Just a 1 line rant....... I need to vent.

I'll give you that Megan.. although all my tablet / phone applications are Android.

I can assure you that Win 8 on a laptop is sheer frustration..!!

Give me back Win XP or 7.!!

I need more wine... ;-)

D.

Guest Ou**or**n

Windows 8.1 with the Start8 utility to give a properly functioning start button is perfectly usable way to move to Windows 8 without any of the 'Metro' crap. That utility allows you disable the 'charms' and hide the Metro apps on the start menu.

The result is your familiar desktop and start menu along with speed improvements of Windows 8.

If you're buying a new computer and you're forced to go Windows 8 then I'd highly suggest making sure it's 8.1 and using this approach. The Start8 utility can be found here - http://www.stardock.com/products/start8 Easily the best 5 bucks I ever spent.

It's take a while, but now that I've learned how to take advantage of the system I wouldn't want to go back. Both my laptop and Surface Pro are touch so that may be why I have taken to it. For the legacy software the classic desktop is just a tap away.

The technology will continue to advance, so it only makes to stay current, as illustrated by the announcement that XP support is discontinued.

If you are not happy with Windows 8 you might not want to try Windows 8.1. It is not much better. Keep in mind that it was intended for use on tablets & touch screens and not for PC's.

With Microsoft's track record it appears that every other OS (Operating System) is a success. For example:

• Windows 3.x - Good (8+/10)
  • Windows NT 3.x - Business Fail (3/10)
  • Windows 95 - Fail (5/10)
  • Windows NT 4.0 - Business Good (8/10)
  • Windows 98 - Pass (6+/10)
  • Windows ME - Major Fail (1/10)
  • Windows 2000 - Good (9/10)
  • Windows XP (Service Pack 2) - Business Good / Consumer Good (8+/10)
  • Windows Vista - Business Fail / Consumer Pass (5/10)
  • Windows 7 - Good
  • Windows 8 & 8.1 - ???

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-best-and-worst-windows-versions-ever/231

• Like 1

I don't like Windows 8 either.

I have taken a liking to Windows 8.1 - a free upgrade.

Don't write Windows 8.x off too quickly, extrapolating Jafo's list above:

- Windows XP original - fail

- Windows XP SP1 - fail

- Windows XP SP3 - loved by all until Windows 7 came out

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input..

Glad to hear that I am not the only with Win8 nausea....

I did update to 8.1.. looks all the same to me..!?!

The 'Start button' at bottom left isn't at all like to former XP or 7.. just flips me to the Win8 sort-of desktop with apps blocks...

What gets me the most is the constant menus that slide in at any given moment from the right while trying to use the touch pad..

or you are randomly flipped to your desktop at any given moment again...

Drives me BERSERK...!!! MAke it stop..!!!

Ok ..I'm ok now... breath... breath.... LOL

D.

• Like 1

I must be old school, because I was perfectly content with Windows XP and HATE VISTA (which I currently have).

I guess when I upgrade, I'll find out about Windows WHATEVER...at that time.

Thanks Jafo..!

I did have a start button emulator prior to 8.1. It was OK but not more.

uninstalled it for upgrade to 8.1. I was under the impression MS had incorporated it for 8.1.. apparently not..

I started with your suggestion, so far so good.!

Cheers

• Like 1

Why are they getting rid of the support for the perfect Window XP Pro, I'm very content with it.

I do not want to get window 8 or 8.1, I guess I'll have to wait for window 9!

Why are they getting rid of the support for the perfect Window XP Pro, I'm very content with it.

I do not want to get window 8 or 8.1, I guess I'll have to wait for window 9!

How much are you willing to pay for XP support? Most want to pay nothing. It costs Microsoft a huge sum of money to keep XP on life support with no return on their investment. How many 13 year old products are there that the manufacturer still supports for free?

Don't hold out on upgrading as doing so could be costly if your system is later compromised - at least upgrade to Windows 7.

For those that already have Windows 8.1, here's some tips:

• Like 1

You're right Windows 8 is a mess, BUT, you can make it a bit better by adding "Classic Start Menu" it's free and works nice. Now you have the start button back. Window 8.1 was to fix this but I have heard it does not do it well.

Guest S*rca****sid

Mac software is now free for upgrading as long as it is supported on the hardware.

I really liked Windows 8 and was a a devout Windows user, but finally got sick of the OEMs who keep pumping out the same crap that never works. Finally defected to Apple and won't turn back. Hardware works as it should and software is simple and easy, and as fstop says, free now. Also has internal photo/video editing and an online beta which is fully compatible with Office. Never going back now!

P.S. I hate you Samsung....you and your shitty tech support!