Does post count still count?

Do you use post count as a determining factor when assessing another member?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use post count as a determining factor when assessing another member?

• No. I feel it is meaningless and base my opinions solely on content.
    • Somewhat. I combine it with reputation to form an opinion.
    • Yes. Until a person reaches 100 posts their Newbie words are meaningless.
    • What the hell is a post count?

Guest realnicehat

As Cerb is supposed to be (at it's core) a recommendation and advertising board, at some point we all have to decide how much stock to put in to another member's posts.

One of the ways that this has commonly been done in the past is by looking at a persons post count.

A newbie offering a recommendation as his first post may often be viewed as a shill, while a first time advertiser with no recos may generate only cautious interest.

On the other hand, in the past I have seen senior members considered beyond reproach simply because they had a few hundred posts under their belt. Long term members garnered more respect.

Of course there are exceptions to this but I think it is fair to say that at one point post count really seemed to mean something. What I'm wondering is, at this point in Cerb's existence, does it still? How much value do you actually place on a person's post count? With all of the picture threads, abc games, music/movie/tv threads etc. post counts can rise at a much faster rate than they once did.

I'm not placing any judgement on or trying to oppose or change these activities. I've played a lot of ABC games in the past and I'm sure I've started my unfair share of superfluous threads. These topics have simply made it easier for some members, quite likely without even realizing it or trying, to make an average of 10-20 posts a day. One can now become a Senior member in the blink of an eye.

So what I'm wondering is, when considering a co-member's recommendation or opinion, how much (if any) stock do you put in their post count?

I follow the threads and the members and it doesn't take long to know who's hot and who's not. The good people of both genders show their personalities through their participation on here and those are the people I trust. The new people on here have to earn their stripes, and they will. Until they do, I trust the seasoned members' opinions and recos more. To answer the question, yes, post count still counts because they are trying to be a part of this forum.

• Like 5

Well I've been online for about 2 1/2 yrs now and I feel everyone has an online persona. For some it's truly as they are for others its a persona. So until I meet someone in person and know them that way I'll put little value into what they have to say in internet posts or the number of posts they have. I appreciate their opinions and respect, in most cases what's said but I believe what I see more than what I hear:)

• Like 6

I am just going to keep it short and to the point...

Reputation is not gained by an amount of post but FOR THE QUALITY!

Like many would say: Nuff Said!

• Like 7

Post count in and of itself doesn't count. Like already mentioned, some threads like the music threads and other game threads can put a post count up fast...and I've always said, and I'm the first to admit, likely half (maybe more) of my posts are from the music threads, and other game threads

Read the poster's posts, that'll give you an idea of the value of his/her posts. Just the number of posts he/she has written means nothing, well almost nothing, at least you know he/she participates in this board. About the only number if you want to assess a member by numbers alone is his/her reputation points. It quantifies how the CERB community over time thinks of that member. You don't find too many rep points handed out on the game threads.

But numbers are really just statistically quantifying posts. Really you have to look at the substance of the posts. Pull up the poster's profile and look at the posts he/she has written. And then you can better judge the value of his/her posts

A quick rambling

RG

• Like 4

For me post count doesn't mean much. If we have to look just at numbers then it would be reputation and how many times someone has been thanked or nominated. That shows how much of what they post actually adds "value" to the community. This also includes some posts that might exist in picture or game threads, if someone thought enough of even a silly, (non important) post to thank it then even that added value to the community in a way and should be recognized.

• Like 3

Guest ChantalSummers

I truly believe it's the person inside that counts and matters the most. Being lucky enough to meet both gents and lovely ladies is the best way to tell. Then you have the chemistry, unique enticing personalities, and great conversation to reflect on. If I haven't met yet then it's how they write their posts, interact in pm's and guest book messages, and the wonderful contributions they make to the board. Whether they be a little bit or a lot, everyone's wonderful, positive, and interactive contributions count. Just the fact that members are taking time out of their busy lives to be a part of the board is a priviledge. Btw how do you see someone's rep points? I only know how to see mine only cp user and don't know if they show.

I truly believe it's the person inside that counts and matters the most. Being lucky enough to meet both gents and lovely ladies is the best way to tell. Then you have the chemistry, unique enticing personalities, and great conversation to reflect on. If I haven't met yet then it's how they write their posts, interact in pm's and guest book messages, and the wonderful contributions they make to the board. Whether they be a little bit or a lot, everyone's wonderful, positive, and interactive contributions count. Just the fact that members are taking time out of their busy lives to be a part of the board is a priviledge. Btw how do you see someone's rep points? I only know how to see mine only cp user and don't know if they show.

Chantal

To see someone's rep points click on the bar underneath the "Thanked" (upper right hand corner) in a person's post, don't even need to pull up their profile. Their rep points will show up

RG

• Like 1

Actually, home page on the left. Click on Top 10 Stats, you can increase arrow to 20,50,100,200, then you can see categories as in Rep points, Top threads, Top posters,Social Groups, etc etc etc. No need to go to any profile the info is right there.

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

Good post. I am guilty of participating in ABC games etc but I would hope my credibility would be based on my threads that contain substance, not the games and bs threads.

Far from being credible myself, I tend to rely on three factors. Post count, reputation and the actual contributions from the individual. A low post count does not disqualify if I've read several postings that give insight into the author. Far from being a perfect science, I get a feel from the posts. The higher the post count the more reliable that feel becomes.

Not too long ago we had a contributor who basically flooded the boards with posts in a very short time span. The poster tried to portray themself as a thoughtful, reasonable individual. But something about this person seemed off. Soon it became apparent to many on this site that we had a particularly virulent troll in our midst. The community immune system kicked into gear and shortly thereafter the troll was sent packing.

My point in relating that story is that the community had decided this individual did not have what it takes to be a successful member of our family. The post count and reputation had little or nothing to do with the decision. It was the words and actions that sealed the troll's fate.

On a personal note, I like seeing my own post count rise. I reminds me of how far I've come and how much I still have to learn.

• Like 3

Guest *l**e

post count doesn't mean much to me unless the count is very very low (under 10, let's say).

If I see someone's post count is 1000, but the only thing they have ever posted in is "congrats on your post count" threads, and games etc, then the count really doesn't mean much.

Me for instance; my post count is over 600 or so, I think, but i post an ad every day, so approx 200-300 of them are my own ads

I think I pay more attention when I see that a person has made some posts in a thread that interested me in some way and their post was interesting, thought provoking or maybe even just flat out funny. If a member has piqued my interest in that way, even if they only have a few posts, I'm likely to pay attention to other posts they make.

Just my opinion.

I don't think just the numerical count of posts means much in itself but if you have a member who has a large number of posts that capture your interest....challenge your preconceived notions or in some cases frustrate you beyond reason... then maybe that is not a fluke... maybe the number counts for something.

Sometimes it is the posts that I initially disagree with or that challenge me that I get the most out of.

I have to say though...i do check out the post count...lol

My own post count isn't that important to me. I suppose in my newbie days of CERB, when I got over 100 posts that was important to me, more so because I didn't feel like a newbie anymore. But now, really in the greater scheme of things it isn't important. The only number, if numbers are important to you, should be reputation points, for it quantifies how the

CERB community thinks of you and your contributions to the board

As for acknowledging post counts, I think it is a good idea. A little while back there was a move on to get lurkers to be posters. Now those posters get acknowledged for making the 100 post count and so on. And higher posters are getting acknowledged too. It's just part of what makes CERB a community, not just a board

A rambling

RG

Guest realnicehat

Hey everyone, thanks for the interesting insights. I have to say I'm surprised at how many people chose "meaningless" although I'm not sure why. After all, it was my also choice and I usually do find myself in agreement with a certain segment of the board.

Now I do think that post count and rep points are an interesting tool that you can use to gauge a members participation level on the board.

To me, a high post count with a very low rep (just a few dark green bars) indicates that this member spends a lot of time on the board but doesn't really offer much in terms of content or community.

On the other hand, a lower post count with a mid to high rep (light green to gold bars) shows me that this member is getting in to the mix. Their contributions are being noticed and reacted to.

And then there's the high post high rep people. The ones that just never shut up! Kidding :icon_mrgreen: These are clearly members that have been around for a while, enjoy the silliness of the casual threads, are willing to help guide the newbies but also mix it up the threads that can get a bit controversial.

Of course, there are exceptions to every one of those rules, by no means are they written in stone, they are just my perceptions. And after reading them you might think that I really do take a lot of stock in those statistics.

But here's the thing: the members whose opinions I really value, the ones whose response to a topic I can't wait to read or who really make me question my own take on something, I have no idea how many posts they have or what their rep is.

When a touchy subject comes up I know that Mightypen is going to be the voice of reason, clearly and concisely without any condescension or scorn.

When a newbie needs help I know that Roamingguy will often be the first man in with advice, and that that advice rarely waivers in intention or content.

When a guy says something remarkably sexist or idiotic I can't wait to see who gets to him first but I know if its EmJ or Kathryn its going to be good.

I know that if Cleo finally steps in to the fray that things have probably gone to far and if Cat, Nathalie or Miss Jane weigh in you should probably just shut up and listen. I'm not saying they're always right (I'm also not saying your wrong ladies) but their responses will be extremely well thought out and very hard to dispute.

I also have a good idea who is going to lighten things up, who is always just going to have fun, who is always very serious, who loves to play devil's advocate, who is going to ask some pretty weird questions but means well, who will simply just try to be a dick and that Il Re smells his fingers a lot ;)

What's my point, besides name dropping? It's that while I know and appreciate so much about my fellow members I rarely (if ever) look at their post count or rep. I'm far more interested in what they are going to say. So to me, at this point in my board tenure, the numbers don't have a lot of use. That being said, I can certainly see how they will help others as they join us for the ride.

Thanks again for participating.

RNH

Edited by realnicehat
I had there their they're issues

@realnicehat....I quite enjoyed your name dropping breakdown there and how true what you said.

To answer your other question, I voted meaningless because I am all about content, quality content. Helpful, insightful, funny, playful etc. You can have a high post count from advertising, posting pics, word games etc. and while many of these are still interesting to see what someone has to say, what words they associate with, and potentially a playful side, I enjoy reading the more in depth thoughts, sharings, life glimpses. It's all these aspects that give quality and personality to all those lovelies behind the keyboards, phones, tablets etc.

I love this community for all that's shared beyond the bedroom (or around it or hanging from the ceiling). One thing that always makes me smiles is how close you can feel to someone that's perhaps hundreds or thousands of km's away.

I tend to look at the quality of the post and of the poster, and a little bit of the quantity of posts, but only a small number really needs to be there to give a reasonable level of credibility.

I would like to comment on the reputation points, two things, first there was a period when "rep points went wild" and posters were getting an exponential number of rep points, so if you got a reasonable number of reps type points during that period, they translated to a huge number, so some members rep points are overstated. So, one needs to be careful.

Second, I find that if you have an opinion contrary to main stream, you will get less support than if you go with the flow and are overly supportive and sympathetic in general. To me, it is okay to have a different point of view, and you should not be condemned for that. So, depending on the type of person, willing to give an opinion or go with the flow, it can contribute to your rep points. So, I don't pay that much attention to those either. I think it is good to have a different point of view, and that shouldn't always be considered negative, or even that the comments are, so long as it doesn't get personal.

So, form you own opinion based on the quality of the posts of the posters, and worry only somewhat that the poster has at least a small number of posts.

• Like 2

Post count in and of itself doesn't count. Like already mentioned, some threads like the music threads and other game threads can put a post count up fast...and I've always said, and I'm the first to admit, likely half (maybe more) of my posts are from the music threads, and other game threads

Read the poster's posts, that'll give you an idea of the value of his/her posts. Just the number of posts he/she has written means nothing, well almost nothing, at least you know he/she participates in this board. About the only number if you want to assess a member by numbers alone is his/her reputation points. It quantifies how the CERB community over time thinks of that member. You don't find too many rep points handed out on the game threads.

But numbers are really just statistically quantifying posts. Really you have to look at the substance of the posts. Pull up the poster's profile and look at the posts he/she has written. And then you can better judge the value of his/her posts

A quick rambling

RG

I've seen some, not many, forum members who do seem to be deliberately increasing the # of post counts, and when you do take a look at those posts, they are basically fluff. It seems obvious what they are up to. I've been on sites where my join date was older than theirs, for example, but within a few months, they've already tripled the # of posts compared to my own.

That always seems fishy to me. What are they trying to accomplish? Manufacture a reputation? Give the illusion of reliability? Because if someone takes a look at their 1,000 post count, with a fairly meaningful recent post, then wants to take a look at whatever other pearls of wisdom they have dispensed, they will be sadly misled into a series of "well done', "ditto', "+1" or a series of 'funny' but thread relevant picture posts that account for 900 of their posts.

So quality is key. I am a bit suspicious of the long time members who suddenly start posting, after 3 or more years of silence. It seems like these are accounts that might have been hacked (emailing for password level of hacking), especially if it is followed by dozens and hundreds of posts, to establish forum credibility.

In any case, those types of posters seem a bit desperate, trying to establish a reputation and credibility they are unable to establish any other way. Tells me they are up to something lol.

• Like 2

It is beneficial to have a higher post count :-) but you must also provide recs of your encounters aswell. I have a somewhat a higher post count and have provided a reasonable amout of recs to go along with my posts. Not much lately though, as I have chosen not to participate much on this board. Wonder why? Perhap's to many Rambling's. and so on. Also, a change in profession has had an impact on my hobbying activities needless to say. I also really don't care to be curtailed in my post's. Say it as it is!

• Like 1

For myself only.... it is my reputation as a gentleman,my friendships through encounters that I have had with many Ma's and Sp's is what matters to me.

It is not my post count,but what I give back to the board in recommendations and various threads, and my acquaintances with ladies from Cerb.

Edited by PistolPete
because