What motivates/inspires you?

What inspires me? People like Big Al, one of our very own here on Cerb. His honest and heart-breaking confessions of loneliness and sexual frustration instantly remind me how lucky each and every one of us actually is. There are so many things we are guilty of taking for granted. Until of course, something happens that jeopardizes that. Mobility. I guarantee almost all of us make each and every physical movement without giving it a second thought. Imagine not being able to just reach down between your legs for a moment of comfort or relief. Everything works down there, yet you can do nothing about it. For many of us, that alone would be excrutiating.

Even if he could do something about it, he never has any privacy. Due to his CP, he requires assistance for all tasks. When its time for bed, he's left from 12am. to 10am. alone in his bed, unable to move or turn over, let alone get up and go for a middle-of-the-night-pee. So for 10 hours a day he is alone, in his bed, a virtual prisoner in his own body, unable to perform even the most basic of movements.

Yet, he is an intelligent, unbelievably sweet, positive, understanding, patient, selfless, generous and an overall amazing human being. He has an incomparably great sense of humour and knowing him has changed my life in so many wonderful ways.

Big Al is my own personal hero. The first time I went out to see him, and could finally see with my own eyes, the daily obstacles this young man faces, I was instantly in awe of his unwavering positivity through it all.

Yes, we have all in our lives been faced with hard times. I am no exception, but when put into perspective, I can walk, talk, feed myself, type with all my fingers, drive a car, swim, ride a bike, masturbate...

So please, the next time you feel down or you've just had a shitty day, remember folks like Al who struggle everyday with much bigger hurdles in life than the rest of us. We, unlike them, have the freedoms of mobility and speech. Inspiration comes from those who do not but continue to carry on, despite the unfairness of their condition. I salute and admire you all.

• Like 3

I have really struggled with this thread. I didn't know how to voice my feelings and not sound shallow. Then, I heard something that inspired me and justified my true feelings...

"The most important relationship you have in your life is the relationship you have with yourself; cause, no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself" Diane von Furstenberg.

This really made me realize that I am the author of my own life story. I must first love myself before I can give to others and I do! I feel that I am a very compasionate person and this comes from self acceptance.

I have had many ups and downs in my life and way too many struggles but I am wise enough now to understand that these experiences have shaped me into the person I am now; a person that I respect and love.

I guess, inspiration needs to come from within before we can see and accept the multitude of inspiration that surrounds us. With self acceptance comes a great urge to help others and to learn from them!

• Like 3

Go so far away that you stop being afraid of not coming back

Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn how to do dance in the rain

Always remember who you are

I try to live by those quotes, not sure who wrote them, but they speak to me. I have been far in my life, I have had things happening to me, that today make me stronger then I use to be. I was in the hospital when I was younger, I have had a story of harming myself at some points and each day I see the scars on my arms...and years after years they are finally fading away...but they remind me of my struggles, fears and battles that I had against myself and others.

I have forgot more then once and even today, who I am, who I truly am. I tried to change for some peoples, because they are/were my friends, I have fallen in love...and change myself more then once. But at the end I do believe (I will sound harsh here), that you are truly alone in a way, people, friends, family, lover will be there by your side, love you, support you...but with inner struggle, you are always alone.

I remember who I am, where I come from and I hope, that I know where I am going. I've had so much shits in the past, I have been so far...that today not that much actually scare me...and I love dancing in the rain(nekkid or not!)

thanks for the nominations all:)

I did receive a couple of PM and emails since I post this...I just want to re-assure everyone that despite that I was to war against myself when I was younger, now I am fine:) I had some professional help in the past to help me deal with my struggles and (to my surprise) it did actually help me:)

Though even if now I am better, I still do believe that unless you find your true soulmate, you are alone for certain things. Struggling with inner darkness and those demons inside us is a lonely path that I believe take all our life. We all have them, so are in peace with them at a really young age for some it take longer, but we need to embrace who we are...and younger I had a harder time...but today I am more in peace with them:)

Not sure if it can be an inspiration or not....but love is what drive me, what make me wake up in the morning, I am still in search of it, maybe I will find it a day...I know that one day, someone, man or woman will love me for who I am. Someone that will share my passion, someone that will be able to handle how fierce I can be and how madly I can feel. I am maybe young, but I did love in the past and it was the most amazing feeling...now to find someone with whom I can be like this each day! I tend to feel too much sometime and this is what scared people away...

So many touching posts. When I lose perspective, I look into the eyes of my two children. They love me. Unconditionally. They see in me the things i often forget I have. And I see in them the beauty of honest love.

I wish you the best of your sobriety, Castle, any advice to your success would be valued by myself and I am sure by several more members on this board.

:

Sorry it took me a while to reply to this but I didn't feel I was in a position to give advice. And saying "just stop" isn't really useful advice, which is what I did. It recently hit me how I personally have made it and I guess if I was to give any advice it would be to not take the fight on by yourself. TELL people what you are going through. My drinking was very much done in secret so a lot of those people closest to me didn't even realize there was an issue. It would have been very easy to take this on myself but then it would have been even easier to let only myself down. But by telling those closest to me I knew if I cracked I'd be letting them down too. The thought of letting those people closest to me down is what has kept me away from it. So if I had to give any advice I'd say don't try and do it by yourself...might not work for everyone but it's what has worked for me so far.

Cheers! :p

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KtScrqtbc

We are all on the same road, all the twists and turns we are faced with I believe are tests. Some harder than others, but we choose our path and we then must deal with what we are faced. Having something to inspire us to keep going is essential in life.

Some of us may suffer with winter blues. So I felt that bringing this thread back to life might put a little warm sunshine on an otherwise gray cold day.

I can say that Penelope inspires me.

When I want so very much to partake in a particular activity, but know that I, (must), should ease off for awhile, I remember the strength that she has shown me in going through her personal ordeal.

If Penelope can pull through what she has pulled through, surely I can excercise abit of self control in making decisions.

Thank you Penelope..., wishing I could be with you.

I have to say CERB's own Penelope inspires me, facing and conquering her obsticles. And being couragous enough to share with the rest of CERB. Had a family member (may he rest in peace) who let the same obsticle beat him, he ended up losing his wife and kids to it. So it is no small feat what you have done, and are doing Penelope. You beat it, it didn't beat you. And you are a stronger person for it

Yes, you are an inspiration

RG

• Like 1

I was out on the town tonight and have had a few, but I will tell you something that has inspired me more than anything EVER...

I was at Cheers, (a bar in downtown Halifax) and while having a smoke, I had not one, not two but three homeless people come to me and ask me how my day was. Then they asked me for money. I gave them all some of course.

But one of them stuck out to me. She took the time to sit and talk, to tell a story.

She had no idea where to go tonight.

Having being homeless a number of times in my life, most recently 2 months ago, I sympathized with her, and really wanted to help.

My friend Katherine and I both gave her cash. She stated that she really just needed a place to sleep. Her life story of struggle, hard times and just plain bad luck has inspired me.

I never knew that in such a city as Halifax that there were next to no resources for homeless women! WTF! I really felt horrible for her, and I genuinely wanted to bring her to my lush hotel and pamper her...but would this tell her that I thought I was better than her? I dont know, I probably never will. I might never see her again, all though I hope I do. Why do we judge these people? Not all of the homeless are drunks, or drug addicts. She was not, and I believe it.

Anyway, her just being here, trying to survive has made me more humble, and sad. I think I have a hard time trying to make ends meet, and here she is with no possessions, no home, nothing to eat. This is exactly where I have been, and I have forgotten how good I have it. Thank you to her for being so human, and reminding me that we are all creatures of Earth.

My God, I wish I could just save the world somedays.

Sorry but this encounter has really moved me.

Not all judge,and know that you gave her more than money can buy,you gave her a chance to be heard,friendship. Acts of kindness like you displayed inspire me.I am an animal lover and have witnessed so much cruelty towards them,for nothing!Just some bored assholes thinking that picking on something helpless is fun,so knowing that there are kind and caring individuals out there is what keeps my hopes alive , that kindness will spread to the rest and become infectious!!

Guest **cely***r***ne

To inspire ONE person is fulfilling, to have inspired more than that is...I cant even explain it... there are no words for what I am feeling...gratitude...I am very grateful for all of you...and Im crying at this moment because I never once thought that there would be so many of you behind me, backing me up with all your support...Never in a million years could I imagine touching you in this way....Its made me lucky, fortunate. And I thank you all....from the bottom of my filled heart and soul. You now have in turn inspired me.

I must write a poem now, perhaps a song.

thanks for making me cry dammit!! LMAO!!!

Penelope I'm glad we've had a chance to tell you what you mean to so many of us. You've earned enormous admiration and love through your own loving presence and your many contributions.

Please watch until the very end and think about everything said here. Let's show everyone how great we are. Let's not hit back, but instead take the hits and keep moving forward. Because that's how winning is done. No one and nothing has the right to stand in our way.

Living

I have forgiven unforgivable mistakes,

I have replaced irreplaceable people,

And forgotten unforgettable ones,

I have acted on impulse,

I have been deceived by people

Who I thought incapable of deceit,

But I also deceived someone.

I've held to protect,

Laughed when I shouldn't have,

I have made lifetime friends,

I have loved and have been loved,

But I have also been rejected,

I have been loved but were not able to love back.

I have screamed and jumped of joy,

I have lived of love and made eternal oaths,

I've had my heart broken ... So many times!

I have cried listening to music and looking at pictures,

I have called someone just to hear their voice,

I have fallen in love with a smile,

I even thought that I was dying from nostalgia.

I have been scared of losing someone special,

That I did end up losing,

But I did survive and I continue living!

I am not just passing through life,

And you shouldn't either ... LIVE!!!

The best thing in life is to fight with persuasion and motivation,

To embrace life and live with passion,

To lose with class and overcome with courage,

Because the world belongs to those who dare.

And ... Life is worth much like to be insignificant :)

• Like 1

For anyone who thinks they are going through some crap

The pursuit of corporate castration inspires me. Thanks to unrestrained corporatism, we had Thalidomide prescribed, which I believe was the origins of this gentleman's lifetime dilemma. I'm curious as to what other corporate concoctions we are currently consuming, creating corporeal casualty and cerebral calamity?

(I'm V's little brother, C!)

Codename-V-vertigo-comics-9357462-317-320.jpg

Edited by oldblueeyes
Oh god i need a drink!

I came across this on tumblr, posted by a young artist.. and it can apply to anyone... I read it and it made me feel good... so I thought I'd share it..

tumblr_lunttlP9FT1qdhw92o1_500.gif

• Like 1

What inspires me?

Authenticity in people. Whether it is perceived as good or bad is irrelevant, as long as they are being honest.

cat