Game of Thrones

Just starting the third novel in the Game of Thrones series. The books are very well done and well worth the read....just wondering if the HBO series for TV is as well done as the books. Haven't seen any of them yet but thinking of starting to watch them now that I am almost caught up to the film version so far. Hope I won't be disappointed.

On the 2nd book now, the series follows the books as close and well as a TV show can I think, very well done. Im waiting to finish the books before carrying on to each season. Plus boobies!!

• Like 1

i'm a huge fan of the books, having devoured the first four and waiting to get into the fifth (which is currently sitting on my book shelf). Just started watching the first season and I'm very impressed by how close to the source material they remain. I'm interested to see how long they keep up being that true to the books, but having the author as an Executive Producer doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

Guest A*ro**n

The third book ends really strong and is going to make for some good television next season. The fourth and fifth are a bit more of a slog to get through, and are hopefully setting up for a good payoff in books six and seven (providing Martin gets a chance to finish the series off)

The series is hands down the best show on television right now, IMHO. There's some great acting going on to get the story told. The locations they're using are awesome; the shots from Iceland as north of the wall are just beautiful. My hats off to HBO for financing this show, as the scope is huge and we're getting film quality on tv.

The writers to have a huge amount of story to bring into episodic television, so they are condensing some of the story and amalgamating characters. But it's done very smartly. They're also adding to the story themselves, that wasn't covered in the books (i.e. the breaking of Theon).

Can't wait to see how it all ends.

I've read all five books and I've nearly finished listening to all five unabridged audio books. In many ways the books are an excellent companion to the TV series. The TV series does a great job of bringing Westeros into the real world. The writers have done an incredible job with the source material. The Renley/Loras connection that played out so well on TV, was only hinted at in the books.

I, like so many others, wonder if George R.R. Martin can stay ahead of the HBO production schedule. It feels like forever for Book Six, The Winds of Winter to be released. I recommend both the television production and the books. Be warned, they are getting longer, expect the last two tomes to be 1500+ pages each.

• Like 1

The books are awesome. I'll read book five when they stop buggering about and bring it out in paperback :)

And, yeah... I hope GRRM finishes the series before he dies of something... but the present rate of progress is not encouraging, unless he's discovered the Elixir of Life...

• Like 1

I've been reading the books since the first one came out and quite enjoy them, but in some ways like the television series more.

I found the last couple books could have benefited from a lot of editing, and in some ways it's become more sprawling than epic. The television show almost forces them to focus the story, and so the pacing is better.

I've always been generally OK when movies/tv changes book material though. They are different mediums and I don't judge them on how closely they match.

• Like 2

Guest A*ro**n

OK, going through withdrawls now. Still six months until the next season. Argggh.

Had a look at some news for the upcoming season, so looks like they've made some great additions to the cast. There's some set photos from the Dubrovnik shoot here. Looks like "The Mountain" is up to some plain ol' gruesomeness. Can't wait to see his duel with "The Red Viper".

Any SP's doing GOT roleplaying? :)

piccit_game_of_thrones__coexist_142_1756837649.640x0.png

Additional Comments:

Just found this for a good laugh:

I've read all 5 books and can't wait to sink my teeth into the next! I think it's hilarious to see people complain about waiting a few months for the next season...LOL! If only the wait between books was that short!

I could be a debbie-downer by sitting here and pointing out all the tiny miniscule differences between book/show, but as stated; they are tiny and miniscule therefore not worth discussing at length.

The show is amazing, the books are magical...

And I want to do dirty things Gendry "the bastard" Storm.

And Jon "the bastard" Snow.

And Jamie "kingslayer" Lannister.

Hell let me get in a room will all 3 of them and I'll die a happy lady!

That is all.

This may be humorous to GoT fans:

http://kotaku.com/bad-lip-reading-turns-game-of-thrones-into-hilarious-no-1446342284?autoplay=1

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Having read all five books so far I can say the books give you a better insight to the characters / the books allow you to see the broader scope of the series then the tv series can. The tv series is well done but you can't beat a good read!

"WINTER IS COMING!"

I love the books, and I like the adaptation.

I kind of identify with Ser Jorah. I'd follow the Khaleesi anywhere! :)

emilia-clarke-sin-maquillar.jpg

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am going to start rereading Book Five to refresh my memory of what is to come.

Kind of binge-watched the whole three seasons in about a week. Now I am anxiously waiting for S4 to begin. :icon_wink:

• Like 1

If you like the books rr martin has a few spinoff books relating to "a song of ice and fire". Just finished the "the wit and wisdom of tyrion lanister" about to dive in "The Hedge knight".

The books are great. Favourite outta the 5 is book 3. I like to call it the book where everybody dies ; ). 4th book was reeeeally slow but still enjoyable.

So if like the books look into the spinoff novels martin has published.

• Like 1

I don't read many books, but it seems everyone who has replied to this thread enjoys Game of Thrones. Perhaps I'll give the books a shot.

Kind of binge-watched the whole three seasons in about a week. Now I am anxiously waiting for S4 to begin. :icon_wink:

Now, finally, it is happening ... tomorrow night!! Can't wait! :biggrin:

Guest ****ven

Tomorrow night omggggg can't wait. I have a secret girl crush on that sexy minx Marjorie!

Yup...this is the first time I'm actually keen for the start of the new season. Heretically, the books never really grabbed me (though maybe it's time to try them again).

I kind of liked the first season, but wasn't overwhelmed. Then I was more intrigued by the second (and blown away -- ha ha! -- by the Battle of the Blackwater). Then I found the third season really took off with depth and moving the pieces forward.

I'll be watching tomorrow night, and then follow it immediately with PVR'ed Cosmos. Should be a good night! :)