Petition re: the Nordic Model

Dumb question, do you need to give your real name and address in this petition. If board handle is OK I'll have something...but a bit later today after new internet installed

RG

• Like 1

Dumb question, do you need to give your real name and address in this petition. If board handle is OK I'll have something...but a bit later today after new internet installed

RG

I was wondering the same thing...

I am not sure, I have done other petitions from change.org, and it has my name and addy on it already. I didn't mind, but ya try to see if a fake name works?

If it was Joe Smith it might pass, but roamingguy obviously not a real name LOL

RG

Guest Ou**or**n
If it was Joe Smith it might pass, but roamingguy obviously not a real name

I believe the idea behind petitions is that you use your real name and address. Otherwise petition makers could just use a computer program to generate random names and addresses which of course would make the petition meaningless. I don't know if there is anyway to stop someone from using a fake name but it does undermine the legitimacy of the petition.

If you are hesitant is it because you do not trust the hoster of the petition - change.org with this information or are you concerned about the government ultimately having your real name, address and support for decriminalization? If your concerns are about change.org you could do research as to their history of keep petition information secure.

I believe the idea behind petitions is that you use your real name and address. Otherwise petition makers could just use a computer program to generate random names and addresses which of course would make the petition meaningless. I don't know if there is anyway to stop someone from using a fake name but it does undermine the legitimacy of the petition.

If you are hesitant is it because you do not trust the hoster of the petition - change.org with this information or are you concerned about the government ultimately having your real name, address and support for decriminalization? If your concerns are about change.org you could do research as to their history of keep petition information secure.

My concern is not about change.org, but our government, a much different story.

RG

My concern is not about change.org, but our government, a much different story.

RG

However, just because you do not agree with the Nordic model doesn't make you a hobbyist per say. Just a concerned citizen for human rights in general.

• Like 2

I've signed and shared it on both my personal and MsManda accounts :) I didn't give more than my aliases and street name vs whole address, and still was able to sign with no issues

• Like 1

Done! Only 300+ signatures? Come on people... sign and be counted - it only takes a minute!

• Like 1

i've seen Emily Rushton, and Meghan Mcleod sign up in their sp names. I don't think it is a problem. The form requires an address and email address, and I don't think it will accept multiple submissions from the same email, address, and/or IPs, but otherwise I don't see any reason you can't just say R. Guy for your first and last names lol

• Like 1

The only way a petition is effective is if people use their real names. Allowing pseudonyms etc decreases the validity by allowing for shenanigans. So you can sign it using your handle from here, but expect that anyone who wants to attack the validity of the petition to point out that respondents didn't identify themselves.

• Like 4

I signed with my own name, as I did another petition for another cause in the past, for me, I decided to go by my real name hoping it will carry more weight.

NOT trying to say that you have to, this is MY choice. As I am out, and paying taxes, cpp and other investments....

NOTE: IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR REAL NAME and email that is linked to FB, MAKE SURE YOU UNCLICK TO YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!!

I noticed that option at the end, glad I did or would show on my Facebook page as well!

• Like 3

Guest Miss Jane TG

With all respect, if people are going to sign without real names, then this just could be as any fake petition in a third world country and would ultimately have zero validity.

Any group could generate fake petitions if this loophole is allowed in the system and the real value of petitions would be degraded.

Using you real name only makes sense, as if the use a pseudonym it undermines the intent and effectiveness of the of the petition. If it were one to parliament, not just the minister there are very clear rules about the requirement of using your real name. There was a concern expressed about whether to be worried about change.org or the government, but I would guess it's not so much about the government but a particular political party. I would think that if delivered to the justice minister he has a duty of confidentiality, and this sort of information would not be used for political benefit by targeting individuals who have signed.

• Like 4

Sorry got being stupid but what does that mean?

When you are filling out your information, below it gives you the choice to have your name show up (you can see other names show up below that box) or not show up by clicking it off or on.

• Like 2

Signed it with my real name this morning! Saw Emily Rushton too.

I hope it gets more vote though, we're still far. =(

I thought about it overnight, I contacted change.org asked them to delete my RG signature on the petition and I'm going to re-sign under my real name.

Waiting to hear back and hopefully I can re-sign under my real name

RG

UPDATE

Well tried contacting by replying to the email sent to me yesterday, but it's an automatic email, and my reply bounced back

soooo

There is an IM contact form I stumbled across on the site which I used, but alas, it bounced back too

but I persevered

and

there is in the help centre a form used to contact them so I filled it out...so far no bounce back, keeping my fingers crossed

Edited by r__m__g_uy
UPDATING
  • Like 3