Unfortunate fall outs due to the electronic age.

I have noticed that society doesn't really have etiquette when it comes to texting. Yes, people shut their phone off in a movie theatre, etc but when it comes to texting, I find it extremely rude when people who spend time with me whether it's dinner or doing something else start texting non stop.

I have family members who do this yet thinks it's no big deal but have called them on it and told them it's rude. Their reaction? Like I'm from another planet.

Perhaps I'm old school. I'm from generation X so I think I am old enough to remember when there was no internet, cell phones and Facebook but still at the age where I know better and social etiquette norms before technology replaced these small details.

Guest ChantalSummers

Oh yes it's unattractive when people spend more time on their phones than being social. When you text or email more than social in real life I find you are depriving yourself of your other senses like visual and auditory. Like facial expressions, tons, and body language. This can lead to misinterpretations fast. I must say however the one time where technology really let me down was when my facebook profile got hacked into by this very conniving guy who was upset I wouldn't date him. He caused all kinds of damage like making me say things to personal contacts that weren't at all like myself. It made loved ones really worry about my health and well being. To the point where I found myself admitted to an eating disorders clinic that I didn't at all need to be in. My mom worries enough as it is. However I'm like a cat. So I always land on my feet. I was lucky enough to eventually overcome this. But the hurt and despair was unreal at the time.

Well, I just had lunch with my daughter, who spent it virtually talking to people elsewhere through her phone. Eventually I gave up and joined her. When I looked around there were families and groups all about us doing the same thing. 4 people at a table, each on their phone. We are more connected, and more alienated from each other all, at the same time.

My father is in his 70's and while he's had a cell phone for a long time, my brother just showed him how to text the other day. Now he texts me everyday non stop but I like it. :)

It's good that you like him texting you Nicolette. Appreciate that you both can text one another . Although Dad wasn't into texting, we did phone and email each other. Now I'll never get to talk to him on the phone or email him again, or see him again

RG

• Like 1

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPhone. I have access to my entire life on it. I have DropBox (a file storage system where I put all of my important school related documents), my calendar, the internet, iMessage, texting, e-mail, and I also have access to Facebook, Twitter, a really good camera...

Without my phone I feel naked. I went to the Nordik Spa yesterday for 6 hours and left it in the locker room. It felt great! I definitely missed it though. I wanted to share my happiness with some people that couldn't be there with me physically.

While I sometimes feel chained to my devices (I have an iPad and laptop too), they also facilitate relationships (i.e. long-distance relationships) that I wouldn't have otherwise had. I think the problem comes when those texts/e-mails are expected, rather than viewed as a gift; when a lack of those texts/e-mails are internalized as a lack of desire to be 'in touch'. Sometimes that's not the case... sometimes life just happens, or sometimes you simply want to disconnect. That needs to be respected, absolutely.

I've had the most EPIC misunderstandings via text! It's very true that I sometimes misunderstand expressions, words, or input a tone of voice that isn't accurate. It usually works out though :) I express myself very well via text (texting or e-mail) and really appreciate being able to be thoughtful and take my time when I respond.

I think some people find me weird when I'm face to face and I say "can you give me a moment to compose my thoughts?"... and I literally make them wait an entire minute while I think.

I definitely understand the desire to speak on the telephone though, and I love that too. In fact, I love FaceTime! It's an application on the iPhone similar to Skype :D! Skype rocks my socks off too...

Ok... I'm obviously into my technology. My rant is over ;)

I have mixed feelings about the communication revolution that we are living with at the moment. As often happens when the speed of advancement outpaces our customs, we struggle to find balance. The Internet surrounds us and binds us together. Smart phones and tablets, desk tops and lap tops give us access to information and each other in a way that has never happened before in all of human history. So in a way it is not surprising that we see behaviours that have us wondering about the state of humanity and cause despair for our youth.

I love that I can learn just about anything with a touch. I have instant access to news, weather, music, entertainment, friends and just about anything else I could want. I tend to avoid social media, not as political statement but more because at this stage in my life I just don't need it. If I were in my teens today, I would be neck deep in social media. The Internet can be a haven for idiots and assholes. I avoid them. Less drama and I'm happier.

I leave my work issued Blackberry on my night stand when I get home. It stays there all weekend long. I leave it at home when I vacation. I let my employers know that I'm theirs for the time they compensate me, but my time remains mine. So far, it seems to work for both Parties. I used to resent the Blackberry. I considered it an electronic ankle bracelet and an anchor. Then I set my night stand boundaries. Now my BB and I get along just fine. I no longer resent it and it makes for a useful tool during the work day.

Those who have met me in person know I have little trouble expressing myself. Writing gives me a different platform from which I can share. I've come to embrace the written word again. While texting and tweeting lend themselves more to poetry and abbreviation than to carefully crafted essays, they too have their place.

I want to believe that in time we will find our social balance. Once we become more comfortable with the communication revolution we will all set our own limits. The Internet may always be home to idiots and assholes and in time they may have only each other to flame and cyber-bully. The technology has improved my life more than it has hassled it. I say full speed ahead and damn the friggen Auto-correct!

• Like 1