Christmas ShakeUP please

HAALLLLPPPP!

I'm starting this thread a little early so I have time to consider all options.

After 50+ years of having turkey as the main roast beast for Christmas, I am finally ready to let go of tradition and think outside the North American Universe.

I am officially done with the turkey thing. For now. No promises 'cuz if all else fails, I need to have a fall back plan.

Please, please help expand my universe. Tell me something about what you will plan this year. Inspire me to take my first shaky step outside the Christmas fog of tradition. Ideas?

Although it'll be turkey again this year here are some other ideas for a Christmas main course dinner

Prime Rib

Pork Roast

Ham

Lamb (although more an Easter thing I guess)

Good Luck

RG

I still love turkey and look forward to it every time I cook it.

This past Thanksgiving we had a turduckin. I will NEVER have this again. It was horrible.

How about having lobster for xmas?

• Like 1

Guest ChantalSummers

All great ideas!! Love the prime rib mmmm yummm. And vegan is so healthy too ;). Tourtierres and ragoo would also give a new delighfully tasty spin to your Christmas. You could really get into the spirit of Christmas and have roast beef but call it roast beast like in the Grinch Who Stole Christmas lol. I am very partial to seafood so I would absolutely opt for baked lemon rosemary salmon, shrimp skewers, crab cakes, rice, and veggies like asparagus and salad. Best of luck in what you decide, Jabba & a very Merry Christmas in advance xoxo!!

Guest N***he**Ont**y

We also offer up a ham at Christmas and some delicious Finnish Dishes that are vegetarian as well as having turkey. Since we are a large group now we make it pot luck so it is not so much work for any individual.

How about going with a plate from different country...

there is always great traditions and dishes from foreign countries that you may enjoy...

Growing up my family always had Christmas dinner at breakfast time.

We opened presents, then my aunts, uncles and cousins would come over for Christmas breakfast. There would be all kinds of food. what I remember most is the steak and eggs, croissants filled with ham and eggs, French toast, homemade hash browns and fresh homemade bread.

Last year I had alot of family coming to my house for Christmas dinner so I decided to make it all BBQ food. We had ribs, steak, chicken, potatoes and I even did the veggies on the bbq. I also used the smoker to make all kinds of smoked cheeses and smoked meats for the kids to have.

It was such a hit that I've been asked to do it again this year :)

• Like 2

On Christmas Eve I entertain my kids (all adults now). We do "finger foods"- Chicken Wings, Meat Balls, Onion Rings, Egg Rolls, Veggies and Dip etc.

Christmas Morning, my eldest daughter does a breakfast buffet (somewhat like Red Seducteress described). No turkey on the menu at either event.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

Tis the season to over indulge! My parents are divorced so I have 2 dinners there and 1 at my wife's over the course of our visit ...and all are Turkey dinners. The families are happy but my stomach isn't.

I could take it or leave it, when it comes to this time of year and the stress it brings.

If I were single I might just fast for the entire day. Probably the best time of the year for it too. Get my mind off all the overindulgences and focus on more important things during that time of year.

bah!

Roast bison, or maybe venison.

Or a hearty moose stew!!

Of course goose is a nice alternative that sticks close to tradition.

Here is a sight that offers up some traditions from around the world.

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/planatrip/inspire-me/lists/top-5-alternative-christmas-dinners

I'm kinda digging the Netherlands...everyone around the stove, eating, drinking, enjoying! Heck, when I'm cooking the big feast they are there anyway and I'm stressed. This could move into a kind of cook off. Each person (or couple) brings a dish to the table (counter), and we all enjoy!

Guest webothscore

OP,

While I will likely repeat my thanksgiving turkey effort for Christmas, I'd like to recommend a variation of the brown sugar ham many have tried. Most associate the sweet taste with ham, but if you've ever tried a beef recipe with brown sugar or a sweet glaze, I think you would really enjoy it. Also, at this time of year, I try a lot of things with pomegranates.

Jabba,

As stated earlier, if you do not want to venture too far from tradition you can try duck or goose. If you are too fowled out, go exotic.

My most memorable festive holiday meal was a wild boar roast.

You might want to check out Sasloves Meats. I tend do to go to Bearbrook Farms in the east end because I live nearby. These are but two places to visit if you're willing to walk on the wild side. They have from amphibian to reptile to wild meats. The python fillets and camel roasts are intriguing me now.

If that doesn't shake it up, nothing will. It is all edible if you are willing.

Good luck and let us know how adventurous you are.

tpl