Is this a crazy idea?

Hey all,

I've got a big backyard project going on at the moment (deck, stone patio & bar) with an above ground pool and a killer natural gas grill. The idea of offering my pad up for a social event popped into my head. (I'm a young bachelor, parties are the norm at my place). That crazy/inappropriate suggestion?

I've only attended one social at xmas and had a good time so I figure why not?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Sleeman

You may get some people who aren't discrete, but most clients and sp's respect one another.

But consider you neighbors are they type who woul be offended by this? just food for thought.

You may get some people who aren't discrete, but most clients and sp's respect one another.

But consider you neighbors are they type who woul be offended by this? just food for thought.

I have participated in and attended the last three socials and we only had problems with 2 people who were not discrete. The first one was banned from future events and then subsequently banned from CERB and the second one will not be welcome at the next event. Out of 3 events, 30, 50, and 50 people, I would say this is better odds than some so-called "normal" events I have attended.

I think the OP should just be concerned about noise levels and parking on his street, issues that anyone hosting a party would have. The idea of hosting an event at someone's place has been brought up, but nobody wanted to risk the liability of people drinking, driving or drowning, etc.

As for the discretion part, short of keeping the house off limits except for the washrooms, you may have some who might have difficulty with the temptation to relive their fantasy of being Tom Cruise in "Risky Business".

Just remember, no one person or group of persons has the exclusivity on hosting socials. If that's what you want to do, you are always welcome to do so, but you may want to consider the feedback from this thread first to see if it would be viable.

Edited by Mature Angela
  • Like 1

I think it's a great idea! If you dont mind strangers in your house/back yard then I say go for it! Maybe not an open invitation to just anyone, but having a gathering sounds like fun!

I've never gone to a social, I do not like the bar scene, but a backyard BBQ with a pool sounds like alot of fun!

GG, I applaud anyone who is sincerely trying to improve and bring positive energy to CERB. So congrats. One option might be to so a smaller version of the full 'social'. After some time on CERB I've gotten to know a few of the gents and ladies. I probably have a 'core' group of people who I think I know well enough who would be respectful and probably enjoy each others company in a smaller backyard party setting. So rather than open up to whoever, if you have 12-15 or so people who you think would have fun together, invite them over. You're likely to have a great time and avoid any problems that might come from a broader open invitation.

Cub

• Like 2

Some folks have replied privately and suggested the same. That would also help in that I don't know many folks on here myself. ;-)

I think it's wonderful idea, but be aware and consider the risks. I've attended four or five socials so far, and they have got better each time. So if you decide to go ahead, I would rely on people like Angela, Nicolette, and Ottanon for their input. They can be a good resource to avoid any trouble and troublemakers.

• Like 1

For what I understand he wants to do something similar to what Cub suggested so he will have not muc to worry about as it would be people he has met and to whom he trusts and a few others suggested by them.

I think it's wonderful idea, but be aware and consider the risks. I've attended four or five socials so far, and they have got better each time. So if you decide to go ahead, I would rely on people like Angela, Nicolette, and Ottanon for their input. They can be a good resource to avoid any trouble and troublemakers.

I've attended several socials and for the most part the people attending are a great bunch. That being said, I'd suggest going to another couple of socials to get a feel for the sort of people you get along with, and having a smaller personal invite event if you're hosting at your home.

• Like 1

I would go to this type of social and bring a few other cerb members with me that I know. I like the idea of it being private and not open to the public or people that are not members of cerb. The social Angela and I had hosted last month was in a restricted area that was not open to other bar patrons and while it was more formal than say something like a private house party, it was still relaxed.

The only other caveat would be to make sure this is strictly a meet and greet and members not having any expectations for any kind of funny business or hanky panky in the bedrooms. While the atmosphere at this kind of get together is more relaxed, I also don't want to feel like there are expectations for SPs to be groped or felt up when you are in a social setting. There is a time and place for that and it's called making arrangements to see an SP and paying for their time. If I go to something like this, I just want to relax and have a good time and not feel pressured to be on the clock so to speak.

There are a few other things to consider like...

-Being responsible that people will not drink and drive. Maybe make everyone leaves their car keys in a big bowl or something and have a designated person to make sure that no one will drive drunk. Perhaps have cerb members organize driving pools where someone will be a sober driver. Or take cabs.

- Noise level

- Discretion... where conversations can get loud in a back yard after people have been drinking. My neighbors are outside in their backyard right now and they are loud enough that I can hear what they are talking about. You don't want your neighbors to find out the nature of the party.

-Restricting access to parts of your home. Keep it on the main level and in the backyard. You don't want personal belongings or valuables stolen.

Good points.

- I have two dogs that would take care of keeping the bedrooms off limits. (as well as a gate at the stairs)

- There's a mailing list for my block in which I can let people know there will be a party. As long as it's moved into the house at a reasonable hour, no one typically has a problem.

- Discretion, that's a tough one. You're right about eaves dropping ..I'm in a corner lot with a large backyard but it can echo at night!

Guest C*****tte

The only other caveat would be to make sure this is strictly a meet and greet and members not having any expectations for any kind of funny business or hanky panky in the bedrooms. While the atmosphere at this kind of get together is more relaxed, I also don't want to feel like there are expectations for SPs to be groped or felt up when you are in a social setting. There is a time and place for that and it's called making arrangements to see an SP and paying for their time. If I go to something like this, I just want to relax and have a good time and not feel pressured to be on the clock so to speak.

If I were to attend this would be very important to me. A social for me is for a social exchange. An appointment is something predetermined and done in private.

Also if there is a noise complaint and hanky panky was going on while the police arrived it could possibly lead to quite a bit of trouble. I am sure we could say it was a swinger party but it might raise their suspicions nonetheless.

is there a hotel, motel, hostel, hammock ... near your place. Or could a tent be pitched .. an actual tent - not the " I woke up and was pitching a tent " type of deal.

If I were to attend this would be very important to me. A social for me is for a social exchange. An appointment is something predetermined and done in private.

Also if there is a noise complaint and hanky panky was going on while the police arrived it could possibly lead to quite a bit of trouble. I am sure we could say it was a swinger party but it might raise their suspicions nonetheless.

This would absolutely be geared as a social exchange! Time and place for anything else ...and there are a number of hotels nearby if need be.

Additional Comments:

is there a hotel, motel, hostel, hammock ... near your place. Or could a tent be pitched .. an actual tent - not the " I woke up and was pitching a tent " type of deal.

A number of hotels nearby ...yard is 6,000 sq ft but tents would prob not be a good idea lol

We had a discussion after the last social and said it would be cool to do a CERB bbq...but no one had a venue. I think this is an excellent idea, and would do my best to attend, depending on date and time. Looking forward to see how this progresses...

E.