Your opinion - Federal Election...

I love this post! I feel that my generation and younger have left the " voting to the adults" , lol

When I vote I not only think of the PM and the ruling party,but the cascading effect it has on my community. I look at who is representing my local municipality needs as well as Provincial responsibility.

Good or bad, I have held onto my idealism and idealistic view of the world, of Canada and in just about every area, and I guess my posts here on CERB in other areas demonstrate that.

However, at this time I AM challenged to maintain a sense of idealism, but I refuse NOT to vote.

I have big issues with Stephen Harper and the Conservatives. The main issue is the fact that it is indeed a one person, right wing dictatorship. When one watches question period in the House, and see the parrot responses from the ministers who answer, it frustrates me how supposedly intelligent people can allow themselves to be manipulated by one man.

I have issues with Mr Ignatieff. Even prior to the attack ads, I asked myself where did this guy come from? One would have thought that the Liberals would have learned from their experience with Paul Martin. Annointing a leader, someone who has been in the wings and just waiting, did not work then, and certainly not now.

I have issues with Mr Layton, and the feeling that he and his party is "blowing in the wind."

That leaves two leaders.

I TRULY wish that Gilles Duceppe was a national leader of a national, CANADIAN party. He speaks what he believes in, and has the sincerety level that I would like to see from every potential leader. But his politics and gepography leave him out for me. I guess when one has nothing to lose it allows freedom to express oneself?

Elizabeth May. A one issue party with the Greens, but an important issue. Again a leader who speaks from the heart and who says what she believes in, regardless of "spin."

I refuse to abandon my vote.

The Greens have it.

Additional Comments:

Lets end up with a minority that will force the Liberals, the Conservatives and the NDP into leadership campaigns, with hope that a person with vision and leadership skills and a dynamic vision comes to the fore.

The young people of Canada need to step up and exercise their voting franchise and make their views heard and known. And the young people of Canada start probably with just about all CERB members beside me. :)

Oh Canada, We Stand on Guard........

• Like 1

First off we should count our blessings that we are in a country that we can vote freely and elect what we like most (or for many what we hate less!!). In many countries around the world this choice does not exist and many are ready to give up their lives to achieve what most of us is taking as granted. That is the right to vote in a democratic manner.So, most important advice that I give is please do exercise your right to vote, regardless of what party you may wish to vote for.

Social Justice is most important to me. A party who will take care of those who can not do themselves, like the sick (health care), the elderly (programs for seniors), the women, the minorities, the poor (more low income housing, higher minimum wage , more jobs, better employment insurance) the students (higher levels of loans and bursaries and lower tution fees). Yes some are not in federal territory but they should do what they can.

Second is the economy. Conservatives took a surplus and created some 56 billion dollar dificit. True, Canada is doing a lot better than many other compatitors, however, most credits should go to Paul Martin for bringing fiscal order to Canada in the past. More jobs especially for recent graduates and gradual (not cut and burn) deficit reduction.

Third, spending preference. Less spending on fighter jets and tax breaks for corporations and more on social justice and more tax breaks for the low income families.

Fourth, accountability - Less corruption and less scandals that we have been seeing in recent years mainly by conservatives.

Fifth - Law and Order - A government who will not submit to pressure from religious right to make hobbying illegal as one conservative MP has been clearly campaigning for. The status quo is fine in my view, (except that living off the avails should be only illegal for pimps not family members or drivers or security guards). I also support harsh punishment for pimps and clients who resort to violence and who abuse. We also need to bring stronger laws to punish criminals (the only thing I share with conservatives) especially those who commit violence against women and children. I am supportive of bringing back capital punisment for those cases. Also I support more money for law enforcement and tougher laws for those who break the law including life sentence (or longer sentences) for repeat violent offenders (so yes I guess we need more prisons).

I don't wish for any majority, not even a liberal majority. A majority makes a government unaccountable. They do whatever they wish no matter what, unopposed. Electing consecutive governments have shown in the past will make the party or government arrogant. This has been proven many times before (liberals in early 80's and conservatives in late 80's and early 90's .......). I consider myself center right. A minority liberal is my first choice followed by a minority conservative.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Let's be careful about the whole "election our economy can't afford" line we keep hearing. As I wrote in a blog posting at http://www.cerebvellum.com, this is money being spent IN out economy. It's not like we throw the cash in a blast furnace.

And, I think it's good we are having the election. I don't think the outcome will be any different. But, given the judgment of contempt, an election is necessary.

Good or bad, I have held onto my idealism and idealistic view of the world, of Canada and in just about every area, and I guess my posts here on CERB in other areas demonstrate that.

However, at this time I AM challenged to maintain a sense of idealism, but I refuse NOT to vote.

I have big issues with Stephen Harper and the Conservatives. The main issue is the fact that it is indeed a one person, right wing dictatorship. When one watches question period in the House, and see the parrot responses from the ministers who answer, it frustrates me how supposedly intelligent people can allow themselves to be manipulated by one man.

I have issues with Mr Ignatieff. Even prior to the attack ads, I asked myself where did this guy come from? One would have thought that the Liberals would have learned from their experience with Paul Martin. Annointing a leader, someone who has been in the wings and just waiting, did not work then, and certainly not now.

I have issues with Mr Layton, and the feeling that he and his party is "blowing in the wind."

That leaves two leaders.

I TRULY wish that Gilles Duceppe was a national leader of a national, CANADIAN party. He speaks what he believes in, and has the sincerety level that I would like to see from every potential leader. But his politics and gepography leave him out for me. I guess when one has nothing to lose it allows freedom to express oneself?

Elizabeth May. A one issue party with the Greens, but an important issue. Again a leader who speaks from the heart and who says what she believes in, regardless of "spin."

I refuse to abandon my vote.

The Greens have it.

Additional Comments:

Lets end up with a minority that will force the Liberals, the Conservatives and the NDP into leadership campaigns, with hope that a person with vision and leadership skills and a dynamic vision comes to the fore.

The young people of Canada need to step up and exercise their voting franchise and make their views heard and known. And the young people of Canada start probably with just about all CERB members beside me. :)

Oh Canada, We Stand on Guard........

My idealism is long gone, but I still intend to exercise my right to vote. But for me, my vote has turned out to vote on which is the less of all evils...pretty bad when you think about it.

As for Gilles Duceppe, maybe he has the passion. He has that luxury since he knows he'll never be in power

Likewise, Elizabeth May, a one issue party, who has the luxury since the Greens won't form a government, not even a third party

If the Bloc Quebecois or Greens came to power, you would be very disillusioned with them as the rest of the parties.

But I'm still voting

RG

Well given the current global economic crises I think things are very good. Look to the south and see a country that is nearly on it's knees. I go through the US and I am amazed at the huge impact the recession has had on the US. We see several western European countries on the verge of bankruptcy getting massive bailouts from neighbour countries that are not far behind in ruin. All in all I think it is a good time in history to have the man in charge who is a very smart economist.

I have met Mr. Harper and his family on several occasions, the guy is very dry but his loyalty to this country, and his burning desire to do the right thing are over whelming. His family is amazing, they are a complementary reflection of the Man.

The opposition parties are going to complain about his spending (last time they complained he did not spend enough) but given the global economy and the economic climate present with our major trade partners it was the right move.

The global economy is in a massive upheaval and we barley felt it. If you believe in luck than you can pretend we were just lucky, however I don't believe in luck.

The point that Mr. Harper makes about the 4th election in 7 years is very valid, all of the conservative achievements, and in the light of the events in the past seven years they have been substantial, were accomplished with the opposition having very little regard to what was best for the country and much more focused on "how can we get another election and get back in power".

The liberals have no back bone they have a legacy of broken major election promises. The NDP had a choice last Friday to keep the country on course and derail the liberal attempt to destabilize things. Instead they chose to roll the dice for a little bit more power in parliament in the future.

It is critical that we get a conservative majority if we want to keep Canada ahead of the global economic charges that are coming.

• Like 1

I wonder how much of our faring better in the global economic crisis has to do with the nature of our economy vs the tactics of the governing party.

I'm not an economist by any means, so these are just my musings, but...

We have always had a staples economy; we sell the component products to other countries and purchase the final product back from them. For instance, oil is sold to the US an we buy the refined fuel back. The US is the opposite. So, in a crisis, a staples economy should in theory be more stable. After all, less demand for products means less need for us to buy from foreign economies, better reliance on our own production capacity, and control over the relative price we charge and pay for our exports and imports.

Also, the biggest downfall in the US was lack of regulation in the banking system. We don't suffer from that ill, and not because of the current government. It's just a lucky happenstance.

As far as being a great economic steward, PM Harper is providing a lot of reason for mistrust; in a rocky economic situation, his desire to hide and keep secret the true costs of his legislation and purchases (crime agenda, fighters) are a HUGE reason to be fearful. We simply don't know what he's spending, or where the money will come from.

I agree with most your comments Scribbles especially the one comment about our historically tightly regulated banking system. Even if the liberals were in power past 5 years, I believe we would have been exactly where we are now, economically. We didn't always have a stable economy though. In the early 80's and mid 90's we were in a mess much worse than US or even Europe but we have been doing well past 10-15 years thanks to Paul Martin and his tough fiscal policy.

We are better off than other major industrial nations but that is because of the sound fiscal order that Paul Martin put in place with hard work and pain over many years and conservatives inherited a sound economy with surplus and had the room to inject some $60 billion dollars into the economy and keep the economy moving without the kind of recession and pain that other countries such as US are going through. Regretfully I ran out of rep points for you scribbles but well stated comments.

I'm so done with federal/provincial/municipal politics!

I'm probably going to vote, but I will likely vote for "the lesser of the evils".

Actually, this is a shame that many voters end up voting like this. Our system sucks! Including our electoral system!

I virtually disagree with everything any of the running politicians have to say (my ideological views are quite marginalized in this country/system).

Given that so many of us are frustrated with these people walking around in suits on Parliament Hill who take a 3 month Christmas vacation while our country is in the shits, people should really seek other outlets in their own communities in which they can contribute to political change-through your community first. I'm talking about neighbourhood council type things, volunteering and making decisions at local community organizations etc. etc.

A better system is possible. Too many of us have given up hope because this system is one that makes us feel powerless and doesn't let people decide what is best for them.

Hopefully this makes sense as I'm kind of sleepy today.

*And end rant*

xoxo

Sky

• Like 1

Choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. No matter who you vote for, we will still be at war forever, our food, water and air will still be poisoned, our police will happily break any law on the books if the "democratically elected" leader tells them to(anybody remember the G20?), and corporate interests will always come first.

And this law and order crap drives me nuts. Canada in 2011 is just about the safest place to be in the history of human civilization. But fear has been the easy way to votes for 2000 years, why stop now?

If the Federal Government ceased to exist tomorrow, what negative consequences would there actually be? I'll be voting none of the above.

Edited by J Galt
typo
  • Like 2

Well, I will likely be voting for the best candidate in my riding. He's actually pretty good and he supports a lot of the grassroots initiatives I'm part of.

But I still think this system is broken and breeds power trips and corruption and lies and neautralization of candidates.

Which of the parties is the least evil?

Guest tr*****e

I'm not happy with the Harper Conservatives' tight-lipped nature. I'm straight-up pissed that the party that made us so many promises of accountability has made a historic name for itself(contempt of parliament).

I also don't like the Liberals. I don't like their leader's introverted nature(I'm an introvert too but I'm not in politics, nor do I have any such aspirations). He looks like all he wants to do is rid us of Harper, but then what? I don't have any clear ideas on how he would do things differently.

The NDP look energetic compared to the other parties right now, but do they have what it takes to lead our country forward? Really, right now, even keeping the status quo would be the lesser evil.

The Green Party is a newcomer; people talk about them not because they actually have the potential force to form a large party, but because people are fed up with being lied to. But what else do they think of, besides the environment? I like dreaming of a better future, and yes, I'm into some sci-fi, and all that, but we live in a world everyone is NOT unified in their desire to elevate humanity as a whole. We live in a world where no one seems to care about anyone but themselves, so I have to rain(very lightly) on their parade, too.

I'm pretty fed up with everything political, but that's why people my age aren't known for voting. When the young people of today are middle-aged, we will be forced to take responsibility for the Canada we all love and cherish, so I say it's better to get used to it early.

My vote will definitely go left of centre, the only question left for me is who cares even a little more about Canada than their own pocket. Too bad Duceppe isn't committed to the rest of Canada, too. At least I know where he stands.

Until some maverick comes along that is inspirational with fresh new ideas and has a different take on being a politician, I refuse to give one shit about it. The current state is littered with the old boys club playing by the old boys rules and failing desperately at accomplishing anything other than speaking at length while saying nothing.

But great people don't go into politics anymore, it's only people who want to be politicians. I am praying to see the day when a brave new voice doesn't stoop to sound bites, avoids the extreme posturing that the other parties are completely wrong, and can express their own ideas without slamming the oppositions to get their point across.

It's all bullshit and they think it works - but it doesn't. For sure, most people walking up to the ballot box on election day are pretty stupid and/or uninformed since they either have their original bias swaying them, or fell victim to the simplicity of the 30 second soundbite on 1 or 2 issues. Sad to say it, but I know more about politics than 90% of people out there and I don't know shit, I really don't. But if you keep treating people like they are stupid and need to be spoonfed, they won't change because nobody is giving them a reason to.

That's where inspiration comes in. Will I ever see it in my lifetime? Good question. Until then, fuck 'em, I'm not playing. To anyone that wants to tell me that I have no right to complain by not participating, that's ok because I don't complain anyways. I can find some other topic of conversation to bore me more to death than politics. Religion's a good one for that too.

I actually shuddered when I read the word "maverick".

Unintentional invocation of Palin? Careful. She-who-must-not-be-named tends to appear in a puff of gunsmoke at the intonation of her name.

;)

• Like 1

Guest tr*****e
I actually shuddered when I read the word "maverick".

Unintentional invocation of Palin? Careful. She-who-must-not-be-named tends to appear in a puff of gunsmoke at the intonation of her name.

;)

Palin? *groans* I think I'd move to Russia first! lol

(I'm joking people, I'm aware that we have it better here)

We will likely get a similar minority government that we have just had. I wish the Liberals would wake up and understand that Canadians do not want another election.

The Conservatives had it within their power to avoid an election; they could have cut a deal with the NDP on benefits issues and survived. They chose not to, and instead tabled a budget that they knew would be voted down. Bingo -- an election they can blame on the opposition, and the Conservatives get to say they're shocked -- shocked! -- at the outcome.

I think Harper did math and concluded he wouldn't come out worse with an election, and might possibly come out better. The Liberals are just entirely limp under Ignatieff. Shame they didn't vote Rae as Liberal leader when they had the chance -- the guy's imperfect, but I think he would lead a much more credible opposition.

Unless something dramatic happens in the next little while, I don't think there's much hope of many people changing how they voted last time around. The Conservatives have stumbled recently and Harper's ironclad rulership of his party is creepy, but I'm not sure the opposition can get much mileage from that without also offering a credible alternative built on their own ideas.

I'll hope for something dramatic.

Guest s******ecan****

The Canadian Banking system is a decent setup, however the US Banking system is not what triggered the global economic crises. A much larger impact item was the dramatic rise in Oil prices.

This is incorrect, oil prices had nothing to do with the financial meltdown, it was in fact completely due to the US housing bubble which was the result of a combination of 20 years of sustained financial deregulation and 10 years of historicaly low interest rates.

Americans treated their homes as ATM's refinancing every 6 months on the one hand, with a minority of wealthy investors flipping specualtive properties faster than hamburgers. Wall Street exploited this situation to create a market for financial products that was as profitable as it was novel and complicated. Even the CEO's of most of these banks didn't really understand what it was they were selling and what sort of exposure and risk their companies were taking on.

When housing prices slumped the whole vast ponzi scheme started to unravel, slowly at first and then in a terrific free fall once everyone realized what was happening. Trillions of dollars of wealth (that never really existed anyhow) vanished in the space of approx 18 days.

Here in Canada Harper and the Conservatives had no hand in sheltering us from this. We were saved by good ole Canadian common sense that had kept our housing market sane for the most part and our banking system tightly regulated (despite constant pleas for more freedom). We were lucky we did not have Harper style Conservatives in power through the 90's as we most likely would have been saddled with a de regulated and exposed banking sector.

As for Mulroney, he and his so called conservative government nearly left the country insolvent. I remember in '94 serious Canadian scholars actually suggested default as a solution to our financial crisis, thats how serious things were. Sound management got us through that crisis, but it was luck as much as anything that got us through this one.

I will vote, I'm not sure who for. Ignatief is in a word underwhelming but at least he is not Stephan Dion. I don't care much for Harper's smug cynicism and can omly imagine the arrogance that would come with a majority seeing as there seems an abundance of it already.

I wish the NDP had supported the budget because I feel it was a reasonable one and we could have all used a couple of more years of getting along.

As for coalitions they have been ruled out apparently, yet I would support one of either NDP-Conservative or Liberal-NDP simply because we will get more moderation than with a one party majority be it Liberal or Conservative.

Generally our worst governments have been the majority governments that come in a party's second or third term, this transcends party identity and has little to do with ideology, it is more about corruption, patronage, arrogance, and simple schlerosis.

Guest tr*****e

I agree, minority governments are better because that way, everyone gets a say in what happens. While the number of constituents every MP represents is not equal(and therefore it follows that equal voices in the House doesn't mean equal influence in government on the part of Joe Citizen), it's at least a few inches closer to the ideal representative democracy.

Nobody is perfect, we should not expect politicians to be neither.

Dummpy, you claimed that while traveling threw the USA, you could testify of the misery resulting from the economic metldown. Why then do you promote voting for a party that wishes to copy paste the American liberal economic model? I really don't understand your logic. When you say you met with Harper's family, do you mean you met his kids and wife or his colleagues? I sincerely hope you don't construct your opinion on the behavior of his family members because this has nothing to do with good management and democracy.

The Bloc does not exist to promote QC independence, it is in Ottawa to defend QC values and interests within Canada -which I believe is absolutely legitimate. When it comes to vote on international matters, the fact that a party represent the population of only one province doesn't make it less legitimate or against Canada in itself. Until now, we are part of Canada so we have the right as any other Canadian to partake in debates and decisions concerning us all. More than anything, one should not forget that having the Bloc in Ottawa also benefits all provinces when the Federal tries to gain control over provincial's competence. I believe that all provinces should have parties like the Bloc -though it would also implies having a different political system.

No federal party represents my values and belief in their entirety. I wish the Conservative party loses minority but I am perfectly aware that my wish won't turn into reality, it might actually turn into a nightmare.

The actual Conservative party is both a social and economic conservative group. Most of its leaders are influenced by their Evangelist belief. I really don't feel like going back to the middle age. If I had a time machine, I would visit earth at a time where no human had step on it yet. I don't see the need to testify of times when rights did not exist for anyone but the Kings and their entourage. I prefer being crushed or eaten alive by a dinosaur than being ruled by one.

I know for sure who I am Not voting for !

" a directive went out to public servants late last year that "Government of Canada" in federal communications should be replaced by the words "Harper Government.".... None would speak on the record for fear of retribution "

:icon_eek: (fear of leader, In canada, Nah)

His head is getting too big for his shoulders.

Cult of Personality ?

What's next ?, huge posters on the sides of bulidings of our great leader ???

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Politics/20110303/harper-ruling-110303/

• Like 1

This is incorrect, oil prices had nothing to do with the financial meltdown, it was in fact completely due to the US housing bubble which was the result of a combination of 20 years of sustained financial deregulation and 10 years of historicaly low interest rates.

Americans treated their homes as ATM's refinancing every 6 months on the one hand, with a minority of wealthy investors flipping specualtive properties faster than hamburgers. Wall Street exploited this situation to create a market for financial products that was as profitable as it was novel and complicated. Even the CEO's of most of these banks didn't really understand what it was they were selling and what sort of exposure and risk their companies were taking on.

When housing prices slumped the whole vast ponzi scheme started to unravel, slowly at first and then in a terrific free fall once everyone realized what was happening. Trillions of dollars of wealth (that never really existed anyhow) vanished in the space of approx 18 days.

Here in Canada Harper and the Conservatives had no hand in sheltering us from this. We were saved by good ole Canadian common sense that had kept our housing market sane for the most part and our banking system tightly regulated (despite constant pleas for more freedom). We were lucky we did not have Harper style Conservatives in power through the 90's as we most likely would have been saddled with a de regulated and exposed banking sector.

As for Mulroney, he and his so called conservative government nearly left the country insolvent. I remember in '94 serious Canadian scholars actually suggested default as a solution to our financial crisis, thats how serious things were. Sound management got us through that crisis, but it was luck as much as anything that got us through this one.

I will vote, I'm not sure who for. Ignatief is in a word underwhelming but at least he is not Stephan Dion. I don't care much for Harper's smug cynicism and can omly imagine the arrogance that would come with a majority seeing as there seems an abundance of it already.

I wish the NDP had supported the budget because I feel it was a reasonable one and we could have all used a couple of more years of getting along.

As for coalitions they have been ruled out apparently, yet I would support one of either NDP-Conservative or Liberal-NDP simply because we will get more moderation than with a one party majority be it Liberal or Conservative.

Generally our worst governments have been the majority governments that come in a party's second or third term, this transcends party identity and has little to do with ideology, it is more about corruption, patronage, arrogance, and simple schlerosis.

These are very correct comments. The oil shock was behind the recession in the early 80's (Canada's worse recession btw) and NOT the recession of 2009. I was scratching my head when I read the comments about drastic rise in oil prices being responsible for the recent recession!!!!!. The oil prices averaged less than $50 a barrel in 2009 lol!!!!. The recent global recession was exactly for the reasons you stated and I agree with rest of your comments too.

Also it was incorrect to say that Mulroney was responsible for Canada's fiscal order or relatively good economic performance completely. Mulroney inherited a deficit of $30 billion in 1984 and turned it into a deficit of $45 billion 8 years later. Paul Martin did in 4 years what Mulroney failed miserably in 8 years!!!. True, I give Mulroney credit for Free Trade. In my view another reason for Canada's relatively good economic performance. The GST that Mulroney government brought in, made the early 90's recession much deeper. Yes you can always tax people to death to reduce deficit (which Mulroney failed to do) but not the right way to do. GST was likely a right thing to do (to help the deficit) but imposed at the wrong time (right at the beginning of a global recession in 1991 and made recession much worse in Canada and results in larger deficit). But also let's not forget we almost lost the country in 1995 because of his failed Meech Lake accord.... don't wish to open up that subject lol...

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r