Your opinion - Federal Election...

Make sure you get out and vote today, no matter which party, I vited the rub and tug party NDP

Me too :-).

It was a wash out at the time and my neighbor asked me if I really wish to go out to vote in this heavy rain (he himself had voted in advanced poll) and my answer was YES. I said because people all over the world are going out in rain of bullets and facing tanks to earn what we have been given. That is the right to vote and democratically elect a government. Rain is made of water not lead lol. Rain or shine Go out and vote!!!.

I did not go for the R&T Party, but for the greens... they won't win in my riding (or any riding East of Vancouver, for that matter), but hey, they thus get my $2 per year, and anyhow the bad guys (pick your definition of bad guys here) won't make it anyway in my riding...

Now, thinking about it, I may need my own R&T party tonight...

It's early... but a few thoughts.

This election was won and lost on the strengths of the leaders. The Liberals have fought two elections running leaders with the charisma of a wet tea towel.

Jack Layton wooed the kids and I was thankful that they actually showed enough political interest to turn out and vote. The NDP and Jack Layton now have to show they they are worthy of being the official opposition.

Ahhhh Quebec. FINALLY they have come to the conclusion that a federalist party is a better choice than a party that can NEVER hold power. Whew.

The center and the left. 60% of ALL Canadians voted center or left of center. The Conservatives learned that by unifying the right, the vote split was eliminated... we may see in 2015 a new political landscape with one major Center Left part (Liberal Democrats?)

Harper? He won. The campaign was to get more votes than the diverse opposition and the party did it. Not much more can be said.

Guest s******ecan****

The Liberals have fought two elections running leaders with the charisma of a wet tea towel.

This statement is an insult to wet tea towels everywhere.

Well, the people have spoken, as they say, but I gotta say that it depresses me.

Won't be pretty, that's for sure, with the Law and Order agenda, and the other nonsense views they have regarding science and society...

Edited by toine

Well there is one thing about the election that makes me, as a Canadian, very happy

The Bloc including it's leader is all but gone...a party dedicated to the break-up of Canada. That is good for Canada as a whole

Some musings

RG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM2kJnPmHIlEAB8pLBswNHMrO_ZhrDuRRtEsdtGyF0LznENKI4

This statement is an insult to wet tea towels everywhere.

I am sorry, but I couldn't find anything in mind less charismatic. I was thinking oatmeal, but being of Scots heritage I actually like oatmeal.

Tepid standing puddle water?

Guest s******ecan****
Tepid standing puddle water?

......anti-enviromentalist!

The center and the left. 60% of ALL Canadians voted center or left of center. The Conservatives learned that by unifying the right, the vote split was eliminated... we may see in 2015 a new political landscape with one major Center Left part (Liberal Democrats?)

Yes... a perennial problem. It really means, in the short term, that people have to vote tactically if they *really* want to keep the unified right out. In the longer term... you could look over the Atlantic to the UK, where they're having a referendum about changing their electoral system so that the second and subsequent choices of eliminated candidates get transferred, which means that you don't get this sort of problem. Vid to explain

:)

Or the left could also merge, but I that seems unlikely...

It's official. Michael Ignatieff has lost his seat in the house. The Conservatives ran a slice of dry whole wheat toast against him, and the toast was victorious.

Not to be outdone, Gilles Duceppe lost to a discarded orange rind run by the New Democrats. Elizabeth May is eying the orange rind with thoughts to making it a sustainable green source of energy.

Jack Layton is coming back to Ottawa with a lot of new friends. Jack likes the "business" we all enjoy.... so look forward to 70 new clients in town.

... and Stephen... well Stephen is back. Only 4 years, 5 months and 17 days before we can have our say again....

I think this is a a great result, so many positives to take out of this.

1) We finally have a majority and we can get away from these juvenile power struggles and have one path for the next 5 years. And for those of you that are afraid of the right, I would remind you of the strong power base that the Conservatives established in the Toronto 905 area - that area is historically socially responsible and fiscally conservative so I think there's every reason to believe that we'll have a socially responsible governing party.

2) The Bloc is dead - this is the best news. I'm sure historians will look back on this period and wonder how a party whose primary purpose was to break apart the country was even allowed to participate.

Just watching Layton's speech here ***- he does realize that he lost, right? I mean, I know that they made some progress but Layton doesn't seem to know that he is powerless in this session. Harper and Carney will have their hands full, LOL.

Not to rain on the "he didn't win the popular vote" parade but not many PM's have ever gotten more than 50%, ever. He did however win 50% from Ontario going west, which with apologies to my friends in the East and la Belle Province, is the economic engine that drives this country.

Kudos to Layton for ridding us of the Bloc. It is refreshing to see a federalist party with a real platform appeal to that province, unlike the Liberals who rode on the coat-tails of populist sentiment.

But make no mistake, this is a resounding victory for a government that kept us out of the economic turmoil that plagues the rest of the world.

Thank the stars, it looks like we will still be in the business of making money and we all know how much we like the paper around here :)

As for Quebec, good luck with that. But the french have squandered there energy wealth (yeah they make as much exporting power as Alberta makes exporting oil) on referendums and language policy its no wonder they want a change.

61% of Canadians did not want the cons and they are now going to decide how we all going to live our lives for the next 5 years. This is travesty as a sign that Canadian electrol system needs mending. What I see (and I hope I am wrong) is a Canada shifting to the right both in its foreign policy and internally a more religious state where individuals' rights and freedom of choice, in particular women's rights may come under attack and economically a country where poor will get poorer and rich will get richer. What we need is a runner up election (unless one party gets 50% of the vote the first round) between the top two contenters and whoever gets 50%+ should form the government.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

I was listening to the radio station just before I went to vote. The DJ made a comment which makes me shudder. "It doesn't matter who you vote for, just vote". Something seems terribly wrong when we promote this manner of non-thinking, just get in there and mark any old box at all because you have the right.

With rights come responsibilities. This is something we often forget. How about you *don't* vote. How about you stop for a moment and reflect on which party is best suited to represent your needs and wants. For that matter, how about we actually pay attention instead to the MP's we are electing. Of which I could find absolutely nothing about my local MP's. Zero, nada. Well sorry, I think I saw a picture.

It is a serious shame how we are provided so little information about the people we have control over electing. Yet we are expected, and legally required to "just get out there and vote".

I went out there and voted. Likely this will not benefit me in any way shape or form. Likely this will not result in any noticeable change at all. But now I have the right to complain?

I just hope people get out and vote. It's a damn shame we have the democratic right too vote, and to many people can't be bothered. But they will be the first to bitch and complain when they don't like what's going on.

Go Vote!!!

Damn it!!! :icon_biggrin:

you could look over the Atlantic to the UK, where they're having a referendum about changing their electoral system so that the second and subsequent choices of eliminated candidates get transferred, which means that you don't get this sort of problem. Vid to explain
:)

61% of Canadians did not want the cons and they are now going to decide how we all going to live our lives for the next 5 years. This is travesty as a sign that Canadian electrol system needs mending. ... ... What we need is a runner up election (unless one party gets 50% of the vote the first round) between the top two contenters and whoever gets 50%+ should form the government.

Did you miss the cat video? if this really concerns you have a look! It seems to eliminate this concern.

PS I love cats!!

Guest s******ecan****
internally a more religious state

This is just an assertion...... evidence please?

This is just an assertion...... evidence please?

What cons stand on issues such as abortion, prostitution, gays' rights, women's rights ...... are out of religious beliefs. I have met many religious people in the past 5-7 years who were determined to vote for conservatives only because they were against freedom of choice on above topics (even though they did not agree with cons in many other subjects that they stand for), and they believed that the cons will fight against them or will end them if they win a majority.

Lets see how Canada will be in 2015 on above topics. Also who will be the (nine) judges (appointed by PM) for the important job of a judge in the Supreme court of Canada.

Guest s******ecan****
What cons stand on issues such as abortion, prostitution, gays' rights, women's rights ...... are out of religious beliefs. I have met many religious people in the past 5-7 years who were determined to vote for conservatives only because they were against freedom of choice on above topics (even though they did not agree with cons in many other subjects that they stand for), and they believed that the cons will fight against them or will end them if they win a majority.

Lets see how Canada will be in 2015 on above topics. Also who will be the (nine) judges (appointed by PM) for the important job of a judge in the Supreme court of Canada.

hmmmm but many politicians derive their values or beliefs from religion.

You specifically stated the Conservatives were making us "internally a more religious state"

I'm not sure what you mean by this, it implies religious laws or the establishment of an official religion etc. I see no evidence of such.

hmmmm but many politicians derive their values or beliefs from religion.

You specifically stated the Conservatives were making us "internally a more religious state"

I'm not sure what you mean by this, it implies religious laws or the establishment of an official religion etc. I see no evidence of such.

I mean for example proposing or attempting to pass laws to ban freedom of choice stemming from their personal religious belief. I didn't mean a religious republic LOL. Proposing or passing laws to ban people's rights (women's rights, gay rights, .....) or proposing or attempting to pass laws to make consensual prostitution illegal and many other examples...... They all stem from their personal religious beliefs and they can keep them for themselves and not try to impose it upon the whole population.They were not running on these issues when they were voted in. If a government start making moral decisions and try to impose their rights and wrongs on the people (especially when 61% have voted for alternatives) then we will have a religious republic similar to notorious countries in the Middle East. Do we want that lol?.

I don't believe many politicians in Canada drives their values from religion (may be conservative politicians) but not the majority of Canadian politicians are religious zealots, I don't think so.

LOL...Don't worry Secret Admirer. I'm pretty certain that the Tories won't turn Canada into "a religious republic similar to notorious countries in the Middle East".

I absolutely agree with the sentiment that if they use their majority to introduce changes that weren't in their platform they'll quickly lose support across the political spectrum.

It will be an interesting four years but I hope that they manage to balance the budget and address the deficit by the end of this term.

Only 24% of Canadians voted for conservatives!!!!

Well, it is all over and we have to wait and see. I sincerely hope that you are right docottawa. I agree that if they try to use their majority to implement changes not on their platform they would quickly lose their support but even if their support falls very significantly, there is not a single thing that the we can do until another 4 to 5 years when there will be another election. In the meantime, theoretically speaking they can do anything they want because they have a majority (a blank cheque). I hope that they are wise enough not to do so, out of respect for democracy (something they yet have to learn lol!!!). I really do and I am cautiously optimistic from Harper's moderate stand on issues this afternoon with reporters. He said he wants to build on trust of Canadians and that he is humbled!!!. He should remember that only 24% of Canadians voted for him (that is 39% of the 61% who voted).

Of that number almost 40% voted Conservative, that is 1.3 million more than voted NDP .

What you failed to mention was that, this is also 1.3 million LESS than a majority of total votes. Also interesting that your title says enough with political mathematics and immediately below you throw in a whole bunch of numbers lol!!!.

For the life of it I can't even begin to understand why should an eligible person would choose not to cast a vote. I can understand if someone is sick that day or immobile but a healthy individual not exercising her or his vote is beyond me. People are ready to give up their lives in other parts of the world to achieve what most of us take as granted.

At the end we are both entitled to our opinions, but at the time (and likely for decades to come) your preferred way is the way our system works and will work.