Background checks

Hi! I'm really hoping someone can answer this question for me. 

My older sister works for the federal government. They do background checks on friends and family every 5 years. I didn't have this vocation the last time they checked. They require my name, and when I did a quick Google search of my name my ads popped up.

I'm unsure of what to do. I haven't done my taxes in 4 years and I don't have a license. 

Is my sister going to lose her job when they run my name? 

Fingers crossed someone can help me out with this! 

Thankyou 

Edited by Soul sucker

Does your sister know your current vocation? That might be a more important concern if she doesn't....

You're not breaking any laws. It's the clients like me who may be doing that.

Rest easy and do your best to disconnect your true identity from any on-line posting.

So, I'm confused.

Are you a provider using your real name and personal phone number? We use alias' and work phone numbers for this reason.

Might be a good idea to change that. Not just for the government checks but also for your safety.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I will treat your confidence with utmost respect to help. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

First don't panic over the background check...I worked for the federal government for 29 years, in an LE department, it was routinely done on all staff

Two how in depth is the screening...does your sister work in a government department that has high security standards (example CSIS or CSE) or something less security intensive (Post Office...just assuming they are)

Three, are they including a criminal records check (require her to be fingerprinted) and credit check? Both BTW require the person being screened to consent.  And for all the updated checks done on me in 29 years, only three times fingerprinted, when I got hired and two more times over 29 years employment.  Never required a credit check done on me???

Four, the focus of the screening is on your sister and any security/criminal concerns she has, not on you.  And for you this lifestyle isn't illegal.  They aren't looking to find out about you.  With that said you need to get rid of your real name for this lifestyle, and get an anonymous phone and email account. The only true red flag is non payment of taxes, get an accountant and get them paid

My 2 Cents

RG

• Thanks 3

Thank-you so incredibly much for your advice Roamingguy! Your answer has done a lot to put my mind at ease.

First off, I was very nàive when I started out. I did, and still do, use my real first name. I only have 2 email accounts. I've had the same phone number for 5 years. Lived in the same apartment for over 4 years. I haven't put up a posting since last April. I still have my very first client. 

Basically, I've become very comfortable and very complacent. The local police must surely be aware of who I am, and know I fall into the 'happy hooker' category.

It is shameful I haven't done my taxes though. It really bothers me.

My sister lives in Ottawa and has worked for the government for 25+ years. I don't know her job title, but once she got to go over John Baird's expenses report! (LOL). They fly her all over the world and stuff. She changes positions every few years.

I live in Edmonton and only seem to talk to my sister at Christmas time at our mom's instance. We are not close.

As for criminal offenses, well, my younger brother has 2 dui's. That's it. No one in my family even carries huge debt. My sister is so squeaky clean, I bet she's never even recieved a parking ticket.

Thanks in advance for your well worded answer,  so refreshing to read something that has all the correct vowels and punctuation. 

Again, thankyou. 

• Like 1

Federal Government security checks are done on all new employees and have to be redone after 5yrs the extend of the security check will depend on the security level needed for the employees position.  For most jobs the basic level is called "enhanced reliability" (for some positions includes credit check) and if this is your sisters level I would not expect and concerns regarding your employment as long as you don't have a criminal record and you said you don't.  For levels higher then enhanced reliability (secret, Top Secret) the review is more in depth and includes greater review of family etc to ascertain if these connections might increase the risk to the government.  If it is a higher level that your sister seeks they my make note of your employment (which as RoamingGuy has noted is not illegal) and they may bring it to management's attention but I would think it is highly unlikely that they would refuse her clearance.  Issues are often noted in security clearances but unless they are extreme (criminal record) it is normally left up to the departments managers to decide if it has any impact on the ability off the person doing the job. 

From what you have shared I don't think you have a problem regarding the security clearance but as others have said it would be very wise to move away from using your own name and phone number.

Like RoamingGuy I worked for the federal government for 35 years and my role frequently invoked me in dealing with security issues related to employees.

Just my opinion 

• Thanks 1

Hi  like some of the other members said you will be fine and rest easy  go in and file them taxes the people there will advise you what to claim and like the other lady said keep your personal stuff more private for your own sake..

Take Care

My opinion

• Thanks 1

It’s not illegal to be a service provider in Canada. As stated above, if  you have a criminal record or criminal associations that might influence her job, they can’t deny her clearance if her record is good.

Edited by Mature Angela