Taking the Time to Learn Something New Every Day - What did you learn today?

My mother always told me to learn something new every day, even it was looking up a new word in the dictionary.

It doesn't have to be just one thing.

I'll start:

Yesterday (because it's early morning), I learned...

a new word for me and its defintion: cissexual

that you can't call the Police Station anymore to find out if someone has been arrested/being held for court etc. due to privacy laws

In Ottawa, you can not only have condoms delivered to, you can also have them mailed to you courtesy of Ottawa health dept.

So, now it's your turn - what did you learn today?

• Like 2

Guest S**a*Q

I learned that I can run for more than 10 minutes now, so that means the program I'm using works. :D

I learn that in Montreal during winter, if you don't move your car when you hear that annoying and loud siren coming from outside, the city will tow your car and drop it to a random place and leave you a $117 parking ticket on your windshield.

The siren is a warning to tell you that they will plow your street and that you have to move your car. The thing is that it's so loud that you don't know which street they are targeting, and then you don't know where it's ok to move your car. Big problem when you are right downtown.

:tresmauvaisehumeur:

• Like 2

I learned that while it is very impolite, there is no force on earth that can help you maintain control of a withheld fart if you sneeze or cough with any degree of vigour.

I learned that as you age, the urge to pee in the morning is accompanied by the urge to pee again only five minutes later.

I have learned that although it would be great to go back in time with the vast wealth of knowledge I have accumulated, I cannot alter the time/space continuum. Damn.

I learned that Metallica redid Lynyrd Sknyrd's "Simple Man" and I like it.

I learned that it's impossible to make Kraft Dinner that tastes good without the recommended milk and butter.

I learned that there are some people who think you unroll the condom first to put it on and wonder why they have trouble with it. Like, duh it comes rolled up for a reason dude/dudette!

I learned that my thoughts are narrated to me by the voice of Morgan Freeman. It's actually soothing, but a little disconcerting.

Awesome thread, Angela!

I finally learned the proper way to spell HOBBYIST. :biggrin:

This had eluded me for a while now. I was about 90% sure this was how it was spelled, but people are always spelling it other ways too... so I was second guessing it sometimes. I finally thought to google it today to put it to rest.

So, there it is: HOBBYIST.

Get it straight, people. :vf:

• Like 3

There something even stronger than duct tape called Gorilla tape.

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape

You know you are only empowering the damn dirty apes. They will take over the planet one day, mark my words... and Charlton Heston is no longer around to save all of our sorry and relatively hairless asses.

I haven't learned anything yet today. However, I woke up this morning and realized that if I opened my eyes, I would learn a lot of valuable things from my day of laziness yesterday.

Here's the story... I went out with a friend on Saturday night and had a fantastic time. We went out for dinner, saw a show at the NAC, went out for a few drinks... Eventually, our adventure led us to Bare Fax, a strip-club in the market of Ottawa, where dances were purchased and kisses were had by all. We stayed till close.

When we arrived at my place, we had a 'living room dance party' listening to Queen, Supertramp, and The Beatles. We also listened to a little bit of Blink 182, Offspring, and Our Lady Peace (say what?). Weird, I know, but so (oh so) perfect.

Suffice it to say, we went to bed at 6am.

I spent most of the day sleeping and watching Nikita yesterday. I saw the e-mails pile up, the homework sitting on my desk, I saw my calendar and all the things I need to get done this week and thought "oh well, I'll do it tomorrow". Well, I woke up today and realized it's all manageable, and that one night of epic adventures and fun provided me with something my homework can't: happiness. I also learned that when I don't do my work, it's not the end of the world!

Like I said, I'll just do it today.

• Like 2

Apples originally came from Kazakhstan (around Almaty, for those who care).

You will now think of Borat every time you see one.

No, thank me later...

• Like 1

I learned that if you are towing a 20' stock trailer behind a 1-ton pickup, the risk of something going wrong rises with the value of the horse being hauled.

$10,000 horse (in foal) in the trailer, approaching a stop sign at a T-intersection at approximately 80 k/hr, go for the brakes and they slowly disappear. No visibility in either direction until the last moment, so I gritted my teeth, hit the trailer brakes, puckered my sphincter, and entered the intersection way too fast. I had to swing to the far lane to make a wide turn and hopefully save the horse from damage. It worked.......no traffic and therefore no crash. A mile down the road, I pulled over to empty my drawers.

New brake line installed this afternoon.

Today, I learned that there is Google Patents (http://www.google.com/?tbm=pts} which gives details of many patents.

Also, keep an eye on Google News, where you can keep up to date on me being the recipient of several forthcoming patent infringement lawsuits.

Today I learned to listen to the bottle of glue when it says "do not get in contact with skin". I glued my fingers really GOOD. haha

Nail polish remover fixed it though.

• Like 1

Hehehe after reading your post Shortcake now I know if I glue any part of my body together nail polish will fix it

I do most of my reading in English so when I come across a word I do not know the meaning of, I always make it a point to search for its meaning so I can expand my English vocabulary. Today, I learned what the word "predicament" means and how to use it in a sentence.

I learned long ago that although I'm university educated I still can't spell... I have it spelled hobbyist and hobbiest. I'm not even consistent.

Today I learned how to use my Netflix to get American content... yes, it's a boring night at home!!!

• Like 1

I learned that Gustave Eiffel (designer of the Eiffel Tower and the framework for the Statue of Liberty) had a paralysing fear of heights.

I guess I also learned that we should learn to work with our fears and that the results can be pretty remarkable.

I also learned that I just like to say Gustave.

Gustave!

Gustave!

• Like 3