Scents

Guest *Ste***cque**

This is related to Gabriella Laurence's recent post about body odor. It got me thinking about men's fragrance choices or lack thereof.

I like a great cologne but when I was in my early 20's I wasn't as concerned. I would even throw on the same shirt that I wore to the club the night before... and this was when they allowed smoking in clubs!

Once I started dating though, I quickly discovered the power of smells.

Even a shy, quiet and average looking guy(me) that smells great has a better chance with women than a good looking, funny guy with BO. At least that was my experience. Being a sharp dresser never hurt either but let's stick with smells for now.

The colognes I have gotten the best comments on were

- Chanel Platinum Egoiste

- Dolce & Gabbana's The One Gentleman

I also use Creed Original Vetiver, but it's ridiculously expensive so I only wear it on special occasions.

Each of these scents have gotten me lots of compliments.

Any SP's or hobbyists care to share their recommendations? Some of us could use the help.

While I appreciate a man whose chemistry mixes very well with a particular scent, some people tend to apply a bit too liberally. The application of any scent (other than body wash) should be subtle. The only people who should be able to smell it is someone in your embrace...that is sexy! I used to have a girlfriend whose choice of perfume may have been exquisite but she put on so much that the office staff was nauseous every time she entered the room. Less is better imho. But then again, back to the thread, everyone over the age of 14 should be wearing deodorant or antiperspirant when engaging in social activities.

• Like 3

I'm old school when it comes to mens' scent. I absolutely adore a nice smelling man and it turns me on no end. I like a little bit of understatement but the big thing is it must meld with the gentlemen himself. Some wear a scent that doesn't blend right so any scent should be tested.

Halston Z16

Jazz

Old Spice

I have one client that smells like Goat's Milk Soap and it's absolutely delicious on him. Whatever it is, make it your own!

• Like 1

I like something that is subtle and like Traci said that can be blended into the person. Dolce& Gabanna is a good one. I find that the heavier scented colognes when applied too much can be overwhelming. I find I am sensitive to certain smell so anything that is light scented to begin with is good.

• Like 1

I love a man that wears cologne, but anytime I ask a guy what he is wearing most can't remember the name, so I can't give any examples of my faves:)

• Like 2

Guest webothscore

I find after shower smells the best. No films leftover or strong scents or tastes. If any cologne, very light. On clothing, not body. Then when I am happy, I start licking myself ;)

Edited by webothscore
Addition

I love perfume and cologne as long as someone isn't wearing half a bottle. My two are Cool Water by Davidov, and Acqua Di Gio by Armani. They were both gifts from girlfriends in the past and I have stuck with them. Cool Water would be my fave.

• Like 1

I've never been big into cologne myself. (Probably stems from an old friend of mine in high school who used to bathe in Polo!) I used to have a girlfriend who loved the smell of Escape for Men, so I used to wear that a bit. Now I seldom use artificial scents (besides my deodorant). I do shower daily of course, and I'm fortunate to not be a heavy perspirer so I seldom have BO issues.

I do like a hint of perfume on a lady, but I find anything too strong or too floral to be off putting. I like it when women use fruit scented soaps, shampoos and other hair products as it leaves a lingering appitizing aroma. Stimulates the appitite so to speak.

I love perfume and cologne as long as someone isn't wearing half a bottle. My two are Cool Water by Davidov, and Acqua Di Gio by Armani. They were both gifts from girlfriends in the past and I have stuck with them. Cool Water would be my fave.

Cologne is very person specific and what works for one could be awful on another. I hardly ever wear cologne these days due to all the issues with people have allergies but after testing out many I also found that Acqua di Gio by Armani works very well with my body chemistry to produce a subtle masculine scent (it drives my wife mad). Application of cologne has a lot to do with how it smells, applying it with your fingers and rubbing it can actually "crush" the scent. Also over applying is disgusting, as a rule someone should have to be within about one foot of you to smell that soft scent if they can smell it any farther away than that you've got too much on. If I'm wearing cologne I'll just spray it into the air in front of me and walk through it instead of spraying it directly on the skin which I find is too concentrated.

For the past while I just use Nivea men's body wash and find the scent to be clean with just a hint of cologne and I've gotten many compliments on it.

I rarely wear cologne since I wear scented antiperspirant along with scented body wash and clean clothes that usual smell like gain washing soap.(smells amazing). On special occasion I wear Calvin Klein or Swiss army old Christmas gifts that seem to last a lifetime hehe. Although I do remember wearing Swiss army to a rendezvous with a ma once and she couldn't stop sniffing me lol it drove her wild.

There are very few spray scents that I like on men when it comes to colognes and eau du toilettes, etc, so I usually prefer they just skip it. Anything overpowering is a turn off, and a little goes a long way. A few times I thought a couple men smelled good and asked what they were wearing and they said it was just deodorant! So I guess there is some subtle but nice smelling deodorants out there too.

I really just like the smell of freshly showered body, with a simple bar of Ivory or Dove, or even a nice men's shower gel. I also really like the scent of clean laundered clothes too. Like Tide or Sunlight and Bounce sheets. :) Yum.

I used to use this stuff, but just can't seem to find it. Came with a warning and everything LOL

Hai%20Karate.jpg

Seriously though, I don't use aftershaves/colognes etc. One I have to be careful, my skin doesn't react too well with some after shaves/colognes. Second, a lot of people are allergic to scents...be terrible to see a lady and she has an allergic reaction to an aftershave I'm wearing. Third, the scent may in fact not smell good to the lady, but be strong and offensive

I'll just stick to a shower with soap and hot water, dry off and apply antiperspirant

Just too bad I can't find soap on a rope anymore LOL

shower%201974.jpg

A quick rambling with flashbacks to the 1970's LOL

RG

• Like 2

I've gotten compliments on mine, but I have no idea what it is (lol.....good call, Cristy). Call me psychic, but I have a feeling that if you shower at the time of the appointment and, therefore, smell like the soap or bodywash that the SP provides, you're off to a good start.

• Like 2

Guest C**Tra****er

I do like to wear cologne, and I used to wear a wee bit of Calvin Klein's Eternity, but with an increasing amount of society having sensitivities to scents and this now affecting my spouse, I stopped wearing it. I don't want to be the cause of an asthma attack or a trip to the ER.

That said, I was never one to wear a lot.

Nowadays, it's only antiperspirant, with a shower in the morning before work and another after the gym in the evening.

Scents shouldn't be used to mask poor hygiene!

Just as an inserted FYI here, Calvin Klein uses something their scented products that triggers many allergies and severely. This has been known for years yet nothing has been done about it. Definitely products to avoid for sensitivities.

Steve, in a social context I do enjoy a nice perfume on a man if it's applied very lightly.

I have severe allergies and my body reacts very badly to most perfumes and many other scented products so for intimate encounters I prefer that my gentleman has that fresh-clean out of the shower smell only. Nothing more, nothing less... Well, except for deodorant ;) lol

Cologne is very person specific and what works for one could be awful on another.

Absolutely!

I hardly ever wear cologne these days due to all the issues with people have allergies but after testing out many I also found that Acqua di Gio by Armani works very well with my body chemistry to produce a subtle masculine scent (it drives my wife mad).

I love the smell of Acqua di Gio by Armani and the bonus is that it is also one of the only perfumes my skin doesn't react to and where I do not end up with a full blown skin reaction so for me, it's my choice of perfume for a man :)

One thing to keep in mind when selecting a body spray, deodorant, cologne, etc is that a woman's sense of smell is significantly more "powerful" than a man's. Some studies suggest up to 100 times more powerful in fact. There aren't any extra olfactory sensors or anything, scents just activate a larger percentage of a woman's brain and stimulate her more.

As a result they are MUCH more sensitive to scents so less truly is more when it comes to perfumes. It's quite easy to overwhelm your (potential) partner, especially when it comes to colognes and eau de toilettes. A small spritz on one wrist, rubbed into the other wrist and lightly dabbed on your neck is all it takes in most cases since they're so concentrated. The idea is to be subtle and have her lean in closer for a better smell after all. ;)

As for when seeing a SP or MA, I'd recommend no body spray, deodorant only, and a shower beforehand, the last thing you want is for her to break out in hives, haha.

• Like 2

One thing overlooked... colognes and perfumes are not meant to be used to mask a prevailing bodily odour; they are best applied to clean, freshly washed skin.

In other words, if you spray a wet dog with Polo, it's still going to smell like a wet dog.

As for nice light clean scents?

The ever popular Acqua de Gio is good...

Bulgari Aqua

Issey Miyake - Summer

Armani - Code

Hugo Boss - Soul

Lightly applied, they all make you feel just a bit more clean.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd prefer no cologne to bad cologne. Certainly a great smell can be very arousing, but conversely, an overpowering aroma will hinder my ability to do my job. If you want to be on the safe side, I'd just go with the clean, freshly-showered smell. But I do think that once you've met with your SP/MP a couple of times, some cologne may spice things up ;)

I do like to wear cologne, and have been wearing Nautica Voyage for some time. Seems the watery based scents seem to work for me. Must be due to the fact I was in the Navy and Marines. ;)

A person who's drowned in cologne or perfume or aftershave turn me off big time. So, I am extremely careful not to overdo it myself. Before an appointment, I take a thorough shower with Dove soap. Then a bit of Old Spice deordorant in underarm arm area and a tiny bit of body lotion.

On another note, I just love the "mild" scent of a lovely lady I recently received at home. After an overnight stay, she borrowed a robe from me when she had finished her shower and then wearing it while putting on her makeup and so on. The mild scent she has left on the robe is so sweet, sensual and perfect and it reminds me so much of our lovely encounter.

• Like 1