ISP other than rogers or Bell

I use Distributel, I inherited them after several companies bought up smaller ISP's including the one I originally used. Their tech support is pretty good, and very responsive. The downside is, that no matter who you use you are running on a bigger provider's infrastructure. I have DSL so my internet runs on my phone lines, and Bell has been responsible for some outages I experienced.

It is unavoidable unfortunately.

Here's a list of Full Service Providers, no not that type of provider LOL

http://www.webruler.com/mark/computer/ip-prov.htm

I know I'm going to be with Cogeco in less than a week now don't know if they are available in Ottawa

My ISP where I live is a company around London, Ont, Start Communications (btw I don't live near London)...they just offer conventional internet no wireless. They are fine, except now the modem occasionally shuts down. I'm switching to Cogeco though, they are cheaper

RG

• Like 1

I know I'm going to be with Cogeco in less than a week now don't know if they are available in Ottawa

My ISP where I live is a company around London, Ont, Start Communications (btw I don't live near London)...they just offer conventional internet no wireless. They are fine, except now the modem occasionally shuts down. I'm switching to Cogeco though, they are cheaper

RG

Cogeco is not in Ottawa, but good list of providers.

Guest S*rca****sid

RG

That list is obviously out of date. There is no such provider as "Sympatico" as it is now simply referred to as Bell. It's been probably 6 or 8 years since bell used the sympatico name. And there are a few providers not listed.

Check out TekSavvy. You can choose either Cable or DSL service.

I will second TekSavvy... Smaller company, good support and they are constantly fighting for maintaining net neturality and keeping the big guys (who they rent some of their infrastructure from) in check.

They may never be first movers with technology but seems to find the right mix.

I am not too familiar with the background situation. But, there's a piece of news lately in regards to the court ordering Teksavvy to release 2000 customers' names and addresses for allegedly downloading movies and stuff. Of course, if you are like most of us who do not dl anything illegal, you'd have nothing to worry about.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...e_sharing.html

Guest S*rca****sid
I am not too familiar with the background situation. But, there's a piece of news lately in regards to the court ordering Teksavvy to release 2000 customers' names and addresses for allegedly downloading movies and stuff. Of course, if you are like most of us who do not dl anything illegal, you'd have nothing to worry about.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014...e_sharing.html

It is the exact same situation with the any other provider, including the Big Three (Bell, Rogers, and Telus). The only reason it made news, was because the majority of downloaders from that particular site that was shutdown by the U.S. government were TekSavvy subscribers.

What wasn't reported were the minority who belonged to the other providers. Let's not forget that the media has an obligation to sell the news. That is how they make money.

I am not too familiar with the background situation. But, there's a piece of news lately in regards to the court ordering Teksavvy to release 2000 customers' names and addresses for allegedly downloading movies and stuff.

Hey, at least they made the court order it done. In many cases courts don't to this because the ISP rolls over as soon as the music/movie industry wants to go after their customers.

• Like 1

As mentioned above there are a few options for internet other than Bell / Rogers.

If you are avoiding Bell and choosing you drop your home phone as well, you would be better suited to a company that offers 3rd party Cable internet. Most DSL providers are going to be forced to charge you 7+ dollars additional a month on top of the service fee for DSL without an active landline. In my case bell wouldn't even allow a "dry-loop" service at my home.

I am a teksavvy user but I am currently considering my switch to a new provider called "vmedia", as they offer service with unlimited usage via cable for about 5 dollars cheaper than teksavvy for the similar service. They also have a tv via internet service that looks very interesting.

Just an option

Kelly xoxo

• Like 2

I was with Distributel, but switched to TekSavvy for cable internet. They offer a 300M plan with unlimited downloading between 2am-8am, my bill(with their voip) is $56/month. I have my torrent client scheduled to do all downloading at night, and I never hit my cap. Very happy with their tech support and customer service too. Their mgmt even responds directly to forum posts about problems on dsl reports (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy). Very happy with them (not that there were any real problems with Distributel either, I've been off of the big 2 directly for about 6 years)

Been with Teksavvy for several years. Little company located in Chatham, On. Chatham is basically a small town surrounded by corn fields. If you like to live in an area with a whole lot of nothing, Chatham is the place to be. Rather a nice spot if you ask me (but I like corn). It's very flat & must be brutal in Winter.

Anyway, I really like their service and the cost is quite reasonable. I'm paying about 28/mo (with tax) for DSL. It's not unlimited download, but it's adequate for my family needs.

In the past, their T. support was a little spotty. You were likely to be on "hold" for quite awhile depending on the time of day. Lately, response has been pretty good. They obviously hired more people.

Very friendly staff - I actually had one very nice tech support fellow invite me to drop by his place to meet he & the wife if I were ever in the neighbourhood. And, no - it's not as Freddy Kruger as it might sound. That's just wonderfully small-town nice. We both connected in a friendly way & we had a good chuckle over my general, technical stupidity. I'm from a small Southern On town too, so I appreciated the invitation gesture.

Oops, I'm rambling and digging the hole deeper. My dog is keeping me up - it's 1:42am.:icon_eek:

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Here's another resource that could help with anyone's search for a provider. You can search by city (you'll be surprised how many there are) and filter the list based on features, payment methods, etc. Also, there are customer ratings and reviews (mostly bitching lol) you can read. Not a definitive source, but possibly some helpful insight.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/index.php