Feast on the placenta

Saw a news item on MSN about some celebrity planning on eating her placenta after she gives birth.

Now, I gotta tell you, when I first heard about this practice when I was a youngling in the 80s, I was...I was...for lack of a better expression: amazed and outraged at the concept (and that's putting it mildly!).

I understand the placenta contains nutrients that are beneficial to the birth mother (of whatever species). Hucking the thing down is supposed help in birth recovery. Horses, cattle, sheep, goats - they all got a thing on for the placenta.

Label me as you will. Even after some 30 years later, I'm still left struggling with how to understand why anyone human could, or willingly would y'know...gag it down! You will have to pardon my total lack of understanding.

Know any good recipes?

I'm struggling with this. Ouch.

• Like 2

This is actually a thing. Maybe it used to be a thing historically as well, but it seems to be a trendy thing to do new ager stuff.

I personally don't think it was meant to be eaten, and it is a bit bizarre that anyone would think it is a good idea lol

Some people drink vodka with pieces of snakes in the bottle.

Urine play (specifically drinking) is something I could not do myself

A good number of members here eat pork. Apart from once, I have never eaten it

A rather sexually adventurous couple I know swear by sperm as a proper ingredient for home cooked meals. I haven't eaten there since

Basically, there are a lot of reasons why people consume stuff. Fetish, taste, health, religion, etc. If it's safe, I couldn't care less what someone does even if I don't, and pass no judgement.

• Like 3

This is different from novelty or shock value ideas. There is a tradition of this in some cultures not to mention other species. It is one of the most concentrated forms of nutrient you will find, which makes sense when you think about what it was designed for. I have seen recipes for it, including a spaghetti sauce once. Not sure if I could eat it myself but it isn't as unheard of as you might think.

• Like 1

Although I've heard this before, it now sounds like a trend that celebrities are doing at the moment.. namely Holly Madison who was one of Hef's former playmate/girlfriend. So I suppose now it's considered "cool" to eat placenta. Although it may have it's benefits, I won't be eating it in the future. Thank-you very much.

A 6:11 clip from a weird Finnish comedy cooking show... I didn't make it very far....

• Like 1

A 6:11 clip from a weird Finnish comedy cooking show... I didn't make it very far....

LOL

I watched it until the guy cut up the half-cooked BBQed placenta on his plate then I closed it... Couldn't go much further without taking a chance of ending up visiting the bathroom... I would be curious to know if he tried it or not lol

• Like 2

LOL

I watched it until the guy cut up the half-cooked BBQed placenta on his plate then I closed it... Couldn't go much further without taking a chance of ending up visiting the bathroom... I would be curious to know if he tried it or not lol

He did... and let's just say that I get squeamish eating liver, so this will definitely NOT be on the menu at any future gathering chez le vieux chien

• Like 1

Heh I saw that yesterday and also googled it, and apparently it stems from traditional Eastern medicine. I have heard that it can help prevent post-partum depression, and if I was worried about post-partum I think I'd consider it!

It made me feel a little less squeamish that they turn it in to capsules, and you don't just, you know, turn it in to a smoothie or something... :s

Heh I saw that yesterday and also googled it, and apparently it stems from traditional Eastern medicine. I have heard that it can help prevent post-partum depression, and if I was worried about post-partum I think I'd consider it!

It made me feel a little less squeamish that they turn it in to capsules, and you don't just, you know, turn it in to a smoothie or something... :s

I am still thinking ummmmmm.... no. Remember they also used bleeding, leeching, and eye of newt in traditional medicines too....

• Like 1

Was able to watch it all! What i found disgusting was more the fact they just served it as is, looking like a weird manta ray and that it was cook rare.(i only eat medium-welldone) And the crazy gagging....

I'm a huge carnivore, so i don't find it that disgusting. And why let it go to waste if it's full a nutriment and taste good(?). I'm sure it would look okay if you turn it into a ground steak or hide it in a recipe.

When my kids were born, lots of people were talking about putting the placenta in the ground and planting a tree. Lots of talk about freezing the umbilical cord for future issues in the kid's life.

Eating the placenta or having taxes on junk food, which is more screwed up?

• Like 1

Must be the hipster new agey placenta fad is a periodic thing. Circa 1968 thru 70's, southern St. Lawrence Co. was a hotbed of communes for the northeast. I lived just down the road from a half dozen hippie-havens, and being a curious young lad, I was a frequent visitor.

Ah, the memories of moonshine, herb-imported and homegrown, beards, woodsmoke, cute, but stinky, long haired lasses and lots of mud. Far out, man!!! But, I digress.

I remember being present after a couple births where cooked placenta was shared. As cool as I was trying to be, I did not partake. Yuck. If some people find it beneficial then so be it.

Hey man, I'm having a 70's flashback. Must've been all that Purple micro dot acid, or was it that mescaline? Got to climb up into my 67' Ford Econoline and boogie. Peace baby.

I really liked Audrey Eve's idea about making a smoothie out of the thing. What flavour of yogurt would go well with bloody meat jelly?

Like Nicolette, I have seen the thing up & close & personal. MMMmmm, nope! Just like Brussel Sprouts - you can't convince me it's good for me....and I ain't gonna eat it (shakes head side-to-side with mouth firmly clamped shut)!!

But to me, chowing down on the critter - it's like cannibalism...sort of.

Do you remember the dinner scene from the movie Hannibal?

• Like 1

Hmmm... it appears we were a bit off-base with this thread. It seems that you're not supposed to eat it...

h03F2A5B2

• Like 1

I suspect that any positive effects are psychological. That said, I think such is true for a number of new agey trends.

Besides the fact that the placenta itself probably has no substantial effects if eaten, it is certainly wrong to say that it would have no effect as placebo effects can be very strong.