Sign in to follow this  

Please sign for change! #decrimilize

Had this forwarded to me by a lady I know, got it off immediately. It makes a difference so don't be lazy, only tales a few minutes to complete.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have indeed signed it when I saw the link on Twitter. But thanks for posting this Phaedrus. We really need this industry made safer and better for all involved and this is a positive first step. I only hope rational minds in government can prevail and not be coerced by do-gooders with no concept of the realities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have the opportunity to speak out and have our voices heard. 

One step forward, is a win for all of us. 

"Petition to the Government of Canada

Whereas:

The Supreme Court of Canada (Bedford v. Canada, 2013) found laws that violated sex workers’ Section 7 rights to "security of person" to be unconstitutional;

Bill C-36, the Protection of Communities and Exploited Persons Act, passed in November 2014, denies sex workers of their Section 7 rights to "security of person" in a roundabout way by criminalizing the purchase of sexual services for the first time in Canadian history;

Bill C-36 puts our most marginalized members of society at risk of being beaten, raped and killed because criminalization hinders their ability to seek assistance from law enforcement and puts barriers to accessing health, safety and other benefits available to workers;

Bill C-36 hinders workers' rights to negotiate the terms of employment;

Amnesty International has called for decriminalization of consensual sex work, including laws that prohibit associated activities, based on evidence that these laws make sex workers less safe and provide impunity for abusers because sex workers are often too scared of being penalized to report crime to police; and

Amnesty International has stated that laws on sex work should focus on protecting people from exploitation and abuse, rather than trying to ban all sex work and penalize sex workers

We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to repeal Bill C-36 to ensure all Canadians, regardless of their chosen profession, are not denied their constitutional right to security of person."

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3132

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1