Been contemplating a new addition and watched this show on CMT. Now I have no idea what breed to get. Please help me and share some stories about your dogs and why you chose the breed you did :)

Guest f***2f***

Nice thread Meg. My doggie is a mutt. I always save one from the pound. I hate to think of unwanted animals being destroyed so I do my bit to save at least one every decade.

I chose him cause he's cute and cuddly and he loves me unconditionally. I like a bigger dog that I can wrestle with and throw a ball. Had a Border Collie once but he was really high maintenance...high strung and anxious....I would advise against one of those.

If you want a pure bred I know folks (some on here) who love their poodles. I have a friend with a Standard Poodle...the big poodle...and I just love that dog!! Smart, affectionate and great company...soft to the touch...a little high maintenance but a real sweetheart (I'm still talking about the dog).

Got a guy like this from the pound when he was just a pup. Fantastic dog. If I ever got another dog, there would be NO doubt... it would be another German Shepherd. Great disposition, smart, obedient and he was the best friend a kid could ever have.

german+shepherd+puppy.jpg

I had labrador retrievers for a number of years. They are very loyal, smart, obedient, gentle with people, and sensible. No wonder they are used as the most common seeing eye dog.

Guest E*******h S******s

I tried the Humane Society but they only ever had big dogs and I'm in a small apartment. Wouldn't be fair to it. So I got myself a pure black shih-tzu named Tony. He's cuddly, smart, isn't yappy and he's the star of the dog park. Best dog ever.

As for other breeds, I agree about shepherds and standard poodles. Really smart dogs with great dispositions. Huskies tend to be a bit hyper but still a good dog.

My mom had a schnauzer in my childhood. His name was Sir Fred, and he was AWESOME. Smaller dog but not too small. Forgot to add my mom got him from the pound. He lived to a ripe old age. He was always a good dog.

schnauzer.jpg

The love of my life was a 120lb boxer. He was a chore in his later years eventho I loved the heck out of him. My goal is a small rescue and not necessarily a purebred but I am very interested in temperament. My experience says mutts are best but I wont rule out a purebred. I want a great affectionate pal that I can easily tote around lol.

I've had experience with 2 different Shi Tzu's and they are a great bread with a great little personality.

In both cases the puppies were very playful, intelligent and loyal. Their personalities are almost like little kids albiet a bit michievious at times. Being a small breed you don't need a huge outdoor space for them.

One word of advice is that this breed is prone to being spoiled so how well they are trained is a big factor. For example feeding them from the table (which I was very much guilty of) will ensure you have a permanent (and sometimes unwelcomed dinner companion) for every meal. These dogs are so cute that even the owners sometimes need some training as well :-)

Whichever type of puppy you choose I wish you all the best.

Honestly as long as you choose a dog with the same energy level as you any breed of dog will be perfect. I've had everything from tea cup poodles to great dane mixes. I'm a pound puppy lover and have a soft spot in my heart for older dogs that I know are less likely to be adopted... Probably why I usually have between 6 and 8 dogs.. Eeep!

Posted via Mobile Device

If you want a cute small dog, personally, I'd go bischon frise or miniature schnauzer.

I love poodles, but they get yippy when you go tiny. But you can't go wrong with a standard poodle. I grew up with one, and my parents got another just after I graduated high school. Incredibly smart, affectionate and generally awesome. Plus, no shedding!

Guest *D E**a

I still love the banned pitbull. Have owned 3 over the years and am sad mine will be my last. They are true people dogs. Shitzu's are really cute though. A neighbour of mine just got a puppy and he's soooo adorable!

i,m with Wellie have owned several labs and have two now great pets low maintenance fun at the beach- great frisby,or ball hockey players (believe me )just ask some time -lol- and hardly shed a hair and you can even have a blonde brunette or a gothic black one !!

Edited by renegade
spelling

i have 2 golden retrievers very good with people there not a cross dog but not much of watch dogs i think they would help the people rob the house lol but if u want some kind of a dog that could be a kid there a dog for u always got to be stuck to you

• Like 2

Reading this thread reminded me that there is a social group here on cerb for dog lovers. For those of you who don't already know about it, you can find it here:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=82&pp=10&page=3

I wish I could have a dog but alas my roommate won't permit it. Seriously though, it is a long term commitment that I am not sure I would be up for. Which is why I like visiting my friends' dogs.

I can't wait to find out what breed you decide on.

Guest tr*****e

I still have an older(7-8 year old) Border Collie/Golden Lab., and she's a great dog. She barely made any barking noise for the longest time(until my parents got that *thing* that they call a puppy), she's calm, knows her own name, and even learned a few tricks! Okay, not really tricks, but she knows how to shake a paw...

Anyway, older dogs FTW!!

I have had both big and small breeds.. bigger are usually better for being less high strung than smaller breeds. Mixed are always better for the same reason it's not a good idea for humans to mate with close relatives :P

I've had (family has had) poodles/poodle mixes, labs etc but the best dog we had was a german shepard/collie mix. She was fantastic. We inherited all of these dogs from owners who couldn't keep them due to lifestyle changes.

Personally I have owed a lhasa apso (loved her) and now 2 male yorkies. Smaller dogs almost always live longer.. so that's a consideration.

Golden doodles (cross between a golden retriever and a poodle) are awesome dogs. That would be my first choice if I were to get a larger dog.

Non-shedding dogs are on the top of my list. Lhasas/yorkies and poodle mixes among many others are on that list...

the shepard/collie was not.. hair was always everywhere! that was her only flaw.

so far I am leaning towards a yorkie (especially after seeing pics of Carries) mixed with something. I had a toy poodle as a teen and really did enjoy a small breed. Don't get me wrong, my best companion ever was my boxer but I feel the need to be with a sweet tiny little thing that I can cart around lol.

A Jack Russell Terrier...this one is Eddie from Frasier

ken47n1o5l.jpg

Personally, if I got a dog, it would be after I retired, I work too far away to keep a dog cooped up all day long in my apartment

And I think I'm partial myself to a German Sheppard...only thing, get them from a reputable breeder, they are prone to hip dysplasia.

Found that out the hard way as a youngster

RG

Well, went to the pet store today for provisions for my girls and was introduced to the skinny pig. It`s a hairless guinea pig and looks like a tiny hippo. OMG she was so sweet and actually whistles when she wants attention! Maybe I will forego the dog for now :)

ah the banned pitbull (so unfortunate) ... they are obidient, loyal and sweet despise what everyone else might judge them. I LOVED THEM and their facial expression. Id be more worried about a poodle.. those one are vicious.

I still love the banned pitbull. Have owned 3 over the years and am sad mine will be my last. They are true people dogs. Shitzu's are really cute though. A neighbour of mine just got a puppy and he's soooo adorable!

as you might guess from my avatar ... the best dog breed is a west highland white terrier ... they are friendly, but act like a big dog when required

Have to agree with Bailey Dog. I have had several dogs but the Westie has been the best so far. Loyal, very friendly, full of personality, will play or will relax- whatever the owner desires him to be. They just want to be around people and love the attention given to them. Very social with other dogs too and with kids if need be. Can't go too wrong with the Westie.