Is It Me Or Is It Too Soon....

Just came back from grocery shopping, egg nog out already.

Haven't had Halloween yet, now a Christmas drink out already

Getting way too commercialized

RG

RG

Ugh...waaaayyyy too early for egg nog!!!!

As far as I am concerned, yes it is to early for the nog.

Just wait till after next week, when practically every store will have all there Christmas items out.

I agree the winter holidays - particularly Christmas - have become very much a commercial affair. That being said, I do love eggnog!

I personally endeavor to make hand-crafted gifts for my close friends and loved ones. Last year I made everyone a set of wood-burned coasters - the designs befitting each person's personality. And of course baked goods like truffles, toffee, brittle and cookies never go unwanted!

With the Occupy Wall Street movement spreading like wildfire, I truly hope more people will revert back to more traditional gifts knitted, cooked, sewn or crafted rather than purchased in a big box store. Or at least buying handicrafts off of a craftan or artist.

Though I do love Cochrane's eggnog.... they're local, so I can feel good about guzzling it down! :-)

I'm not a fan of the Christian faith, so I don't really care if Christmas is commercialized. I think there are more important things to worry about in the world than on what date eggnog comes out.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Did you happen to notice if it was made in China? LOL

BTW the decorations were out for sale at Rona 2 weeks ago.

Way too commercial. You bet.

I miss the old days.

J

I think there are more important things to worry about in the world than on what date eggnog comes out.

Like when it expires, because that could make you sick.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of the Christian faith' date=' so I don't really care if Christmas is commercialized. I think there are more important things to worry about in the world than on what date eggnog comes out.[/quote']

Christmas isn't about Christians , it's a commercialized holiday to make the most money possible, like Roamingguy says, eggnog already!

I know right! Christmas everywhere, my boy made his list last month!

On that Note

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

• Like 1

It does seem to come earlier each year,it's all about marketing,the nice thing though about christmas is most people throughout the holidays are usually in better spirits,maybe because they are drinking more spirits! Well people just seem happier around that time of year thats what I like,also the chance to have another turkey dinner,the one thing I can cook well.

This year if you have a little extra why not donate to a local animal shelter they sure would appreciate it.:bigclap:

Maybe if the store had out a collection jar for a food bank or shelter or something else, right now, to help those less fortunate it wouldn't sit so wrong with me. This is just to help a corporation make more bucks off a holiday which is over two months away.

Contributing to an animal shelter, well I took a feral kitten off a shelter's hands last year, and paid for it ever since LOL

Perhaps if we all remember it is better to give than receive, and we didn't need a holiday to practice it

RG

So commercialized ! ......and most recently, politicized. Not the religion as a whole, as the usual political tool, but now encouraged to be generalized and sanitized of a specific religious faith. The Christian Faith, at least.

We're encouraged to now wish "Happy Holidays!" rather than "Merry Christmas!".

Entirely commercialized. It's now, and has been, a Commercial shopping "season" in retailing for many decades.

No longer a 2-3 week sales blitz we used to see in our childhoods.

A full retail season that starts before Halloween and ends in January with the post-Boxing Day sales.

She promised to spend less this Holiday Season...on wrapping paper.

....just ribbons.

"We can afford more rum for the eggnog now!", she said...

Merry Christmas to all !

Christmas+Lingerie.jpg

I view this whole season as a reason to lavishly decorate my house and gather with family and friends. We cut out the whole gift thing a few years ago. Now, it's a great excuse for parties! Perhaps one day the wonder will return once I have grandchildren lol

• Like 1

While I think it's definitely too early for the annual Christmas values debate...

So commercialized ! ......and most recently, politicized. Not the religion as a whole, as the usual political tool, but now encouraged to be generalized and sanitized of a specific religious faith. The Christian Faith, at least.

We're encouraged to now wish "Happy Holidays!" rather than "Merry Christmas!".

Entirely commercialized. It's now, and has been, a Commercial shopping "season" in retailing for many decades.

No longer a 2-3 week sales blitz we used to see in our childhoods.

A full retail season that starts before Halloween and ends in January with the post-Boxing Day sales.

For some reason, it just never feels too early to enjoy the season's fashion!

Christmas+Lingerie.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Christian faith' date=' so I don't really care if Christmas is commercialized. I think there are more important things to worry about in the world than on what date eggnog comes out.[/quote']

I'm not really sure Christmas has very much to do with Christianity at all, these days. Okay, so people still give it a passing nod, but Mammon appears to have taken over entirely for many of us. However, I will say that I can only cope with it for a couple of weeks, so I refuse even to recognize its existence until well into Advent.

Also, eggnog is an abomination :)

I'm not really sure Christmas has very much to do with Christianity at all, these days.

I would agree with you, but I find the people who argue that Christmas is "too commercialized" are trying to return the holiday to the Christian faith and its values.

Well I for one enjoy Egg nog so the sooner it comes out the better wish it was out year round

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I would agree with you' date=' but I find the people who argue that Christmas is "too commercialized" are trying to return the holiday to the Christian faith and its values.[/quote']

Fair enough. I can't really blame them for wanting their religion and its festivals back, even if I don't happen to believe in it myself. Of course, it's always fun to point out to those people the origins of some of their cherished symbols (Santa, holly, mistletoe, evergreen trees) but that's probably a thread for another time :)

What I'm complaining about is the fact that I'll probably have had enough of Xmas before we even get to Hallowe'en, and there's something wrong about that.

I just celebrate Saturnalia. It's more fun anyway.

Pffft. Who cares what the excuse for the party is? The important thing is....

party-fails-the-weekend-party-time-headphones.gif

MMMMMMM thanks RG I love egg nog. I must get me some next time at the grocery store :)

RG

Pffft. Who cares what the excuse for the party is? The important thing is....

party-fails-the-weekend-party-time-headphones.gif

The important thing is that my retinas are now seared with that image.

• Like 1

Well I for one enjoy Egg nog so the sooner it comes out the better wish it was out year round

Posted via Mobile Device

MMMMMMM thanks RG I love egg nog. I must get me some next time at the grocery store :)

I love Egg Nog as well!!!

... and it's just a drink. It's like eating turkey in July or barbecuing in January... it is traditionally associated with Christmas but some smart marketer probably said, "We sell a shitload of the stuff in late November and December. Let's see if we can sell some in late September and October!" (My daughter snapped a pic of Egg Nog at Zehrs in Kitchener on the 28th of September.)

As for the Christmas thing? I love it. It's not for the Christianity background, it is the sense of fellowship and camaraderie. A few years ago I worked in a very mixed environment with persons of all faiths working together. The last Christmas party we had was organized by a Pakistani Muslim girl, a Sri Lankan Buddhist guy and a Canadian Sikh girl. They understood that what Christmas is now is not what it was in the biblical sense... and they really got into the fellowship, not in a common religion, but in the common good - the love for your family and friends. Plus they drank like fish and we all got very drunk.