A question for everyone....

In the last 2 months, I have had my site stolen word for word and various ads and titles used on other sites. Turns out my site has been used again, but this time with some editing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I am at wits end on dealing with this (I really do have much better things to do than flag ads and write emails asking for my text to be taken down)

I am close to just getting my lawyer involved as I am not sure what else I can do. Even then Im not sure what good it would do.

I am open to ideas on suggestions on dealing with this situation, as of late this has been happening again and again and for me it to is just way too often.

We work hard to make ourselves individual and stand out, and to have someone steal one's hard work, is basically a slap in the face.

• Like 2

Get yourself one of these and start kicking ass!

Seriously I wish I could offer better advice but I suspect that others will chime in on your behalf. All the best to you Emily while you deal with f#%ktards of the world.

You could try adding right click protection to your site. That would probably cut down on a lot of the theft, although it's not perfect. I have a feeling that the people who copy and paste are lazy, so if it's harder for them to copy the text directly from your site to theirs that should cut down on most of the copycats. It doesn't help for ads, though, so I'm not sure what you can do there. There are things you can do to show that you wrote them first but that only helps after the fact. :(

Sorry this is happening to you.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

There might be a way to make it more difficult to cut and paste your ads. What I am suggesting is changing your background of your ads on a plain coloured background. You would have your name and the copyright notice in the back ground of the ad in large letters like a holograph. It would stand out enough to make it difficult to cut and paste the ad and then add your your ad script over the holographic background. I am not a graphic artist but I have seen similar methods used so I would suggest checking this out with a qualified Graphic Artist.

Emily I went to your website and although I can't right click on it. I am able to use the keyboard shortcut to select all (ctrl+A), copy (ctrl+C), and paste (ctrl+V) and all the information is there.

I believe legal action is the best way to go. Disabling right click doesn't really do anything because if someone is determined to copy your text they can always use print screen. Then use a word document to type out the text.

• Like 1

I do think it would help to some extent to prevent highlighting text on the site. Yes, people can type out everything, but I honestly believe most are too lazy to do so. It's something that you do once and if it saves going after these girls individually after the fact I think it would help. There are ways around any protections that we put in place but they require a certain time commitment and sometimes a bit of tech savvy to accomplish. I don't think most of the girls who copy a site want to spend the time (if they did they'd write their own content) or have to technical knowledge needed to disable or work around the safety features. It seems like it's worth a try to me.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I think the hologram idea is a good one, sorry I don't have anything better. If I may add not long ago there was a girl using one of pictures on bp in Moncton, I contacted her and asked her to stop, she wanted proof that it was my picture! Sometimes these abusers will stop when they recieve a letter from a lawyer, or even just a call, some can be scared off, others like mine don't scare unfortunately, I know this is probably not your style but you could out them on some public sites, just an idea. Good luck.

Sorry Emily, I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions. Computers aren't really my thing.

What I want to say though is if your worried about not being unique, one of a kind or just another pretty face, rest assured that you are FAR more than that! Anyone who really takes a close look at your site, your blog or your twitter, and anyone who takes the time to know you, even through email, will know that you are something special. You are friendly, approachable and all around fun! There is no mistaking that! Even though it all, remember that. These lazy arses can't take away who you are!! <3

• Like 5

We may want to ask some of the awesome tech ladies and gents about the holograph for ads and if they have a link or some place we can go to for templates.

Emily I know your style is not to "OUT" someone on another public site for all to see, that makes you look bad, jealous among other things and trust me sticking up for yourself on those other public sites and posting things can make things worse as I found out and was slander and bashed to the lowest by someone that feeds on drama.

Classy ladies don't conduct themselves in that manner, if a phone call doesn't work like I tried, then you take other measures and you know what other measures I mean:icon_wink:.

All my Love and Support,

Lexy

Hi Emily

Perhaps (don't know if you have done this) copyright your site and put on your site that it is copyright protected and legal action will be taken

Take legal action against those who steal your words, thoughts and pictures and pass them off as their own

And I can't speak for all gentlemen, but if legally allowed, let us know who the SP is that is stealing from you. Certainly a SP who so obviously steals from a lady isn't someone I would ever want to have an encounter with. From that SP's end, it may prove business wise counterproductive, she may lose (or never get) clients..well at least me for sure.

And if she is on CERB, report her to the Mod

Good luck

RG

• Like 1

A question for everyone....

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I am at wits end on dealing with this (I really do have much better things to do than flag ads and write emails asking for my text to be taken down)

Legally you are in the right. Copyright is derived on creation and you don't actually file forms to be covered although it may be better to have registration certificates as proof.

Seeking legal redress is expensive and collecting damages is difficult. It may take years to resolve.

You may be able to obtain a cease and desist order against whomever is copying your site.

Also you might choose to remember that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Good luck.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

When I suggested this use of a Hologram I was assuming that the work would be done by a professional as Emily's Site is designed by a Professional Webmaster

In the last 2 months, I have had my site stolen word for word and various ads and titles used on other sites. Turns out my site has been used again, but this time with some editing.

I am close to just getting my lawyer involved as I am not sure what else I can do. Even then Im not sure what good it would do.

I am sorry you have to deal with this, Emily. I know just how frustrating and time consuming it can be to deal with plagiarism and copycats.

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do to prevent it (even if we copyright everything) but there are steps you can take to prove that your website text and ads are yours... Once my ordeal was over with my last Cerb copycat, I hired a paid professional to do a few things for me;

I first start out by writing everything I want to publish online in a word doc then I send him the documents and the links to all my ads (not just the Cerb ones). He converts them into PDFs files, 'time stamps' them and takes screenshots of my ads. Once everything is complete and put together, he sends it to my lawyer for safe keeping. Screenshots of my entire website are also taken on a weekly basis and also sent to my lawyer. This way, I can at least prove that my work is mine and mine only and that plagiarism was used by someone else to advertise. (A few more things get done but I won't discuss it publicly- PM for details).

So, basically, after the first and only request to take down my text, the copycat has three choices: pay me for my work, remove my text, or get ready to go down by K.O. in the first round :) This could be with or without the help of my lawyer depending on the circumstances.

I wish I could give you better advice or more ideas, Emily but unfortunately, I don't have anything more to offer...

At least, not publicly ;)

Also you might choose to remember that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Trust me when I say it is not! ;)

• Like 1

Emily: Bottom line is stuff can be copied if someone wants to copy it. You do own the copyright on it though like others mentioned.

My suggestion is to add a copyright notice to the text, especially in the page code. You already own the copyright when it was created as already mentioned, but proving it is the issue usually. If you actually sued someone though I am sure your web host would provide logs and they can show when you uploaded the text in question. If they know they copied your stuff, then even a threat of a copyright suit may be enough to scare the persons straight. I realise this can be a a bother, but one or two successful suits might scare others into not doing it ever.

When it comes to images, steganography is your best friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

If you need help with a particular piece of steganography software feel free to ask.

It is nice of you to be a nice person, but I think you should shame those in question by pointing them out here where we know you. Public places, well, Lexi covered that, but here everyone knows you and would believe you and know you are doing it for a good reason.

• Like 1

Emily I am not a lawyer nor a technical person that could give advice on how to protect yourself in this situation. So let me offer my admiration and support to you. As has been said character can't be copied. I hope you find a solution that works for you. XO Cub

Guest p**h*x

While it's probably not an option for everywhere you post ads you could have your website designer put all the text on your site into images with a watermark in the background as was mentioned earlier in the thread. It probably won't eliminate all instances of people stealing your words but it could help cut it down some.

Here is an extremely crude and simple example.

UcoNf.jpg

Emily: Bottom line is stuff can be copied if someone wants to copy it. You do own the copyright on it though like others mentioned.

My suggestion is to add a copyright notice to the text, especially in the page code. You already own the copyright when it was created as already mentioned, but proving it is the issue usually. If you actually sued someone though I am sure your web host would provide logs and they can show when you uploaded the text in question. If they know they copied your stuff, then even a threat of a copyright suit may be enough to scare the persons straight. I realise this can be a a bother, but one or two successful suits might scare others into not doing it ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

If you need help with a particular piece of steganography software feel free to ask.

It is nice of you to be a nice person, but I think you should shame those in question by pointing them out here where we know you. Public places, well, Lexy:icon_wink: covered that, but here everyone knows you and would believe you and know you are doing it for a good reason.

You could always put them in the Canada Wide Warning Section but as for public places like I mentioned, the drama queens, crazies and freaks come out to play and make jokes, bash and slander. Because of boredom and other serious issues that they keep hidden until they snap again.

Lexy

Emily, sorry to hear you've been hit by this crap again... I've said it before, but once more, with feeling: theft of someone's personality really is about as low as you can go.

Good for proving an image was stolen after the fact, but a watermark is probably more useful as it also acts as a deterrent.

A couple of thoughts on words...

First up: a trick I've seen done elsewhere is to have each webpage coded so that the entire content is overlaid by a transparent gif. That means that anyone who tries to select anything, or copy anything, will probably end up selecting/copying that transparent gif rather than the actual content of the page. This is easily circumvented by looking at the page source, but that may well be enough to deter many. You can do the same with your pics too; overlay each of your pics with the same transparent gif, and anyone trying to copy/save them will not get what they want.

Secondly... I appreciate that this may make page formatting really hard, but you could dispense with text altogether and have your text in the form of an image (a picture of the words, if you like). You can't stop anyone typing it all out by hand, but again, if you make it less easy you may deter some.

Guest N***he**Ont**y
While it's probably not an option for everywhere you post ads you could have your website designer put all the text on your site into images with a watermark in the background as was mentioned earlier in the thread. It probably won't eliminate all instances of people stealing your words but it could help cut it down some.

Here is an extremely crude and simple example.

UcoNf.jpg

This was exactly what I was getting at. A water mark could be used in some areas no doubt. A Hologram could also be used under some circumstances.

One thing to do is cease and desist to the hosting site, the ad sites, etc, to prevent or restrict the thief from being able to advertise at all. Copy to that theif as well.

The other thing is to announce who it is. We can help to a certain extent, but the warning does need to go out for the clients. It is exactly the same as sps who misrepresnt themselves with fake pics. Plus using pics that don't belong to them is also against the law, the same as stealing and reposting copyright protected material.

As a counter act, I encourage everyone with distinctive ads and who have taken the time and effort to create their brand and their website, to regularly copy a piece of your text and google it. Follow the links to see if the hits are legitimate copycats, and proceed to shut them down.

I think I had to tell Emily on another site that the admin requires the owner of the stolen material to contact them to get it removed. I would hope that admin on any board would simply look into reports by anyone. If the proof is there, they need to deal with it, not enable it. (if it gets reported I mean).

Secondly... I appreciate that this may make page formatting really hard, but you could dispense with text altogether and have your text in the form of an image (a picture of the words, if you like). You can't stop anyone typing it all out by hand, but again, if you make it less easy you may deter some.

Text is really important for SEO, so this might not be the best route. Spiders don't find pictures as appealing as text. I know we're not getting a lot of traffic by random searches but it's still something to consider.

• Like 1

The problem with text, whether as a word document or formatted at an image is the plagerizer can still put the webpage up, take pen to paper and copy what is on the website, then transcribe it from paper and enter it on her website.

These suggestions to counter the stealing of Emily's site, while good, would merely inconvenience the plagerizer. But it's still a lot less work for the plagerizer than putting the work and effort forward and coming up with their own original thoughts and site

If you truly want someone inconvenienced, maybe, unfortunately legal action is the recourse. Make it so costly to steal from someone (just the inconvenience of legal action has a cost) else that they won't it again

Some quick thoughts

RG

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

If that individual wants to copy a script they will do it. The actions suggested here will only make it more difficult for them to copy with out doing it the old fashioned way. Legal action must be taken . Sometimes a letter fromm a lawyer does the trick!

I know what it is in a way:

Someone stoled few months ago, my writings plus my pics, to present herself.

My website was put down intentionally from over a year, but what impress me is the idea who had the idea to copy it before I put it down, or even more incredible, to distribute it later to another girl (I had a webmaster who help me to build it). I never knew the truth about how it could have been possible, but when someone find it and told me what was going on, when I manifest myself, all have been stopped at the minute I said it.

Please, when you will find a way to protect your website, could you write to me in private how to do it, that will be a formidable thing to know and put in practice.

How annoying it is!