what am I doing wrong?

its not easy to put this out there... but here goes :)

I think I must be doing something wrong here, because I have difficulties in Ottawa / Pembroke that I don't experience in other areas of the province. I know that some cities have their own way of doing things ... and maybe someone can give me some direction and some tips to help me avoid this difficulty in the future.

I advertise well in advance, I am well established and well reviewed. I offer a good service, post real & recent pics, and I'm reliable. However, I don't usually accept last minute bookings from gents I don't already know. So I end up in trouble when I visit Ottawa... cause for some reason I am always plagued with a rash of last minute cancellations and sometimes no shows.

Touring is not easy, driving in the winter is challenging. I have had my share of challenges with winter weather this year (gawd. have I ever!) but I always make it to where I'm going and I'm (almost..sorry Timmins!) always on time.

It's endlessly frustrating to drive for hours through dangerous conditions only to have your appointments cancel on you at the last minute.

Is Ottawa more of a "book last minute" kind of city? Should I show up anyways, despite cancellations... and just be more willing to accept short notice bookings (with a reference, of course)? I post here and on the other ontario boards, but I don't like backpage ... should I give it a try? I should probably add that I'm not in Pembroke as advertised, nor am I headed to Ottawa as planned tomorrow. I just came home.

As Ottawa veterans I'm asking for your advice... both ladies and gents. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading :)

• Like 1

I used to live in Pembroke! I am amazed you could go there and make money, it seemed like a very depressed local economy after the loss of many local industries. Petawawa is booming by comparison with the army base.

Ottawa (I have kin there) seems more like a massage parlor type town and there is fierce competition just across the river.

• Like 1

One thing that I find very helpful in deciding who I am going to see here in Ottawa is the Chatroom. Pop in, say hi, chat a bit. If you are here and someone cancells there are some of us that chat there and some of us do last minute bookings using it as a point of contact.

Slammer

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 2

I would have to agree with Cinelli, Pembroke is a small town..

There is a few manufacturing companies there, but the pulp/paper industry seems to always on strike!!!

It survives mostly due to CFB Petawawa IMO.

As for Ottawa, I am a little perplexed why you are having issues, perhaps other CERBies may have recommendations.

P.S. not quite sure what fierce competition is happening across the river !?! other than SClubs..

D.

• Like 1

I think it is due to those pics you have in a Leaf's sweater!

Seriously though, Ottawa has this reputation so it is not something you are doing. From what I have heard, many Ottawa hobbyists double & triple book with providers and then choose at the last minute. It gives the city a 'reputation'. I'm sure other touring providers can offer their experiences.

• Like 1

I should clarify ... I advertise and stay in Petawawa not Pembroke ... I thought they were so close that people thought of them as similar / same. Mistake #1 :)

see I'm already learning!

I should clarify ... I advertise and stay in Petawawa not Pembroke ... I thought they were so close that people thought of them as similar / same. Mistake #1 :)

see I'm already learning!

No biggy really... I think most would agree that Pembroke and Petawawa are tied at the hip... just like Ottawa/Gatineau (Hull).

• Like 1

Pembroke used to have a lot of industries, Superior Electric, Steel Equipment, Eddy Match, the cardboard plant, two lumber mills, all those are gone. The downtown is like a ghetto. Even the Pembroke police department went bust and had to be taken over by the OPP.

The Travelodge is a big place, no problem hiding there.

Brandon has a large military population but there are many excellent hotels to use. I have just never seen any in Petawawa. There's quite a few abandoned ones along the old Highway 17 between Pembroke and Petawawa. Kind of sad really.

Oh yeah, Pembroke vs Petawawa is a real sticky issue with the locals.

• Like 1

I for one would not see a provider in my back yard (Pembroke area). Like Silverado said, it's hard to hide, but I would have thought that the Base would be good for you when you are in Petawawa, you may need to accept guest with shorter notice in smaller centres.

Additional Comments:

Pembroke used to have a lot of industries, Superior Electric, Steel Equipment, Eddy Match, the cardboard plant, two lumber mills, all those are gone. The downtown is like a ghetto. Even the Pembroke police department went bust and had to be taken over by the OPP.

The Travelodge is a big place, no problem hiding there.

Brandon has a large military population but there are many excellent hotels to use. I have just never seen any in Petawawa. There's quite a few abandoned ones along the old Highway 17 between Pembroke and Petawawa. Kind of sad really.

Oh yeah, Pembroke vs Petawawa is a real sticky issue with the locals.

Petawawa has the new Quality Inn that opened a few years ago and yes don't ever refer Pembroke and Petawawa as the same place

• Like 1

It's entirely possible that I'm just not the ideal provider for them .. I get that and am ok with that :) I'm mature and have an age limit of 30+ so I'm not everyone's perfect playmate.

I've met a few gents there but I also get than not everyone has a once-per-month hobby budget.

• Like 1

Petawawa has the new Quality Inn that opened a few years ago and yes don't ever refer Pembroke and Petawawa as the same place

Duly noted..... Thx

I for one would not see a provider in my back yard (Pembroke area). Like Silverado said, it's hard to hide, but I would have thought that the Base would be good for you when you are in Petawawa, you may need to accept guest with shorter notice in smaller centres.

Additional Comments:

ok ... so do Pembroke gents go to Petawawa to play? or is that still too close for comfort?

you guys are awesome you're really helping me out here :)

kisses n licks xoxo

Jessica,

I don't think your doing anything wrong, as all cities have their ups & downs.

I can suggest visiting the smaller markets less frequently (once every 3-4 months) and with Ottawa, start asking for a deposit for new guests - I found that has helped almost make the no shows disappear :)

Safe travels and best of luck

xoxo

Emily

• Like 6

Jessica,

I don't think your doing anything wrong, as all cities have their ups & downs.

I can suggest visiting the smaller markets less frequently (once every 3-4 months) and with Ottawa, start asking for a deposit for new guests - I found that has helped almost make the no shows disappear :)

Safe travels and best of luck

xoxo

Emily

eeek I've shied away from the deposit for so long.

.... but I'm also considering employing it for my western tour this year. I just love driving across the country for no showers. LoL ... good times :D

thanks sweetheart for your input xoxo

I don't get to ottawa often so I don't think I can help you on that count but I really don't see any problem with deposits for new clients.

• Like 1

I advertised for Pembroke a few times last year, as I was going there and had a hotel room already for personal reasons. Did not see any one, either time.

So I don't think it's just you. I was happy at least I was there for other reasons, so didn't waste my time. I've always been successful everywhere else, but won't bother advertising in Pembroke ever again.

• Like 1

Hi Jessica, probably nothing you're doing wrong either. I think Ottawa in away has this reputation of last minute cancelations, which i think is crazy. But for me, it all depends on my schedule and will only book if i know for sure, so that could mean same day or the next day but not a week in advance.

I know i would love to see you, you look incredible and was thinking about this weekend but it would have been hard, so i opted not too and I've missed your other postings too, but that's all me.

Like some have said, do take deposits if that helps.

...and lose the leafs jersey Hehe :p I'll get you one with a real team lol

Hopefully we'll see you back....i hope too.

• Like 1

I've heard through my experience on other boards that Ottawa is a pain in the toes city for cancellations.

My thoughts are not based on any real experience so I'm just guessing - but maybe clientelle behaviour is based on the job base: Gov't + High Tech + Service.

Maybe cancellations are due to lack of time opportunity where a worker gets called in at last minute meeting.

A sense of entitlement where a power worker feels s/he can call the timing shots with impunity. This happens all the time in the service industry.

Maybe service saturation - there's One Hellova' lot of SPs/MPs/MAs out there trying to grab attention for a limited # of clients.

• Like 1

Guest Ou**or**n

Ottawa has lost quite a few good providers who came her once and had similar issues and then never returned. I don't understand why but its a common lament. As a client I don't do this and most of the gents on this board would echo the same sentiments. Perhaps the deposit is an idea that's time has come. I rather pay a deposit and see a quality provider than have them skip Ottawa.

Perhaps the deposit is an idea that's time has come. I rather pay a deposit and see a quality provider than have them skip Ottawa.

It may help the providers out, but I can also see an increase in success rate for the current 'deposit scammers' occurring if the trend does move towards deposits.

• Like 1

Hi Jess,

Sorry to hear about this stuff. You certainly could do no wrong last I saw you, except in the best possible ways....

Too bad for the no show losers...their loss, really...

Hope it doesn't dissuade you from making a return trip in future.

xo

• Like 1

Well my guess is if your not having problems in other cities where you tour, your not doing anything wrong. As has already been suggested, maybe request a deposit prior to a tour to Ottawa/Pembroke. Some cities and towns for some reason???...seem to be famous, well infamous for no shows. If guys want ladies to continue to tour to their cities /towns they will do their part to make their city/town attractive to a lady to tour to.

No shows are unattractive to a lady, and a sure way to have a city/town put on a lady's no tour list.

And deposits, well really shouldn't be an issue. If a guy is truly serious about seeing a lady paying a deposit is just using some of the money he would use to pay the lady anyways and paying her ahead of time. It's not an extra charge. Me, when possible, I pay a lady in full ahead of the encounter, even ladies I have yet to meet in person

Anyhow a rambling

Good luck

RG

• Like 2

I'm not from the Pembroke/Petawawa area but I'm also not from Ottawa but I do play there. I do live over 1 hour away and every time I booked in Ottawa I always showed up. Your time and mine are very important and I don't want to waste it, if I book an appointment with anyone I keep it unless its an emergency(never happened). Rain or shine, storm or extreme cold I showed up and met wonderful ladies ,many were traveling.

I read many good things about you Jessica and you are on my TDL so I hope to see you soon, if its not in Ottawa it might have to be Montreal.

PS. I am early Saturday morning customer and I understand it would be a shame to get a lady up early on that day to get ready to see a client and he does not show up.

Hugs and kisses,

NJ

• Like 1