Unfortunate fall outs due to the electronic age.

Guest webothscore

While I cannot say it has let me down, I agree with your thread. Nothing is better than face to face interaction, especially when you consider the uniqueness of individuals.

When I joined Cerb, 2yrs ago I had no, absolutely no computer

knowledge or tech abilities. I had just gotten my very first computer, I was not wanting to join " the technology age". It took me a little while to learn things, heck I didn't even know the keys, yes a true computer virgin. Nor did I know the etiquette. Being stubborn and one to never fully read anything, especially directions, rules, contracts, ect- a big mistake as I've suffered a few consequences. But that's okay:) I've always been one to accept the punishment of my deed. In saying all that I do still find it hard to get my point across when typing, as this post may illustrate, but I try. I also live a lifestyle that doesn't warrant the need to have the latest new tech gadget, nor do I want it. I prefer to put my money into a nice car, and to help animal shelters and their homeless animals:) What I do find frustrating in the tech age is the need for people to text instead off picking up the phone to talk, I hate that.

Edited by cr**tyc***es
  • Like 5

Guest B**na***oy

I couldn't agree more with Meg, although the use of modern communication technologies bring spectacular benefits, the subtleties of human interactions have taken its toll.

I frequently encounter situations where what I write is misinterpreted or taken out of context. By the time I find out that what I have written caused an issue and I try to offer an explanation or a correction to what I said, a couple days may have gone by. First impressions being an important part of communication, sometimes the damage is irreversible. Facebook in particular is a notorious place where some people got into serious trouble over their communications.

Nevertheless, I find CERB to be a pretty forgiving environment, thanks to the open mind of the participants. Thank you Meg for raising the issue, interventions like this serve as a reminder to remain vigilant in our correspondence and respectful of others.

As an example, this is the best I can do this morning with my phone while sitting on the throne. ;-)

I'm going to sound like the young one. I do enjoy the convenience of texting and certain technologies.

I agree a lot is lost in context when writing.

As for other technology that has let me down I would have to say there is a lot. It all come down to greed and money. We have the ability to make the world a better place but we don't why cause it cost too much or its not worth losing income over. We had the knowledge of electric cars decades ago but only in the past few years have we started using it. Why, cause gas make money.

We should already have cures for certain disease but why invest in a cure and lose out on money from the drugs that slow the process down.

Heck why do we still develop weapons of mass destruction. Why is there still starving people cause it all cost money that greed has prevented us from changing.

• Like 3

Comm technology just underscores Marshall McLuhan's thesis statement: "The medium is the message". When we buy-into the various & ever-evolving devices, are we diminishing our ability to transmit information in a humanistic way or are we simply struggling to find ways to plug ourselves into the global village?

• Like 4

For me, there are real issues with being connected so immediately all the time. While I think the written form carries with it problems of misinterpretation, the speed of communication is another issue. The immediacy of communication forms like text and e-mail are both a huge advantage and disadvantage.

It seems to me being connected all the time, whether to individuals, communities, or work, can be too much. I'm a huge fan of technology, and quite addicted to my devices, but still one has to question some of the trade-offs we've made in terms of social interaction.

Right now I'm on vacation, but I'm still getting inquiries from people who don't seem to understand I'm away. I could turn off my phone, but some of the messages are important, and need to be addressed, if only to forward them to someone else. Maybe next year I'll get the nerve up to leave the phone behind.

Porthos

• Like 1

Digital communication definitely does not carry the same aspect as a face to face ... where you could see the other person reaction; emotion and gesture. Yes I agree that certain things are misinterpreted when red quickly.

I would call my self connected - I would feel naked leaving the house without my cellphone, would be lost when Rogers Internet is down at the house etc. Luckily I also am pretty good to decide to turn these devices off from time to time -- just have to decompress!

As per work phone .. well lets just say its on all the time. I might check my email's time to time, but never really respond outside my working hours. Emergency happens, isn't there were we have contingency plan in place? :D

• Like 1

Technology has changed many people's behaviour in how they respond to one another. For example, when sending someone a text, how about at least a "Hello"? A person's voice and the pleasures of a conversation are now replaced with looking at words on a screen with no one talking back.

It seems these days if you don't respond to someone' texts or phone calls and they can't get you at that very moment, it's almost as if there is a crisis. "Where are you?" "Why didn't you respond to my texts?". Back in the old days, if you couldn't get a hold of someone, you had to wait until they called you back or by attempting to contact them again.

It seems as though as technology advances, as devices become faster, society has instant gratification issues.

Could I go for a cell phone for a day? I sure could. I did it before.

Human interaction and the actions that follow it seem to be replaced with technological devices and I would be curious to see how this will play out years from now.

• Like 5

I enjoy the ability to be able to say something to someone when I remember it be it 7am 10pm or 3am or no matter where I am. I spent many years in management with a phone or radio strapped to me and then had some issues caused by one of the first cell phone batteries so now, I dislike the phone immensely. I do miss the days of hanging out and having a conversation because face to face is still the most brilliant interaction possible. One thing I don't understand is the younger kids sitting in a room together texting one another. THAT is when I realize how bad it's gotten. Our young people talk in slang or text speak and I wonder what that means when they get into the real world or for us when they do.

As Nicolette said, we are also more of an instant gratification society now but we are also more of a self absorbed society too. People seem to be more into themselves and their little bubble especially in traffic. It's like they forget there is anyone else there.

Mind you, I couldn't do without the internet because it lets me keep in touch with those people who are most important to me. It also allows me knowledge and expression. Skype is wonderful for this too especially across miles, provinces and countries.

I think technology is great, I think the way we incorporate it into our lives needs work.

• Like 4

I do love technology and the unlimited possibilities of it even though as a vintage player I am just nibbling at the edges.

I tend to write the same way I speak and appreciate word play and because subtlety can be lost electronically I am much more succinct and direct than I would be during a face to face conversation. I like twitter for this reason, one must learn to be succinct with 120 character limit :)

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Another thing I can't stand that came along with the internet is social media. I'm probably one of the rare people to state that I'm not a fan of Facebook or Twitter. I've got friends. If I want to talk to them, I will call them or go visit them in person.

While it can also be viewed as a good tool to have with friends or family who are hundred or thousands of miles away, I find many people use it to say "Look at me!, look at me!" syndrome. I really don't care that you had a blueberry muffin for breakfast or how much iron you pumped at the gym. I find it has made society so much more self absorbed with little regard for others. How many of those 400 people on someone's Facebook page are their TRUE friends?

I find technology has created a monster.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

I remember seeing a cartoon with two twentysomethings sitting together at a restaurant and they are both on their smart phones. One of them looks up from his phone and says "you're breaking up with me"? I thought it was funny until I started seeing couples at coffee shops and restaurants and they aren't speaking to each other, they are looking at their phones and texting or surfing! I see this all the time with younger people. I sometimes worry where things are headed.

You have to adapt your marketing strategies to this new reality so I'm being dragged into this medium due to business. I have been told I must have a business facebook page, linkedIn account and a twitter account to help with search engine optimization so people can find my business online easier. I've been told I should be tweeting 3 times a day and posting on FB daily. WHAT?! I'll do it but I don't understand the obsession. Does anyone care what shampoo I use or whether I liked my sandwich for lunch? I know for business you want to keep it business focused but most of the posts I see are about fluff. Some people come across as narcissistic to me when they continually post about their FB lives. No one seems to post "real" stuff like you might talk about face to face with someone over coffee.

I think it's too much and eventually it could have a negative effect on stress levels. I go to a movie theatre and while buying my ticket or getting popcorn there are games to play, bells going off and people head down looking at their phone until you can sit down and see things explode on screen. As soon as the movie is over out come the phones and down go their heads. Good luck trying to make eye contact when your waiting in line. Why the need for so much distraction? Any ideas?

One good solar flare and I think we might be better off as a species in the long run.

Sometimes electronic media, be it emails/pm's/post's, has the unfortunate side effect that subtle nuances don't get picked up. For example sometimes something written in humour just gets read as nasty. But then again, that is where internet shorthand comes in, such as LOL etc. But the electronic media IMHO has actually brought us closer together. Take this board, well community for example. We are all here a bunch of like minded people. While we share a common lifestyle we also discuss other topics of interest. And we are members coast to coast. Electronic media has in fact brought a lot more people closer together. This just wouldn't happen back in the days of landlines, and no internet.

But that said, one thing I don't understand (and maybe because I don't get it) is Facebook and Twitter. At work for example, a bunch of people are networked on Facebook talking on a computer after work what they talked to each other during the workday about.

Anyhow, a rambling

RG

• Like 2

Sometimes electronic media, be it emails/pm's/post's, has the unfortunate side effect that subtle nuances don't get picked up. For example sometimes something written in humour just gets read as nasty. But then again, that is where internet shorthand comes in, such as LOL etc. But the electronic media IMHO has actually brought us closer together. Take this board, well community for example. We are all here a bunch of like minded people. While we share a common lifestyle we also discuss other topics of interest. And we are members coast to coast. Electronic media has in fact brought a lot more people closer together. This just wouldn't happen back in the days of landlines, and no internet.

But that said, one thing I don't understand (and maybe because I don't get it) is Facebook and Twitter. At work for example, a bunch of people are networked on Facebook talking on a computer after work what they talked to each other during the workday about.

Anyhow, a rambling

RG

Sometimes even with an LOL people get the wrong impression.

Guest *Ste***cque**

Hi RG,

I don't really agree with your comment that electronic media has brought us closer together. Maybe you meant that it has made it easier to connect but I don't think it has made us closer towards each other. These connections on FB, text or email don't have the same impact as face to face, just as a Facebook Like on Habitat for Humanity's FB site isn't the same as showing up with a hammer. You could argue that you still care by liking their page but it's not the same as showing you care in person. Sometimes it's worse because caring electronically excuses having to show it physically. I read an ad from a charity recently that said "Likes don't save lives" and it was commenting on what it called "slactivism" or peoples electronic activism over real activism. We think we're closer than ever but emotionally we're drifting further apart.

I'm not suggesting this is what you meant by your post. If we were face to face I could probably read your intent better. LOL

Steve

Hi RG,

I don't really agree with your comment that electronic media has brought us closer together. Maybe you meant that it has made it easier to connect but I don't think it has made us closer towards each other. These connections on FB, text or email don't have the same impact as face to face, just as a Facebook Like on Habitat for Humanity's FB site isn't the same as showing up with a hammer. You could argue that you still care by liking their page but it's not the same as showing you care in person. Sometimes it's worse because caring electronically excuses having to show it physically. I read an ad from a charity recently that said "Likes don't save lives" and it was commenting on what it called "slactivism" or peoples electronic activism over real activism. We think we're closer than ever but emotionally we're drifting further apart.

I'm not suggesting this is what you meant by your post. If we were face to face I could probably read your intent better. LOL

Steve

What I meant is that people from far distances are brought together. Back in the days of landlines only and no internet you and I for example would likely never have communicated. I live in Ontario, yet I have got to know, a bit, people in the Maritimes, Pacific, and Prairies for example, people I otherwise would never have known. I guess the best way to phrase it is it has allowed us to network, and a broader if you will social circle, albeit some of that social circle a virtual one

The Facebook and Twitter thing I do confess I don't get it. Like I cited in my example, there are people at work who talk to one another by day and Facebook each other by night.

I also don't get this need to have a cell phone to your ear 24/7...I don't remember line ups at pay phones growing up.

RG

If I really like you on facebook

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo0u36gtmEb8pSZUkwdm4OBMQZgcth0nkOIANgWkHiMUMBJML1Iw

Then I will poke you

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0K4wMxB6BpE2DdCqmbXVpDdvQ9r_Tp8H3XQgl8_lailnC2WC3kg

Which hopefully leads to this kind of poke ....... :hump:

But could lead to a facepunch or faceslap me

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4uxh04i4XwW0H6qE5otps7JW5iCVakabBeX3lkKpS5ZKSSA29fA

event_theme.jpg

Then you may unfriend me so I will facepalm

facepalm.png

Followed by an emoticon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbbKCpwRdRgxMq4RUm0IUTp8TWXIhrDMb3Abnf5Acs0c7Rz8RI

Then I will :icon_sad: then :aol_poundit:

Then start all over again tomorrow !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsLNGJ6rg0l2YsSJuFnwzk7bPA6V59cFlTNEPIW_X83VKxXRRE

The end.

• Like 2

Guest D***el B***e

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the OP comment. To me it's called progress. At the turn on the 19th century, if you wanted to play with your friend, you gad to walk alllll the way to his/her house to see if he/she was there in the first place. And then, if it was ok with mother, you could play .... move forward 50 years and WOW .... telephone! .... now at least you could phone and check if your friend could play with you before heading out ... move forward 50 years and WOW ... webcam! .... now you don't even need to ask mother, you can play and enjoy a friend's company instantly!

It's all about progress. I'm not saying it's all good or bad, you can embrace it if you want, but it's there and available when you need it!

my 2 bitcoins!!!!

Guest realnicehat

"When I was young and wanted to communicate with someone I had to hand write a letter. Thanks to these new fangled tel-e-o-phones nobody knows how to write a letter any more!" - Every great grandfather/mother ever.

Much like the OP, I too remember when I wanted to speak with someone needing to hold a phone receiver larger than my shoe to my face, switching sides when my arm got tired, being tethered to within five feet of the kitchen wall and occasionally slingshotting the phone across the room if I stepped too far away.

I also remember when we got touch-tone, the first time I saw a cordless phone (w. telescopic antenna!!!), our first car phone, our first portable phone (a Zach Morris special), and I have lost track of the number of cells I have personally owned (best guess 9).

You probably didn't need my entire telephone history (although I'm sure it was riveting) but I wanted to establish that I am not a child of the hi-tech age. I do not speak faster with my thumbs than my mouth. I do however love that we now have several different choices for communication.

Phone calls, emails, text messages and social media offer me so many options and I happily use each of them daily from a single device.

I have to say, I have never really had any major issues or "fallout" with any of it. Sure, there have been misunderstandings when someone has misinterpreted my meaning or perhaps read it with an unintended tone but I don't find that this occurs any more often that it does in person. It is not uncommon for me to offer a one liner that I think is funny only to get a dirty look. In fact, I find that communicating in a written/text format offers me an opportunity to self edit where as in person I occasionally blurt things out that get me in trouble.

Communication in all of its forms is a learned skill. Some people are better at it than others, although probably not across all formats. I see brilliant examples of humour and thoughtful prose in social media and blogs. I think most people will agree that they find several posts a day on Cerb that make them laugh or touch them somehow. If humour and sarcasm are lost then someone had better send a note to a certain, shall we say, Aged Canine?

I can certainly understand Meg's frustrations, especially when I consider the number of tire kicking texters, hang up callers, and board trolls that the ladies must deal with at any given time. And to be honest, at the end of the day, my favourite feature on my smartphone is the off switch.

I'll end my rambling with a simple thank you to those who come here every day, thoughtfully sharing your humour, concerns, feelings, and insights. It is those posts that demonstrate that all is not lost but perhaps simply evolving.

Not all of us are able to express ourselves adequately in words but yet we may be very adept in person.

This is very true. Context is really important, so it's little wonder that communication is mostly non-verbal versus with words, verbal or written (roughly a 70/30 split).

Try not to get discouraged. One thing that I don't believe will ever change is how the people that really matter to each of us choose to reach out to us in the way we will be most receptive.

• Like 1

My father is in his 70's and while he's had a cell phone for a long time, my brother just showed him how to text the other day. Now he texts me everyday non stop but I like it. :)

• Like 2

"When I was young and wanted to communicate with someone I had to hand write a letter. Thanks to these new fangled tel-e-o-phones nobody knows how to write a letter any more!" - Every great grandfather/mother ever.

The "back in my day" rant really hits home. I think the difference is that various generations will have their own comfort zone. When I was growing up, there were no cell phones, no e-mail, no tablets or I pods, no netflix etc.. I recall that the Commodore 64 computer and Pay TV were considered "cutting edge" lol. With reference to the above quote, talking on the phone was considered normal, in the same way that texting is the norm today. Young people have never known a world without modern technology, so for them it is the accepted standard as opposed to a technological advancement. I happen to hate texting and will only do so when there is no alternative. I would much rather pick up the phone and call someone to hear their voice, but it's only because it's what I'm used to. I'm sure someday when the newest technological communications marvel is unveiled and youth of the day jump on the bandwagon, people will be saying "Why doesn't anyone text anymore?" haha.

• Like 1

Love this...and i did it with my oldest kid and his girlfriend...no one touched their phones...nothing more insulting and rude then someone texting whie having dinner...if you must take an important call...walk away from the table and come back when you're done!

As for answering the tread...i tend to hold back sometimes coz i dont know how to get my idea through on text...my french background maybe and issue!!