Depending on the year, Charity Navigator and Forbes rate UNICEF's efficiency at 87-91%, not 14%. World Vision Canada's efficiency is rated at 81%, not 52%. etc etc ...

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4617

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/14/charities08_The-200-Largest-U.S.-Charities_Name_8.html

These email-spread urban legends debunked:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm

I donate to World Vision Canada. Their statement about this:

World Vision's Response to Misleading Email

We have learned of a malicious email that has been circulating. The email names World Vision Canada and a number of other charities, and its anonymous author makes several claims about how donations are being used.

All of the allegations made about World Vision Canada's president and CEO Dave Toycen and the organization's use of funds are completely false.

False Allegations are Harmful

While unfounded, these allegations are having a negative impact on the life-saving work we do for children and their communities. We are sad to report that these false rumours have caused some people to cancel their sponsorships. It's devastating to think that one reckless email can have such an impact on the lives of boys and girls struggling to overcome the effects of poverty.

These fabricated rumours are particularly distressing to Mr. Toycen, who has spent his life devoted to the alleviation of poverty. He spends much of his time traveling to impoverished parts of the world, tirelessly advocating on behalf of the children and vulnerable communities he serves.

We are also concerned that these comments call into question the steadfast commitment and integrity of our base of generous supporters as well.

Always Transparent and Accountable

Accountability in the use of funds and transparency to our donors are among our core values. We take these things very seriously at World Vision. As evidence of this:

the facts about our executive compensation including the president's salary are published openly on our website;

our annual report and independently audited financial statements are also available for review; and

members of the public with further questions are invited to call World Vision Canada at 1-866-595-5550.

The Facts

As an organization, our goal is to help as many people as possible and ensure that donor funds are used wisely and efficiently. For the fiscal year 2010, 81.1 per cent of our total income was used for programs that combat poverty. Here are some additional facts about Mr. Toycen:

Mr. Toycen's salary is $184,000 annually. Given that he is responsible for a $400 million organization and more than 500 employees, his compensation falls well below industry standards.

He does not live in home worth $700,000 to $800,000. He and his wife have lived in the same modest house outside Toronto for more than twenty years.

He does not receive housing allowances of any kind.

He has never received any special benefits for his two adult children.

He flies economy class when traveling abroad on business.

He does not receive paid holiday travel or lodging.

He does not receive a premium benefits package.

He does not use the most cutting-edge technology.

Deceptive rumors can be very damaging to World Vision's reputation, hindering the organization from focusing on the relief, development and advocacy work we do in bringing a brighter future to the most vulnerable children and families around the world.

http://www.worldvision.ca/CustomerService/Pages/AboutUs.aspx#

Although hearing or reading things like this it does cause people to be alarmed. But it is important to cross refernce your material, never take just one source of information to be true.

The statement about the CEO of AMERICAN REDCROSS, Marsha J Evans..

The figures do seem to be outrages for sure! If the number's are right, well...hmmmm ya.

But also need to consider that her position is a demanding one, and is, I am sure stressfull. So does she deserve to be paid well, sure she does! To have her job title does not happen over night, and requires dedication and years of education.

But I can see your consern CC, nothing wrong with questioning these things:)

Money sense magazine has a great rating system and lists the charity 100 in canada really useful info for those of us that like to make sure our donations are used for what we intended.

http://www.moneysense.ca/2011/09/15/the-2011-charity-100/

http://list.moneysense.ca/rankings/charities/2011/health/Default.aspx?sp2=1&d1=a&sc1=0

You can access the Charity Information returns filed by any Registered Charity in Canada, and see how they spend their money for yourself.

It's also a great way to check on some of the scams that are circulating - whether its someone promising huge receipts for a small donation, or a new organization looking for funds.

CRA also lists any charities who have had their charitable statuses revoked (and thus are no longer eligible to issue receipts).

With so many organizations competing for my hard earned $$$, I like to do a bit of homework before handing it over.

I feel sort of misinformed and ignorant, at the end of the year I donate heavliy to several charities. World Vision, the local church and another church that is important to me. It had never even occurred to me about the salaries that are paid out. A great eye opener Christie, thanks.

My favourite way to give back to my community and the world is by direct involvement. It helps me feel connected to a cause, and I can get a better sense of what kind of effect my contribution is having that way. As well, I strongly believe in the relevance of Gandhi's assertion that we much 'be the change' we want to see in the world. Absolutely this includes using one's financial resources to fund the things we care about, but also to use the skills at my disposal to make my small corner of the universe a friendlier, safer, healthier place in whatever way I can. And to support my friends in doing so, too.

As a bonus, I find hands-on activism to be a really helpful antidote to angst re: the human condition.

The local Food Bank, mostly via cash donations. They are always on the look out for large freezer bags and empty egg cartons if you want to donate something other then food.

• Like 1

It is fairly obvious that many of the larger charities have big administrative and marketing overheads. I tend to give my charity dollars to smaller local community based charities, some of which I do volunteer work for. That way I can see how the money is spent and get more personal satisfaction in seeing the results.

Charity first and foremost starts at home.

The other option is to donate time. Many charities (especially smaller local ones) have very few paid employees, and rely on volunteers to deliver their programs and services.

It's quite easy to find a cause you support and offer some time.