TWITTER - what's your experience?

Everybody is talking about Twitter.

I was wondering is there anybody here who has tried it for business?

And if so,

What was your experience?

And what kind of info do you post?

Doesn't it make you feel that you are exposed to the whole world and that you have lost your privacy?

And how do I know if anyone is interested in what I have to say? :)

Is it legal to advertise adult services?

I have registered an account as a test, but I can't see the option for screening the new followers. How do I make sure only friends, present or potential customers can read my notices?

Think of it as a virtual shoutbox what ever you choose to type is out there for all to see at any time. So long as you are discreet and selective of your followers you could use this as an effective tool. You could tweet "Anitas now booking for next week, or Anita has a unexpected opening this afternoon" discreet messages of that sort should be no issue. As for followers you can easily edit your follower list to only those you wish to have follow you. Blocking is discreet and they won't even know you've blocked them.

I too have an account but haven't decided on the best application for my self, but for the business savy lady it can be a direct and targeted audience marketing tool.

Add me if yo wish...

http://twitter.com/Cowboykenny

Guest Ou**or**n

I personally don't have any interest in Twitter for its usual 'what are you doing now' tweets to and from your friends. However I can see it as a huge tool for the SP industry. Cancellations are a chronic issue in this business (for both sides) and Twitter could help for either side to connect for short-notice bookings (today and tomorrow types). It's like the shout box here but on a broader scale. I definitely think this will grow and soon be as standard as websites and profiles on boards like this one.

Twitter is the most successful current "app" on the Web. Has cost hundreds of millions to develop and support. And hasn't made a buck yet. Unless they figure out how to pay for it, it may not last as long as people think.

It's a fad that I don't think will last. I use the "What are you doing?" on Facebook but it gets a little boring after a while too.

We're all searching for that quick high, Twitter is it right now. Facebook was it last year. Before it was Yahoo, or AOL. Before that it was Freenet (remember that?) and even before that (I'm doing to date myself here) it was exciting to get Lynx working!

And before that? Just getting a modem to connect to another computer and type "Hi" was a total thrill!

Before that it was Freenet (remember that?) and even before that (I'm doing to date myself here) it was exciting to get Lynx working!

Freenet is still around and Lynx (imho) is still the best means of navigating the web if you have to pipe things through a text-to-voice synthesizer.

twitter is all about receiving advertising

twitter has the highest percentage of quitters after 30 days do tom all the unnecssary(sic):!::-P garbage

Guest Ou**or**n

You can control who you are following and set times not to receive tweets. Many users that quit just sign up because they heard it was popular. If you sign up for a specific reason such as sending or receiving SP availability then you will more likely stay active.

A good example of an agency using Twitter is GOE (Twitter user NicoleKing).

Thanks everybody for the input.

I agree with almost everything. I think it can be a good tool for businesses, close friends, relatives (but also for stalkers and serial killers if they want to know where will you be at a certain time.....)

It will be interesting to see how it goes. At this moment I can see only a commercial use. I think people will get bored with each-other's private lives pretty quick. I know I would.

As far as I am concerned, at this moment the negative outweighs the positive.

Let's say, I keep sending people messages about my massages and maybe juicy details to make them interested.... How do I know this will make them visit me and not the opposite: masturbate to the stories and never actually give me business? That would make me a free adult entertainer. :)

I would attract the ones I never liked: people who insist on writing dozens of emails, curious about everything, but never actually make appointments.

Or something like "Hey, remember me, I am still here." would get boring after a while.

And what use would be a follower in New Zealand?

Anyway, I guess I keep the account. Who knows, I might find a use for it later on...

It's a fad that I don't think will last. I use the "What are you doing?" on Facebook but it gets a little boring after a while too.

We're all searching for that quick high, Twitter is it right now. Facebook was it last year. Before it was Yahoo, or AOL. Before that it was Freenet (remember that?) and even before that (I'm doing to date myself here) it was exciting to get Lynx working!

And before that? Just getting a modem to connect to another computer and type "Hi" was a total thrill!

Dateing myself too here my first "on Line" experiance was with a coco64 and a 300 baud modem...... I was "on Line" for sex even back then .... Ever hear of a company called "Sextex" I think they operated out of the Boston Ma area..

Loki318 Older than the internet LOL

If you want people to know you're every move, then go "live"? Seriously though, I think between cell phones, text messaging and instant chat, I think I'm putting myself out there enough...Twitter may be for some folks, but not me.

I'm not on Twitter and don't plan to be anytime soon. But I can see that if you do more volume than I do, and if you do last-minute scheduling, it could be a way to stay connected with clients. However, as one who thrives on discretion and privacy, not broadcasting my activities and availability might be a selling point! 8)