With my new 4 month old pitty puppy Luna! Just wondering how many of us have fallen for a cute puppy or kitten lately. My dogs definetly make for a fun bed time! Sometimes I feel like Cesar Milan especially when I take my family on

walks! I must stop going to the SPCA but adopting dogs makes me smile on the inside!

Posted via Mobile Device

At the end of the day, they make you happy and I'm sure you return the love so they are happy. :icon_smile: Sounds like a wonderful situation and you are helping save them from the SPCA. :bigclap: Enjoy your quiet, or not so quiet, time with your friends.

I loved my puppy too when I was a child. His name was Maluse (Cutie). I had such a love for animals then. I was a vegetarian until I was 20 years old.

15 years ago too I met my brother's cat (I was all grown up then) and I fell in love with her too. She was so so very friendly. Incredible. She used to lay down on my chest and ACTUALY KISSING ME with her lips. Real kisses on my lips with her lips. Her name was Jinksey.

One of my dogs recently died I got her when I was eleven and it crushed me. I couldn't get out bed for like 2 days, thank goodness I had all my other fuzzy friends to comfort me. This is the first puppy I have gotten in a long time, I usually adopt older dogs so they can have a good couple last years. There is something so adorable about a dog with grey hairs on their muzzle!

Posted via Mobile Device

I have 3 cats. I don't adopt kittens or even healthy adults. I adopt elderly cats, or cats with some sort of medical condition or disfigurement that is not contagious but prevents them from being adopted. I have adopted 2 elderly cats in the last year. I would mention the disfigurement one of my cats has that makes him cute, but I'm afraid someone in "real life" would recognize this!

The elderly/abused/disfigured cats make such great pets because they are so loving and appreciative. The one cat I have that I adopted as a kitten 7 years ago is a super snob LOL but I love him just the same.

For those of you wondering, don't worry my cats are not at my incall!!!

I don't adopt kittens or even healthy adults. I adopt elderly cats' date=' or cats with some sort of medical condition or disfigurement that is not contagious but prevents them from being adopted. I have adopted 2 elderly cats in the last year. I would mention the disfigurement one of my cats has that makes him cute, but I'm afraid someone in "real life" would recognize this!

[/quote']

I love that! I do the same thing!

Posted via Mobile Device

Well in January I got adopted by a little grey kitten.

It was born in a ferral colony and if not adopted would have been fixed and returned.

Place is a mess..goes in my sock drawer, socks get dragged out to the living room, he dragged my coat into the living room (coat weighs more than he does), don't know if he is company, or a presence

RG

The building I live in doesn't allow pets :(

I want a kitty dammit!

Kudos to those of you who can have pets and are adopting ones that might not otherwise find a good home!

Dogs all the way! I have two, which I got as brother and sister from the same litter (so they've known each other from the womb forward!). They're awesome companions to me and I love them dearly. Plus, being a pair, they keep each other company when I'm at work.

I'm happily childfree, and these two are my kid-equivalents.

• Like 1

The building I live in doesn't allow pets :(

I want a kitty dammit!

Kudos to those of you who can have pets and are adopting ones that might not otherwise find a good home!

Check the law (it's provincial statute)...I know in Ontario under the Residential Tenancies Act (formally Landlord & Tenant Act) a landlord can't stop you from having a pet unless it is a danger or causes damage...even if the lease says no pets.

I only know because I went through this, with lawyer and all a few year back, and former landlords lost that round

If the law in your province allows it, get a cat, and beg forgiveness afterwards

RG

Thanks for the advice RG. Unfortunately, Winnipeg is kind of notorious for this thing and I don't have the time or money to fight it. Plus I really like the caretaker in my building and don't want to cause them any hassle just 'cause kitties turn my brain/heart to mush.

I just go to friend's places and adopt their pets for the day, not quite the same, but it still makes me smile

Don't worry about causing any grief to the caretakers, this is not against them, frankly not against anyone

You are paying them rent...it is a business relationship governed by legislation. You are exercising your rights under legislation. If the caretaker says anything, advise him it is legal to do so.

And remember the restriction of pets on your lease has no legal standing

Just get the cat and have him/her move in...don't even mention it

RG

Awesome to hear so many of us are rescuing animals who need help. I've got 3 dogs right now, all of whom were born stray and grew up stray. A pic from a short break on the ascent of Mt. Rundle:

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/img477522.jpg/

First peak for the two "smaller" guys, the big guy's got several peaks under his belt.

My cat died less than a year ago, but I'm hesitant to get another one until I can teach the dogs to ignore all cats, not just Sarge.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that loves their pets like family, I really do , sometimes I take my kitty on car rides and include him in my day.

Oscar, my love kitty! All the pets I have had were all adopted, rescued or found except for my prize AAA Koi fish and sea monkeys.

I speak to my pets, even my fish! If ever even my fish get's sick, I cry like a baby, I'm such a baby!

I write silly children s poems and such, here is a sample. It's about my Kitty that was found, he is blind in one eye so I dubbed him gangsta Kitty

Kitty Kitty Kitty Kat

Found you at the Laundromat

Alone and hungrily chasing a rat

Took you home and that was that

Now you have a nice place to rest at

Have a good meal, it's better than scrap

Do you some good to put on some fat

feeling good, happy Kat claimed my silk hat

Out the window you starred on the sil you sat

so free and safe far from any combat

So soft and sweet so nice to look at

Hope you'll come back again soon little Kitty Kat

Okay yeah silly I know

I gave up on dogs, each rescue I've had turned sour. Sometimes even the best dogs have a past with a screw loose. My year and a half rescued 120 lab/mastiff was the nicest dog ever and loved me so much. I never questioned why he followed me everywhere around the house even from the dishwasher to the fridge. Then, one night my man came home..he had a few beers. The dog was happy to see him until he got closer to him,he was fine until my man hugged me and he attacked him, bit his face, hands and a chunk off his hip. Blood sprayed the walls OMG I thought, so I intervened by getting in the middle, and he gave me a gentle "get out of the way nip" that exploded the vein in my arm, broke it in half pooled blood in my entire arm ewww, then sealed itself with a blood clot hematoma.

Turns out the owners boyfriend would abuse her when he was drunk and we had no way of knowing.

I'm going to cuddle my Kitty to bits now snnuglewoggles

I have 2 cats that are 14 years old, are in good health and came from the cat I had when I was younger. Their mother is 19 and still alive! One of them has 9 lives from jumping under the hood of my neighbor's car and riding to work with him unscathed. The guy heard meowing and he looked under the hood and my cat was sitting right there. This happened after he was hit by a car and in critical condition when he ran out of the house one night.

The third cat I have is close to 3 years old and I found him while I was out walking one morning. It started to rain and I heard a meow and a little kitten ran out of the bushes towards me. Being a sucker for cats and having grown up with so many of them over the years and volunteering in shelters when i was younger, I took him home. I considered taking him to the Humane Society but as days passed, I couldn't bring myself to do it knowing that it wasn't the greatest place for them due to the poor conditions there. I did look in the area for signs and online to see if anyone was missing a kitten but to no avail. I don't know if he was abandoned by his mother or if someone dumped him in the middle of nowhere. So i kept him and he has a very good home.

Edited by Nicolette Vaughn
typos

Well in January I got adopted by a little grey kitten.

It was born in a ferral colony and if not adopted would have been fixed and returned.

Place is a mess..goes in my sock drawer, socks get dragged out to the living room, he dragged my coat into the living room (coat weighs more than he does), don't know if he is company, or a presence

RG

Heeheehee my big kitty does this! He's always bringing me clothing from around the house, he's carried sweaters that weigh more than him all the way up the stairs!

Additional Comments:

Holy crap! I should really just go for it!

You just made my day :D

DO IT!!!! YAY TO KITTIES!

I adopted a fully grown kitty too and when I went on tour and left her with a good friend for a couple weeks, I fell in love with her all over again when I got home! Animals are amazing!! :)

Guest T**E******s
I have 3 cats. I don't adopt kittens or even healthy adults. I adopt elderly cats' date=' or cats with some sort of medical condition or disfigurement that is not contagious but prevents them from being adopted. I have adopted 2 elderly cats in the last year. I would mention the disfigurement one of my cats has that makes him cute, but I'm afraid someone in "real life" would recognize this!

The elderly/abused/disfigured cats make such great pets because they are so loving and appreciative. The one cat I have that I adopted as a kitten 7 years ago is a super snob LOL but I love him just the same.

For those of you wondering, don't worry my cats are not at my incall!!![/quote']

That's how I got my Jared, I went to the SPCA and ask which cat had been there the longest, scooped him up and took him home. He had been there 5yrs, and we had the best of times together.

To OP- they just light up your life don't they- *sigh* Misses having a dog.

What a wonderful thread and I am so happy to see that soooo many people love animals :)

My beloved baby boy died a few years ago and I found it very hard to even think of replacing him. (humongo boxer/mastiff) Then, two little souls (cute tiny rats believe it or not) snuck into my life and I now realize that my baby would be happy to know that I opened up my heart once again!!!

I will continue to spread the love with no regrets :)

I got my first dog in the mid-90s. She was a cast-off from someone I knew who didn't want her ("she's too willful and mischievous" said the person obsessed with obedience). I had always liked the dog and was happy to take her into my home. She kept me good company, to her credit sometimes being willful and mischievous, until she developed heart problems and finally had to be put down in 2002.

Choosing death for her (let's be honest about it) was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but luckily there was nothing ambiguous about it: she'd taken a sudden turn for the dramatically worse, there was nothing the vets could really do to improve her condition (though they could have kept her lingering if directed), and she was miserable. I made the necessary decision -- an unwelcome one, but no regrets under the circumstances.

I think the need to arrange and manage her care, and then the responsibility of making the final decision, protected me from some of the worst of the emotional impact at the time. But then it really hit me when I went back a week later to collect her ashes from the same vet's office, and stood in the waiting room amongst all the other living dogs waiting for attention, where I had sat with her so many times over the preceding year. I barely hung on long enough to take the box from the assistant, retreated hastily to my car, and lost it completely.

I waited several years before getting another dog, and this time I got my two sibling puppies, just eight weeks old. My one regret with my first dog was that she was alone through the day while I worked; as I mentioned in my earlier post, getting two helps with that. I got them in the summer of 2008, so they're 2-1/2 years old now. It's been my first time raising dogs from puppies, so it's required lots of patient training and close attention. It's been a great experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm always mindful that they probably have around 12 years left to them. I try to make sure they and I enjoy our time together as much as possible while it lasts! Happily, a decade is a nice long time to look forward to.

• Like 1

Yup.. avid animal lover here. I've always had cats and/or dogs.. and once also had a pet raccoon named Gus.

My beloved Lhasa passed 4 years ago at 13 yrs old. I decided when I was ready again to get 2 pups this time. I adopted 8 month old yorkie pups 4 months ago so they are now a year old.. and the delight of my days. Meet Timmy and Max!

IMG_0534.JPG

What a great thread! I love hearing about others' pets. I think that animals are good for us in so many ways. We have two ginger tabby cats who are brothers that we adopted via the Toronto Cat Rescue society eight years ago when they were just 8 weeks old. Their mother had been a feral cat taken in by the TCR. They're great guys and have always lived indoors.

A little over a year ago, we got a standard poodle for my son who was missing having a dog and had fallen in love with our friend's gorgeous, shaggy red standard poodle. The puppy is 15 months old now and just fabulous in every way. Soooo smart! Like our friends' dog, we keep her rather shaggy-looking rather than all "froo-froo" styled.

The cats had never seen a dog when the puppy arrived and it took them awhile to accept her. But the dog was so incredibly patient with the braver cat. Little by little, she's taught him to play with her, showing him over and over again that there's not an aggressive bone in her body. They're at the point now that the cat will snuggle against the dog, just for a few moments, and then sits on a table playing a game that the two of them have invented that seems to be about how many times the dog can touch one of the cat's paws with her nose before he gives her a gentle bop. It's very cute. The other cat, though, is more suspicious of the dog, even now. He's still thawing, but slowly. I'm sure he'd be happy not to have a dog in the house, but he also seems to recognize that she won't chase him and won't hurt him.

I also have an African Grey parrot who's lived with me since she was about four months old. She's navigated one marriage, the births of three children, and life with four different dogs, at various times, as well as the cats. She's 27 years old now and going strong. She'll outlive me, most likely.

So, I live in a sort of zoo. It's never lonely!

At one point when I was growing up our family had a cranky old orphaned when she was a kitten Tabby cat, 2 hamsters, a turtle, and a guinea pig. Fun times, there was always something to snuggle (except the turtle of course) after a lousy day at school!