Site update - Width of forum has changed

Do you prefer the new width of the forum?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new width of the forum?

• Yes, Much better!
    • No, It was better before!
    • I didn't notice a difference
    • I don't care either way

Some of you may have noticed that we did a system update tonight. We installed a security patch and updated our templates from 800 pixels wide to 1024 pixels wide. This gives us 224 pixels more on the sides of the forum, we plan to use 120 pixels of this space for small sponsor banners (120x120 or 120x60) in the future (not now) and the remaining 104 pixels would be extra forum space (hopefully to make the site more user friendly and clean)

We just want to a moment and make sure everyone can see the site still ok?

The site was originally designed for 768 pixels wide (Average screen resolution about 7 years ago) these days with all the wide screens and higher resolution monitors the average is much higher (very few people still run the resolution lower than 1024 so we thought this would be safe).

Side scrolling however sucks for forums so before we make this new change permanent we want to hear if any of you are unhappy with the change.

I see a few of you voted that you did not like the new width of the forum. If you have a minute or two would you give us some more feedback? Either a post here in reply or a PM to the MOD account would be very much appreciated. We don't want discourage some of our members from visiting!

TO REVERT BACK TO THE 800 PIXEL WIDTH DISPLAY WE HAVE INCLUDED A LEGACY FORMAT.

Scroll down to the bottom of any page and you will see a drop down menu that should say "Standard Width" if you wish you can switch this to "Legacy 800 pixels wide" The legacy display will probably not be available forever but we can keep it for now to help you all out.

Also.. Can you give us some details as to why you liked the form width the way it was before? (Example. Does the new format not fit on your screen? If so, any reason why you do not increase your screen resolution? Older computer maybe? Small laptop screen?)

Any feedback you can give us will help.

The reason why we are doing this is so that we could add some space for advertisers to purchase small 120x60 and 120x120 banners later this year (Just planning ahead now). The banners we currently offer are a hard sell and at this time are the only income revenue for the site. Banner sales help add new features like the chat room and photo galleries to cerb. We are hoping that some sponsorship spaces would be more attractive and would allow us to expand cerb further (and better for everyone).

Would you prefer a legacy skin to view the site? It is possible to run two different SKINS on this site (in the old format and the new) so we may be able to install a "Legacy" skin for you if you wish with the old layout width) the problem with this is that some of the new features (such as the sponsorship banners) would not show up on this skin - or may show up at the top or bottom of the pages).

Thank you for taking some time and letting us know.

I for one find the side scroll a little awkward.......

that is the only real differance I see.......so I voted the old way.....

but I am a picky old fart......

I for one find the side scroll a little awkward.......

that is the only real differance I see.......so I voted the old way.....

but I am a picky old fart......

Any reason you don't increase your screen resolution antlerman? Sounds like you have a very low resolution setting. Do you have one of those old crt tube 13 inch monitors? ;) (I am kidding of course but then again I did see one in use back in December still so I gave the person an old 19inch crt I was going to take to the recyclers so it is possible).

Any reason why the random photos and all the SP's photo albums section no longer here?

They had some server load issues, we are trying to fix them but when too many people start using the photo albums it really effects the servers performance. You can still view them in the ladies profiles and as soon as we find out how to optimize the rest we will put it back on.

I made a slight adjustment that I think will fix the side scrolling for IE Cumquat. Let me know if that fixed it for you?

There is a tiny bit of a side scroll with mine set to 1024x764, but it just a tad bit that doesn't fit on the screen with it maximized but that could just be an IE issue.

I think it looks good though with this wider format.

Can't you buy a larger screen? lol

A few years back you had to always put up a message on a site "This site is best viewed in 800X600 format" or whatever. But now as everyone discards their little 14" VGA monitors and 17" or 21" SVGA monitors have become standard, you don't have to do that any more!

Remember coding everything to work in Netscape and IE? Or having two versions of websites and users would select their browser? That was a pain...most people just picked what they thought was the best and accepted that some users would be left by the wayside if they didn't change.

Even though I voted for the legacy size, I support the move to larger....because you can't please all the people all the time. I only liked the old so I don't have to scroll my eyes back and forth so much when reading.

I notice with the legacy size tool the link to the chat room is missing in the top menu?

People are discarding their 14" VGA monitors?!

Just kidding.

For me, it's not a question of resolution, but column size. There's a reason newspapers and magazines use columns, rather than run type from one side of the page to the other. Has something to do with muscle strain on eyes if you have to scan more than six or seven inches left to right reading something a few inches away from your face.

For me, the proposed change is like going from one deck on three columns to one deck on five columns, for those who understand print layout terms. Just makes the web page column a bit too wide for comfort.

I understand Mod needs to make some bucks and so drive the page size expansion according to the limitations of web banner ad needs rather than just accommodating the requirements of wider flat screen monitor technology. But for me, being able to have some ability to make column size reasonable, no matter the size or resolution of my display screen, is a good thing.

And yes, I can resize my screen to a bunch of different sizes because I'm using a good video graphics card. Or use the View/Zoom page function in Firefox, for example. But I don't want to have to do that every time I go to CERB. So, having a couple of "column-sizing" options "skinned" and user-friendly (set and remembered by cookies until you change them?) would be good.

I notice the scrolling issue has been fixed. Personally prefer the older version only because I have to increase the font for the current setup and that moves things around too much. I found the older version easier on my failing/bad eyesight :shock:. Then again I'm also viewing cerb on a 13" Macbook meaning I might be protesting too much.

I'm generally the type of user who will set my monitor to the highest legible resolution and then decrease fonts to maximize what I see on the screen. But this change I'm not too fond of. YoungStud's comment about the column size holds true here, it makes the overall reading area too large and your eyes and scanning too far back and forth.

I'm saying no off first impression although I'll give it a chance and see if I get used to it.

Mod, I tried the new standard width of 1024 pixels and the legacy 800 pixels width. I do find the site is less eye straining at the narrower 800 pixels width. (and it makes my posts look longer. lol)

If you want the site to be wider you could utilize the size increase of 224 pixels as you suggested, for the banners. As 120 x 120 pixel banners I find to small anyways.

My preference is to scroll vertically (so much easier than sideways) so if the banners were at the top or bottom this would suit. I do think the banners at the top would be better for you because when a page is viewed, it typically starts at the top of the page by default.

I know Mod that you are an expert, but isn't there such a thing as 'flexible' width?

Yes, of course you can run flexible by using a percentage rather than a fixed pixel but than you have no control so it's a general rule to not do this. Only very specific circumstances does this work well.

Remember coding everything to work in Netscape and IE? Or having two versions of websites and users would select their browser? That was a pain...

I sure agree with you! It is a lot better now but you still have to make sure things work with firefox and ie (and they are still a little different).

I notice with the legacy size tool the link to the chat room is missing in the top menu?
Right, forgot that. That link was hard coded in along with some other things so I will have to give that some more attention. I will fix that today for you all!

For me, it's not a question of resolution, but column size. There's a reason newspapers and magazines use columns, rather than run type from one side of the page to the other. Has something to do with muscle strain on eyes if you have to scan more than six or seven inches left to right reading something a few inches away from your face.

For me, the proposed change is like going from one deck on three columns to one deck on five columns, for those who understand print layout terms. Just makes the web page column a bit too wide for comfort.

I thought the resolution was going to be the main complaint (Side scrolling) but mostly people don't like the wider reading areas so I think once we get the space for the banners in this will help fix that by pushing the reading area over. I need to find someone who is really good with vbulletin themes and get them to add this. The guy we had doing this is M.I.A.

I do think the banners at the top would be better for you because when a page is viewed, it typically starts at the top of the page by default.

I think what we are leaning to is to put the banners on the right side, keep the reading panes the same width as they are in the legacy layout (or close to it) and that way if anyone has a side scroll issue the only thing they are missing our on are the banners as they would be off the page). May go with a 195x60 now instead of the 120x120 as most people prefer the more narrow reading area's.

Thank you all for the feedback!

As you can see it will all be taken into consideration for the final layout for sure.

I can't really help the guys with the 13 inch monitors but if we make the reading area's smaller you can use a good zoom tool for those little screens.

So, having a couple of "column-sizing" options "skinned" and user-friendly (set and remembered by cookies until you change them?) would be good.

You can set the style preference (New resolution or legacy) in your UserCP

http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

(Scroll down to the bottom and change the skin to legacy and save - this will make sure it defaults to the legacy skin each time you visit).

You can set the style preference (New resolution or legacy) in your UserCP

http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

(Scroll down to the bottom and change the skin to legacy and save - this will make sure it defaults to the legacy skin each time you visit).

Excellent Mod, choice is the way to go.

Younger or older eyes can both be happy 8)

Excellent Mod, choice is the way to go.

Younger or older eyes can both be happy 8)

I agree.

Tho' it ain't about age, necessarily. I do a certain amount of web usability work. Max web site success often comes down to having a reasonable number of flexible nav options for users from every demo.

On my desktop with super duper monitor and fancy vid card the changes didn't really matter much but I can see the difference way more on my laptop. Much nicer layout, thx for the improvements!

Anyword for moblie website update ? Us iPhone user get stuck with the old wap version ! Could give us some new features ! Or mabye a iPhone chat app LOL

Posted via Mobile Device

Anyword for moblie website update ? Us iPhone user get stuck with the old wap version ! Could give us some new features ! Or mabye a iPhone chat app LOL

Posted via Mobile Device

does 3.0 come with a flash player ? its a free upgrade for the iPhone 2.0 users. yah!

I adjusted the mobile detection settings to detect the iphone and switch to the mobile device layout. Is this better or would you prefer the way it was?

Hi Mod,

Now that we have more space across the screen, would it be possible to click on the Last Page in the "Latest Posts" section?

As it is now we have to click on the thread and then again to go to the last page.....

And maybe we should see the whole title to avoid misunderstandings like in the "How do you look at the ladies...." thread before. LOL

Hi Mod,

Now that we have more space across the screen, would it be possible to click on the Last Page in the "Latest Posts" section?

As it is now we have to click on the thread and then again to go to the last page.....

And maybe we should see the whole title to avoid misunderstandings like in the "How do you look at the ladies...." thread before. LOL

I usually do 'New Posts' then select the Last Page from that list. It avoids having to go through a set of threads I have read.

Hi Mod,

Good suggestion and a easy fix. Is that better??