I just don't know where to start. It kind of starts with the blues then evolves into Rythym & Blues then into R&Roll, pop

We are blessed with many great names...people who understood the source of the blues - the pain of the share croppers, the poverty & discrimination of the U.S. Deep south. They also understood the power of entertainment and uplifting music:

Muddy waters

Chuck Berry

BB king

Eric Clapton

Keith Richards

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Little Richard

I can't name all, but these are just some of the luminaries that stood out - no doubt, absolutely no doubt I have missed many. Who have I missed?

Ahhhh....

Brian May from Queen.... probably the most distinctive sound in the history of rock

Jimmy Page was a pretty decent axeman himself....

Pete Townsend (when he wasn't destroying his guitars) could lay down a few riffs....

The greatest guitar guys are Eric Clapton and Bruce Cockburn, hands down. Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray were awesome, but Clapton and Cockburn have taken what they were doing much farther, I think.

Well let me start with Carlos Santana. He is awesome.

Let me mention a few jazz players:

- Lenny Breau (he has been dead a while but he made an impact)

- Pat Martino (just an amazing player, with an amazing story)

- Charlie Hunter (plays an 8 string which has the bottom 3 strings from a bass and the top 5 strings from a regular guitar)

- George Benson (just his jazz stuff and not his soul stuff)

I agree with Samantha about Bruce Cockburn

I will end with Leona Boyd

A few off the top of my head:

Pete Green former member of John Mayalls Bluesbreakers AND founding member of Fleetwood Mac. After all he is a

Tony Iommi author of some of the hardest and heaviest riffs of all time. An especially difficult feat to accomplish considering he is missing the tips of his middle and ring fingers on his right hand due to a sheet metal accident at his former place of employment. Although not the sexy version of Sabbath check out the riff in Voodoo by the Ronnie James Dio era version of Sabbath.

Eddie Van Halen of course from late seventies and early eighties powerhouse Van Halen. He invented a new technique referred to as "tapping" which he does very well on his axe of choice, for further proof see

Richie Blackmore the temperamental guitarist, and founding member, of Deep Purple the critically acclaimed but underrated British quintet. "The Man in Black" is THE man responsible for one of the most recognizable riffs in all of rock and that is of course "Smoke on the Water." If that isn't enough proof please

Angus Young of Aussie rockers AC/DC and the man responsible for the catchiest grooves and riffs of all time, need proof here it is.

Zakk Wylde, yet another in a long line of guitarists for Ozzy Osbourne. Wylde can and should be considered a Slash clone in that his influences and tastes range from Country to Blues to Pop. Zakk Wyldes talents are varied but consistent at the same time due to his varying talents. Examples can be found here,

and
of his metamorphosis.
Edited by S***ec*****s

I just don't know where to start. It kind of starts with the blues then evolves into Rythym & Blues then into R&Roll, pop

We are blessed with many great names...people who understood the source of the blues - the pain of the share croppers, the poverty & discrimination of the U.S. Deep south. They also understood the power of entertainment and uplifting music:

Muddy waters

Chuck Berry

BB king

Eric Clapton

Keith Richards

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Little Richard

I can't name all, but these are just some of the luminaries that stood out - no doubt, absolutely no doubt I have missed many. Who have I missed?

Stupid me - Little Richard wasn't an axe god.

Stupid me - Little Richard wasn't an axe god.

Very true, but no one else picked up on it :icon_biggrin:

How about a tip of the hat to some Canadians.

Neil Young

Randy Bachman

Alex Lifeson

A few more...

Dick Dale.... where would the surf sound be without Dick Dale? His guitar defined the SoCal Surf music era.

Ritchie Blackmore... the one song that EVERY guitarist starts out on... Smoke on the Water.... 'nuff said

Mick Ronson ... the man played for pretty much everybody. Saw him in 83 on the Serious Moonlight tour with David Bowie. That man was talented.

Joan Jett... props to Joan, she can play.

Angus Young ... let's face it, if you can play dressed as a schoolboy with your brain constantly being crashed against the interior of your skull for 35 plus years and still deliver that ACDC sound, you gotta be talented.

Where do I begin, there are so many. This is by no means a finite list:

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Jeff Beck

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Steve Vai

Joe Satriani

Eddie Van Halen

Ritchie Blackmore

Tony Iommi

Brian May

Angus Young

David Gilmour

Randy Rhoads

Glen Buxton

Joe Perry

The Edge (Dave Evans)

Kirk Hammet

Carlos Santana

Ace Frehley

Rory Gallagher

Just to name a few...

Edited by Mature Angela

A few more off the top of my head:

David Gilmour

Billy Gibbons

Ace Frehely

Steve Howe

Frank Zappa

Slash

Can't forget George Harrison, John Lennon, and Sir Paul. And yes, his first instrument was guitar, started playing bass when the Beatles couldn't find someone else. Their creativity certainly changed the way many guitarists looked at playing.

Very true, but no one else picked up on it :icon_biggrin:

How about a tip of the hat to some Canadians.

Neil Young

Randy Bachman

Alex Lifeson

There is also:

Rik Emmett

there are many great guitar players. my fave

ERIC CLAPTON

TONY IOMMI

ZAKK WYLDE

EDDIE VAN HALEN

NEAL SCHON (JOURNEY)

DAVID GILMOUR

BILLY GIBBONS

STEVE MORSE (DEEP PURPLE)

RITCHIE BLACKMORE

KENNY WAYNE SHEPPARD

Plus Duane Allman, Buddy Guy and Bo Diddley. And as far as up and coming guitar gods go, Derek Trucks certainly ranks up there for me.

Yngwie Malmsteen baby!

Okay, if we're going to mention some neo-classical shred, I'll mention Paul Gilbert from the band Racer X.

as well, I can't remember the Guitar player's name from Extreme, but in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure he did this:

Moving on to thrashier stuff:

Dimebag Darrel Abbott

Say what you will about Pantera, but this guy had great tone, and was equally comfortable with shredding at light speed as he was chugging along on a crushing mid tempo number. He also had a talent for sounding both beautiful and haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6gq0dy2d8s

Scott Ian

One of the most rock solid Rhythm guitar players with a crushingly heavy guitar sound. He's basically responsible for writing the first nu-metal riff with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9q04dt9XSc

But I won't hold it against him. He also wrote tons of classic, stick to your brains riffs in Anthrax that usually had more melody than his peers at the time.

Dave Mustaine

The amphetamine fueled, sneering, pissed off speed demon of the 80's. His Rhythm parts sounded like most people's leads!

Gary Holt

Criminally underrated. His band, Exodus is also very underrated. That is all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRvAXBKvv-8

Jack Johnson

Simple, understated, melodic and beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5kxOGhqrw

Most overrated guitar players: (remember, this is just my opinion!)

Zakk Wylde:

If I hear one more pinch harmonic come out of this guy i'm gonna puke.

Kirk Hammet:

Hendrix worshiper, no originality to be found.

If you took this dude's wah pedal away from him he would be so lost, he would never be found again :p

surf the extreme guitar player's name is nuno bettencourt and yes he is very good. i saw extreme live back in 92, his solo was amazing.

• Like 1

surf the extreme guitar player's name is nuno bettencourt and yes he is very good. i saw extreme live back in 92, his solo was amazing.

Yes, he's talented, but... far too pretty for his own good. Sorry, but you just *can't* claim any sort of rock'n'roll credibility if you look like you've just walked out of a shampoo advertisement.

+1 on David Gilmour - the guy has a knack for pulling a perfect solo out of nowhere.

And I can't believe nobody's mentioned Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King yet.

my faves can make a guitar Talk, like,

Jeff Beck, in his version of a Beatles tune

And he uses no pick !

Edited by Suzirider
added last line

Mason Williams (classical Gas), Robert Cray (Best buzz saw sound)anyone hear of David Hole and Jeff Lang from Australia? (Monster slide Guitars) just a few from outside the box

Okay, if we're going to mention some neo-classical shred, I'll mention Paul Gilbert from the band Racer X.

Don't forget he was a member of Mr. Big for a long time...god I hate that ballad!

A few more:

Scott Moore

Robert Fripp

Eric Johnson

Robin Ford

Keith Richards

Michael Schenker

Randy Rhoads

Tommy Bolin (Vince Neil sounds EXACTLY like him)

Ronnie Montrose

Prince

Traci Guns

Gary Moore

John Sykes

Mick Taylor