Something about the Maritimes

There is an allure to the Canadian coasts that has haunted me for many years.

I was but a young lad when I first traveled to the Eastern Province locations (not in any particular order): Shediac, Baddeck, Peggy's Cove, New Glasgow, Cabot Trail, PEI, Flower Pot Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Sydney, Frederickton, Moncton, Halifax. Goodness knows how many other spots I've missed.

In my older years, I've been to the West coast: Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Squamish.

In my 2nd older years, I've been to Maine...including Kennebunkport, Portland, Wells Beach, Ogunquit, Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Wrightsville Beach, etc..

Maybe it's my Canadian pride, but by far I prefer the Canadian landscape!

Each coast has it's own flavour and own seafood specialties.

I'm an Ottawa guy, but I need to do another visit. Any recommendations?

Guest ***yP*l

Like you, I've been to many of these find coastal places and be it the east coast or the west coast I've loved these trips and the people I've encountered yet I am ashamed to admit I've never visited Newfoundland. I say ashamed because it's the only province I have yet to discover and because I have known so many fine people from there. I'd go to Newfoundland and plan to go there this coming summer.

Glad to hear it, Jabba! What are you looking for recommendations of? Places to visit on the East Coast? Or companions to visit on the East Coast? Or both?:grin:

Have you considered doing a Newfoundland trip? Driving up the West Coast of Newfoundland is pretty phenomenal and Gros Morne park is quite a treasure.

The Nova Scotia Annapolis Valley and South Shore make for a nice loop as well, especially in early fall.

St Andrews is a pretty nice spot to spend a few days in New Brunswick as well.

Not that I am in the least bit biased, but the Maritimes are indeed a unique part of this country. It IS a different lifestyle and there are two life speeds, slow and slow motion. Being respectful and using good manners are just routine in day to day life.

Like Hfxandy I am unsure of the exact direction of your question so if you want to clarify I would be glad to add my two cents worth regarding specific locations to visit, especially on PEI.

I am also smiling to myself with the secure knowledge that we have our treasures here with our very own Maritime SP's. Now when Emma comes home, and if Gabriella keeps visiting the Maritimes and if Sara McQ loves her February visit to Halifax as much as I know she will, then perhaps they will join Emily Rushton in calling the East Coast home. :)

Then Jabba will be REALLY correct when he says, "There's something about the Maritimes."

Come play on our Island. :)

• Like 1

I am one of the many Maritimers who traveled west many years ago for work and got drawn back home. There is something about the Maritimes that draws people back. Also, Canadians have a reputation, internationally, as very polite friendly people, but within Canada the Maritimes have the reputation of being very friendly people, so I think we are very unique people, in the very best way.

• Like 1

I guess I was really asking an open-ended question on reflection. It's like I'm a kid in in a candy store with no clear idea what I want. Maybe I want to revisit my youth.

I remember the Eastern Maritimes as adventure and unbelievable scenery. There are just so many incredible sights I remember in my mind's eye. In the East, the colourful homes by the ocean; the Annapolis Valley, Cavendish Beach... ooooh but, wait - there's The Rock. Never been there. Gotta go.

I remember the Western coast in it's own right as a landscape where every curve is a completely different story - so full of dark mystery, of tall trees, discovery of waterfalls..then barren, flat, one-horse towns in the middle of no-where.

I love them both and their beauty is unique. I'm torn.

Guest MrN*ceG***7

a few years ago I picked up a hitchiker from Norway..he was a school teacher who took 3 and a half years to travel much of the world..As I asked him what he would recommend as far as natural beauty was concerned..( sorry SP's but you cannot compete with natura beauty) opps did I just say that...smiles The guy from Norway replied Number one JAPAN , Number two..Yellowstone National Park...and Number three...drum roll please...was Cape Breton Island...already written up by National Geographic as well as GQ magazine as one of the best Island vacation spots in the world...you want pristine...thr the Bras'dor Lake...155 miles by 85 miles of salt water...amazing...And the Cabot Trail is world class..so if you are planning on going to the ROCK...then you have to see what Cape Breton a.k.a Paradise Island has to offer...

There is an allure to the Canadian coasts that has haunted me for many years.

I was but a young lad when I first traveled to the Eastern Province locations (not in any particular order): Shediac, Baddeck, Peggy's Cove, New Glasgow, Cabot Trail, PEI, Flower Pot Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Sydney, Frederickton, Moncton, Halifax. Goodness knows how many other spots I've missed.

In my older years, I've been to the West coast: Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Squamish.

In my 2nd older years, I've been to Maine...including Kennebunkport, Portland, Wells Beach, Ogunquit, Cocoa Beach, Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Wrightsville Beach, etc..

Maybe it's my Canadian pride, but by far I prefer the Canadian landscape!

Each coast has it's own flavour and own seafood specialties.

I'm an Ottawa guy, but I need to do another visit. Any recommendations?

Well of course I will say nova scotia,CRISTY's PLACE ,lol,no just kidding,but not about our fine province,anywhere in ns is beautiful ,I love going to mahone bay,chester,so pretty,it never gets"old",come and enjoy,"HALIFAX" also so nice especially in the summer.

There is a nice small Acadian fishing village, that has stood still in the face of time. Boutcouche, it is a beautiful place with the greatest seafood deals!! The longest boardwalk, takes most of the day to walk it. All up that coast makes for an interesting tour:)

Edited by Studio 110 by Sophia
  • Like 1

I've been out there a few times, and in addition to the natural beauty (which is outstanding, especially the National Park) there's really something to be said for the "East-Coast Hospitality". I'm not from there myself, but one of my stepparents is originally from Chicoutimi, so whenever I visit, I'm automatically considered family, with all the kindness and hospitality that entails (even though I'm not technically related to anyone there).

It's just a completely different mentality than what we're used to in the cities. Everyone is part of the community, everyone looks out for each other, and they support each other when times are tough. They're also some of the kindest, most trusting people I've ever met, and during my last visit, I was able to introduce one of my friends to a way of life that she never even knew existed.

We were staying with my aunt, and went outside to get some things from our car. My aunt's jeep was sitting in the driveway, with the doors unlocked as they usually are (people in Cape Breton don't lock their doors if they don't have to, and that goes for their homes as well). My friend looked at me with a concerned look on her face, and said, "Shouldn't we tell your aunt that her doors are unlocked?" I smiled, and motioned towards the interior of the car, and she took a closer look - to see that the keys were dangling in the ignition! :icon_mrgreen:

I haven't been there for a couple of years, and I think I'm long overdue for a visit. I've been to Halifax a few times on tour, maybe during my next visit I'll have to extend my trip for a few days, to make sure I have time to go back!

Long story short, if you're interested in natural beauty and enjoying the company of some really great people, you can't go wrong with Cape Breton. :)

• Like 1

We were staying with my aunt, and went outside to get some things from our car. My aunt's jeep was sitting in the driveway, with the doors unlocked as they usually are (people in Cape Breton don't lock their doors if they don't have to, and that goes for their homes as well). My friend looked at me with a concerned look on her face, and said, "Shouldn't we tell your aunt that her doors are unlocked?" I smiled, and motioned towards the interior of the car, and she took a closer look - to see that the keys were dangling in the ignition! :icon_mrgreen:

Oh yeah, Cape Breton is one of my favs!

Loved your story too!

I think I'm leaning toward the East coast. Not that I'm biased, but it's closer. I have a buddy who did the Cabot Trail on bicycle. Can you imagine what your legs would feel like after a full day of riding?

• Like 1

Take Hammonds Plains road to Tantallon.

Take #3 old highway to Hubbards.

Take a left on the 329 to see Blandford Peninsula.

Rejoin old #3.

Explore Mahone's Bay, Lunenburg, and East LaHave River.

Head to Bridgewater and acquire supplies and provisions.

Head down the south side of the LaHave River on the 331.

Take a left to Green Bay.

Check in to MacLeod Cottages

Open one of your many bottles of wine and savour the view from cottages which haven't changed much since they were built decades ago. Start a fire. Hot sex. Fresh seafood. Oh yeah.

Pretty good rates, too!

shipahoy.jpeg

shipahoy1.jpeg

Edited by oldblueeyes
  • Like 1

There is a nice small Acadian fishing village, that has stood still in the face of time. Boutcouche, it is a beautiful place with the greatest seafood deals!! The longest boardwalk, takes most of the day to walk it. All up that coast makes for an interesting tour:)

I agree this is an amazing walk along the boardwalk in Boutcouche. The seafood is always fresh from that area.

Guest M*****ss****e

As a born and bred Nova Scotian country girl, I had to add my two cents here. I have been all over this province and there are too many gems for me to list. However, I will say that one of my fav places to get some home cooked fish is a tiny little place in Paradise (yes, Paradise) just outside of Bridgetown. It's called Pearls In Paradise, and they have THE best Hadi Bits !!! If you like to fish yourself, some of the best secret spots are in Springfield, and if you're a four wheeling fan, East Dalhousie has some great trails. You can pretty much ask anyone in the area, and they'll direct you to the locally owned hunting camps that some owners will rent out during the season. Great hunting too. :)

Also, as oldblueeyes mentioned Lunenburg and Hubbards, try to visit the Ovens if you get a chance :D I can spend an entire day there :D

As a born and bred Nova Scotian country girl, I had to add my two cents here. I have been all over this province and there are too many gems for me to list. However, I will say that one of my fav places to get some home cooked fish is a tiny little place in Paradise (yes, Paradise) just outside of Bridgetown. It's called Pearls In Paradise, and they have THE best Hadi Bits !!! If you like to fish yourself, some of the best secret spots are in Springfield, and if you're a four wheeling fan, East Dalhousie has some great trails. You can pretty much ask anyone in the area, and they'll direct you to the locally owned hunting camps that some owners will rent out during the season. Great hunting too. :)

Also, as oldblueeyes mentioned Lunenburg and Hubbards, try to visit the Ovens if you get a chance :D I can spend an entire day there :D

Oldblueeyes: Those cottages are inspiring - I wanna go there!

Lana: Pardon my questions - but what are Hadi Bits? Ovens, Hubbards?

I would dearly love to try my hand at deep sea fishing.

Do you like mountains of deep fried seafood? Of course you do!

John's Lunch!

Conveniently located beside the Nova Scotia Hospital, thus allowing

me my daily dose of clams.

dailynews.jpg

Mama will be at the till accepting your cash. ;-)

• Like 1

Guest M*****ss****e
Oldblueeyes: Those cottages are inspiring - I wanna go there!

Lana: Pardon my questions - but what are Hadi Bits? Ovens, Hubbards?

I would dearly love to try my hand at deep sea fishing.

lol Jabba, my apologies. Hadi Bits are small pieces of battered Haddock and deep fried, much like "popcorn chicken" only much much better :D I found them online, here is the link:

http://www.nslocal.ca/results.php?hide_id=2932&hide_stylesheet=4

As for The Ovens (Hubbards was just a reference point in my suggestion), here is the site. http://www.ovenspark.com/ It is truly lovely :)

**and I've been spelling Haddie Bits wrong apparently lol

Additional Comments:

Here is a great link I found regarding deep sea fishing too :)

http://www.halifaxoutfitters.com/

I've been to a few of the places mentioned, and they are absolutely right!

Being born a Caper, having multiple family connections in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and now considering myself to truly be a Prince Edward Islander, I am proud to call myself a Maritimer.

The recommendations made here are all excellent, and none would be open for dispute.

Cape Breton is a unique part of the Maritimes, and as Emma mentioned the Cabot Trail deserves two days in order to do it justice. This allows you to stop at the lookouts, to walk a few trails, perhaps play a round at Highland Links near Keltic Lodge, and to truly appreciate your surroundings. If you are a camper, pitching your tent on the edge of the cliffs at Meat Cove serves as the perfect half way point on your trip and is an experience.

Sailing out of Brier Island on a tour is pretty well a guarantee of sighting whales. Mahone Bay is gorgeous, and just a short hop away is Oak Island. If you go there during Oak Island Week you have an opportunity to get a tour of the Island. The Historic Properties on the waterfront in Halifax are beautiful to meander through on a warm summer day.

Tidal bore rafting in NS on the Shubenacadie River is something available nowhere else in the world. Awesome.

In New Brunswick just south of Saint John is beautiful St Andrews by the Sea and just past that a short ferry trip to Grand Manan Island will get you to a neat place where dulse and sardines are Maritime treats. Fundy National Park is a great spot as is "The Rocks" nearby, where you can easily see the results and power of the worlds highest tides.

My own PEI. Marketing has pretty well brought Cavendish Beach, the National Park area, Anne of Green Gables and world class golf courses to the forefront.

When one goes away from the publicized areas there are the equally incredible beaches but without people on them. An all you can eat Lobster Dinner is a unique Island experience. Take in a Ceilgh while on the Island. Actually all of the Maritime provinces have a strong music tradition and the talent is amazing for local community performers.

North Lake PEI is considered to be the tuna capital of the world, so when Jabba wondered about deep sea fishing, this may be the place. One can charter a days fishing at reasonable cost. During the season there is a decent chance of hooking a fish. If you can land one, it belongs to the captain, but what an experience that must be.

Hey Jabba, bet you could talk Roaming Guy into that trip!

Regardless of where you go here, the Maritimes are a great relaxing travel destination.

If any Cerb members end up on the Island, I'd love to share a cold Maritime beer with ya!

I've been to the Maritimes a few times, and once to BC (back when I was a kid)

I liked PEI, most memorable was the lobster dinner at Cavendish...not just a huge lobster, but huge salad bar with fresh mussels yummmmm :-) and homemade lemon merangue pie for desert. Only one lobster, but as many trips to the salad and desert bar as you liked

Saw Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, well all the sights...even sort of went deep sea fishing, but only for mackeral...rock bass put up a better fight

I'd like to go to the west coast, fly out Toronto-Winnipeg-Vancouver, first reason for that route, there is a lady in Winnipeg I'd like to meet, and one in Vancouver I'd like to meet. Second reason for Vancouver, well that's where the airport is LOL and I want to try a deep sea fishing trip out there

Here's the place I've been thinking of going to

http://www.bcadventure.com/duncanbylodge/

It'll be my retirement present to myself

RG

I have been all over Canada and I must agree... we have majestic places.

My last east coast trip was a few years ago, and I fully intend to go back. Took a trip to da Rock... an amazing place that must be visited.

There a place in Northwest NFLD called Twillingate... sleepy little fishing village with magnificent views. Whale watching, iceberg watching, some of the friendliest people you will ever want to meet and the charm of down home... there is nothing like the warmth of small town Canada.

Of course on the road up to Twillingate, you have to visit....

4810603065_2a28f4909c_z.jpg

• Like 1

Please do go visit Digby "Home of the World Famous Digby Scallops". We are the Scallop Capital of the World.

You will find with this genre of people that Eastern life is more laid back. We do not live to work but we work to live. A province of hardworking free spirits....genuinely good people. Some of the best that Canada has to offer.

digbyscallopfleetpatric.jpg

• Like 2

Guest **cely***r***ne

MMMMM! Digby Scallops! Yes best ever :)

Being a small town girl from the maritimes, I always want to escape to the big city...But where I am from has its cute little charm in a boring weird way. Truro is the hub of nova scotia...and one way we are known is for our tree sculpting.

The Truro Tree Committee has endeavored to make the most of an unfortunate situation, the loss of many of the Town's stately elm trees to Dutch elm disease (DED). On behalf of Truro Town Council, the Tree Committee manages the town's urban forest. They coordinate the planting of trees; the pruning and removal of street side trees presenting a public safety hazard, as well as the identification and removal of diseased elm trees. As one of the few communities in the Maritimes to do so, the removal and disposal of DED infected elm trees is carried out annually in an attempt to slow the spread of this disease for which there is no cure to remaining uninfected elm trees, many of which have been growing as part of Truro's urban forest for more than 100 years!

The Truro Tree Sculpture Project was initiated by Mr. Don Cameron, chair of the Truro Tree Committee, after seeing samples of elm tree carvings in the Town of Antigonish, NS which had been completed by sculptor Mr. Albert Deveau. With the support of Town Council, Mr. Deveau of Edmundston, NB was commissioned to create the first of what has become a series of elm tree sculptures from a tree lost to the disease located on the lawn of the former Civic Building on the corner of Prince and Young streets.

It was felt that the subject for the Initial piece should be of significant historical importance to the Town of Truro. After considering numerous proposals it was decided by Council that the subject would be a likeness of Sir Adams G. Archibald, Truro's Father of Confederation. At that time it was also determined that the overall theme of the tree sculpture project would be a celebration of Truro's heritage.

4752_Large.jpg

This is one he did of Portia White.

She was raised in Halifax, where she sang in her church choir as a child. She became a teacher and taught in Black communities, such as Africville and Lucasville. Tributes include a postage stamp in her honour, a monument in her birthplace at Truro, NS, and a film documentary (Think on Me). She died in Toronto in 1968.

I think its kind of neat....weird having alot of tree sculptures around the town...but a neat way of trying to conserve our nature.