noticed at all

on 500K.

Its not a bad idea actually. Instead of hiring the woman as a contractor, can you

just write it off as an entertainemt expense?

Now that would be nice.

Posted via Mobile Device

Make payment with gift cards...then write-off as advertising expense, promotional, bonus...whatever.

True enough....but all the ladies love Bed Bath and Beyond. And let's not forget their favorite restaurants. I agree, this requires some pre-planning to be well received

I don't know how I'd feel if somebody gave me a gift certificate to home depot :P

funny you should say that...i actually did receive that as a gift....purchased some beautiful plants :)

Seeing as I'm not a businessman, but a poor public servant:roll: my disposable income is used for hobbying, and I would feel awful depriving the taxman of his rightfully taken money:icon_rolleyes:

Seriously, this for me is a hobby, not a means to get around paying taxes

As for the lady, well the ones I have seen can attest, not only do I pay, but they get a tip and gift as well

I think your running a risk trying to claim hobbying as a tax break, and it's something I wouldn't do, but that's me

RG

All things considered, I'd suggest the deduction line item be listed as something other than "pooning." (smile)

Make payment with gift cards...then write-off as advertising expense, promotional, bonus...whatever.

Hmmmmm... I have Canadian tire money.... and a handful of A&W two for one teenburger coupons. Who can honestly say that they could turn down a two for one teenburger deal???

Hmmmmm... I have Canadian tire money.... and a handful of A&W two for one teenburger coupons. Who can honestly say that they could turn down a two for one teenburger deal???

LMAO!!!!! I also died choking on my coffee. Thank you for the mental image of a wad of canadian tire money and puppy dog eyes.

Posted via Mobile Device

that's good advice, if you're going to get into tax fraud you gotta keep your mouth shut and not discuss it on a public forum board. That's just asking for trouble. I like the stress relief contractor idea. Gotta make sure she's paying her own WSIB premiums and your good to go.

If we consider it to be "Stress management training" then it's fully deductable and isn't considered a taxable employment benefit.

See CRA document IT-470R for the details: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it470r-consolid/it470r-consolid-e.html

Why not just hire the SP to be your personal assistant, or better yet, your girl Friday. Just a thought....

Oops, I clicked on the wrong smiley... sorry...

everythings peachy till the audit - when even 100% legit expenses are up for grab,s -it can be an expensive lesson believe me !!!

I had another thought.

For the SP's job description, where it says duties just put "Other duties as required". That way nothing is spelled out and no one is the wiser. This is done all the time with other trades. The SP could be a part-time employee and/or on-call. :icon_wink:

Why not just hire the SP to be your personal assistant, or better yet, your Girl Friday. Just a thought....

or.. Girl Wednesday (a.k.a. hump day!)

I wish I could convince the company that hobbying is a medical expense...........heck... if I could even convince that it was a prescription.........