So, I got one of those calls today from someone who claims to know that my computer is infected with a virus. I asked them if they were calling to help me fix it, and they said yes. Well, isn't that nice! =) I was only too happy to answer their questions such as "Are you the owner of the computer?" - yes. "Are you sitting in front of the computer right now?" - sure am. "Do you see the icons on your desktop?" - yep.

Well, after I let them get to the part of wanting me to click on stuff, I casually mentioned that this call was being traced and that we were contacting the authorities. I must have caught them off guard, as they didn't quite get that. That's ok... I didn't mind repeating it again. Then, for no apparent reason, they hung up. How rude! I was hoping that they'd talk to me some more since I was rather bored. Was it something I said? *lol*

Edited by drlove
  • Like 4

What's the scam?

It's the one where they try to gain remote access to your computer.

...Then, for no apparent reason, they hung up. How rude! I was hoping that they'd talk to me some more since I was rather bored. Was it something I said? *lol*

Well nice you got to waste some of their time. A friend of mine had one try to help him to get to their stupid web site for at least 30 minutes a couple of months ago.

Seems he was just too dumb to be able to get their software installed... perhaps it was the virus, yeah, that must be it -- it was the virus that they were calling him about preventing him from getting to their site so he couldn't install their software so they could help him out. Unfortunately (for him) it seems your approach was probably a better way to handle it as he did have a bit of trouble getting rid of them calling him back repeatedly "wanting to help". You would think they would get the message when it's eat my voice mail for the 20th time or have a blast from the fax machine but nope, they were persistent but eventually went away and left him alone.

There is some danger in scam baiting in that you are dealing with unscrupulous criminals.

We've all gotten those spam messages from an alleged "official" representing a foreign government or agency with an offer to transfer millions of dollars. Some people have taken to fighting back by intentionally wasting their time and some of it is documented for the record at: http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm which can provide hours of amusement (reading through the letters and stories there) if you are bored and need a good laugh.

I LOVE those phonecalls.

They ask me the same things, sure, yes your calling from microsoft

Its great when they tell me I have a virus on my computer that microsoft is getting complaints about my computer reported to them

Problem here, I'm on a mac and my other mode doesn't use the program they tell me

Total scam, once they get into your computer, they rape it of all identifying and financial info

There is some danger in scam baiting in that you are dealing with unscrupulous criminals.

In some cases that's probably true, but I was at work when I received the call, so they have no idea who I am.

Yeah those phone calls are total scams. One of the places I used to work got a bunch of peoples computers in to fix because they fell for that scam. We always told people that Microsoft would never call a customer if the customer was having problems, it was up to the customer to get in touch with them. The kicker was the scams we heard of the caller never actually said he was with Microsoft, he said he was with windows but never actually said Microsoft. Guess it was their way to keep Microsoft from coming after them. They usually installed some combination of key logger or trojan viruses to get your information, but we usually were able to remove them before any serious damage was done.

One of the most common scams we saw was the fake anti-virus pop ups that would say you were infected and than wanted you to go to some website and pay a fee to get cleaned up. Usually all that would happen is the popup would disappear for a while than come back looking for more money or it would just ream your credit card from the first time.

Another thing we used to do was give the telemarketers/scammers a fake name saying that only so and so can make those decisions so whenever someone called looking for so and so we just stuck them on hold till they hung up.

Another thing we used to do was give the telemarketers/scammers a fake name saying that only so and so can make those decisions so whenever someone called looking for so and so we just stuck them on hold till they hung up.

Oh that brings back some fond memories. Back when I was telephone guru almighty I did set up a queue at work just for unsolicited telemarketers. I'll tell them "oh, I know just who you need to speak to, one moment I'll transfer you." (both phrases were the truth of course but neither necessarily connected), then I'd sent them to the telemarketing hell queue, 4666 was the pilot number, it would just play music forever with the occasional "Your call is important, please remain on the line and your call will be answered in sequence" and then back to music, but there was no end point :)

Well in all fairness to me and being naughty their call was important (to them, not us) and it would be answered in sequence (if only there was one).

Has anyone had their home phone go quiet because of the DO NOT CALL list? Personally I find that it seems to increase telemarketing calls in the period of time they have to comply and then you still get lots of calls from outside of Canada were they can't be bound or compelled to comply.

Back when I was telephone guru almighty I did set up a queue at work just for unsolicited telemarketers. I'll tell them "oh, I know just who you need to speak to, one moment I'll transfer you." (both phrases were the truth of course but neither necessarily connected), then I'd sent them to the telemarketing hell queue, 4666 was the pilot number, it would just play music forever with the occasional "Your call is important, please remain on the line and your call will be answered in sequence" and then back to music, but there was no end point :)

It would have been even better with some inescapable menus in there. Of course, at any time they could hit 0 to... er... go back to the hold music.

And on that note, this is absolute genius, and incredibly funny, and absolutely worth the ten minutes it takes to watch.

So, who's in for doing this to Rogers and Bell...

• Like 1

A related sort of annoyance:

I've been known to tell Jehovah Witnesses that I already have a religion. They, of course, obligingly ask what it is. I reply that I'm a Druid, and invite them to our next sacrifice. The look on their face as I close the door is worth the occasional visit from the constabulary!!

Edited by po***os
  • Like 2