new prostitution bill

Since the new laws were implemented, almost all of my new contacts have been from anonymous admirers. Aside from any obvious safety concerns, how motivating is that? hmmm - think I'll meet up with LEAFSNOW and wing whatever connection we might have! Yeesh.

Some have also suggested references from other providers, but in my experience, this can be dodgy too.

A thought is to team up or bring in (discreet) security. Has anyone had any success with this?

so, now that we have a new priminister (good riddance to Harper), any hope we will get new, more rationally / reality based laws regarding sex work?

What do you think?

so, now that we have a new priminister (good riddance to Harper), any hope we will get new, more rationally / reality based laws regarding sex work?

What do you think?

In debates with various members of the parties, when c36 came up the Liberals, NDP and Greens all committed to repealing the new laws.

Not sure how involved it is to do something to laws that were ramrodded thru the process, but maybe they can speed it thru the repeal process with the same fervour? In that most people are not being exposed to any of the new laws, but just the same original ones, i don't see any changes making a huge impact on this biz.

I would be skeptical of promises made by politicians who are not in power, I hope they follow through with their promise, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change their mind once they form the Government.

If they do, there are groups just chomping at the bit to launch a new constitutional challenge. I would hope that the new Liberal government does the right thing by either repealing C-36 outright, or at the very least refering the issue to the SCC. After all, why should we have to relive Bedford et.al for no reason, while in the meantime needless violence may be perpetrated on sex workers, and the lives of countless others are ruined? E.g. (I believe the original Bedford case took 7 years+ to wind its way through the courts).

• Like 3

It's too bad that when this new law was enacted, it was not during a minority government. I wonder if the votes in the house of commons would have been different.

We have a new government now, I would like to see the ladies launch a constitutional challenge soon. the law would fall real fas

A new government or in fact any particular government being in power has nothing at all to do with constitutional challenges. A challenge needs to work its way up through all of the court systems I believe. What a new government could do is refer the legislation to the Supreme Court for a ruling on its constitutionality, or change the legislation.

If there is ever a good opportunity to effect change it is now and making that happen does not fall solely on the ladies. Everyone can do their part if they choose to.

Rather than repeat myself I refer you to this thread, "Decriminalize Now - A Suggestion."

• Like 4

In the next two weeks the Inquiry into MMAW will be launched. One would expect that C-36 will be addressed during the inquiry and that recommendations will be made to amend/repeal. That is in keeping with the pledge to have policies and hence laws that are based upon evidence, not dogma.

• Like 4

My guess is that the new government will let a constitutional challenge go through. That way they can re-write the law to suit without taking the flak from the moral minority about overturning the old one.

Remember the PC party placed ads saying Trudeau wanted to put brothels in residential neighbourhoods. Trudeau will not want to give them the ammunition for the next election when he can simply say that he had to change the lad the SSZC said so.

In other words it will be a couple years before anything happens.

My guess is that the new government will let a constitutional challenge go through. That way they can re-write the law to suit without taking the flak from the moral minority about overturning the old one......

In other words it will be a couple years before anything happens.

You may be right but let's hope not ... it would be terrible if the government agreed that the law was wrong a they still waited for someone to stand up an challenge the law at considerable cost. I would like to hope that our elected leaders had more integrity then to do that.

interestingly enough, there has been a long history of the Liberals attempting to do harm reduction legislation in regards to sex work, and the Cons coming along as the next government and undoing it all before it can be put in place.

http://policyoptions.irpp.org/issues/november-2015/thirtyyearsoffailure/

• Like 2

With the new government, it's almost certain that there will be real progress for legislation related to sexual services and other religion-related social issues such as assisted suicide. Things should become a lot more relaxed in the next couple of years, I would say, and hope :)

• Like 1

The government is being forced to deal with Murdered and Missing aboriginal women. The protesters or supporters are trying to make a link between prostitution and these murdered women. What they refuse to acknowledge is that the majority of these women where murdered by someone they new. They deny the validity of the RCMP report and instead whant to hoist it as related to prostitution. Keep any eye on this issue also, it may sneak into the prostitution debate even if it has nothing to do with it.

The government is being forced to deal with Murdered and Missing aboriginal women. The protesters or supporters are trying to make a link between prostitution and these murdered women. What they refuse to acknowledge is that the majority of these women where murdered by someone they new. They deny the validity of the RCMP report and instead whant to hoist it as related to prostitution. Keep any eye on this issue also, it may sneak into the prostitution debate even if it has nothing to do with it.

They do try to link the two things, and in some cases they are correct. But at the heart of it all is that the criminalization around sex work, the laws that the SCC struck down and the Cons put back up, are linked to those women who were sex workers and are now missing or murdered. We know for a fact that more harm came to street workers because of the criminalization laws, and the NIMBY laws, and the John letter campaigns that started in the 80s.

• Like 1

I agree, if they want to make prostitution safer, legalize it -- in particular legalize brothels where the ladies an get security (and even unionize).

Guest ATasteOfEve

GOOD GOD! Why would we need a union when we can all have control over our own business and can make our own decisions? The only one we should have to answer to is Revenue Canada. We don't need a union telling us what to do....or a pimp or an "agency". The allure of this job is that it gives women the opportunity to survive in this world quite nicely on their own two feet (or on their backs).

For what it's worth...Eve xx

Guest ATasteOfEve

Lol! "IF" pimps still exist? Honey, they never left...They just call themselves "managers" and "agencies" and "boyfriends" Lol! Same shit, different pile. Btw, no one ever said Revenue Canada is pimping...although technically, we all *prostitute* for them;)

I agree, if they want to make prostitution safer, legalize it -- in particular legalize brothels where the ladies an get security (and even unionize).

There is a difference between legalization and decriminalization. Decriminalization is what we want... to have the same labour laws as any other form of labour. We already have laws on exploitation and human trafficking.

Legalization means imposing laws and regulations specific to our trade. It may sound like a good idea, but if you look at areas like Nevada where brothels are regulated, you see things like workers not being able to leave the brothel for a set amount of time, unless they are under surveillance (eg. someone is with them) for fear that they could engage in sex off-site and nullify the mandatory testing done at the brothel.

There are many reasons why people enter this industry; some people have criminal records (often prostitution charges) and regulating the industry means they might be barred from continuing to work legally, thus sending them further underground.

• Like 5

The Liberals said they will look at repealing C-36 from what I've read, anyway... does anyone have an idea on what their timeline is? I know they have other things on their plate at the moment, but my fear is another year may go by without any action on this front if we don't keep the issue in the spotlight and the pressure on...

From I have been reading I do not think the liberals will do anything unless forced too. I suspect that they are waiting for it to be taken to court by the service providers. http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/prostitution-laws-could-see-more-changes-under-liberals/ here is a link with the comments of the new justice minister.