Peak Beard!

Guest *Ste***cque**

It's official. The Globe and Mail recently wrote an article about the preponderance of men now wearing beards. Until I read that article I didn't really notice but it seems true, lately you can't swing a stick without hitting a guy with a beard. When did this happen? Is there some collective subconscious at work here? I was at a restaurant the other week and the waiter who seated me had a beard. The guys at tables to my right, left and behind me all had beards. I asked the waiter if this was the beard section? LOL

Last fall while away on a course I decided to cut out shaving as a time saver in the morning. When I returned to work a week later I decided I would keep the fledgling beard. I honestly didn't think about it other than I never grew a beard in the past and wanted to try it. Ever since growing my beard though I've noticed a bit more attention from the opposite sex. Plus, my wife said I look a tiny, tiny bit like a famous Hollywood actor. That's all the encouragement I needed. :) I will shave it off once I get bored with it and now that it seems everyone has one. Sooner if I see Justin Trudeau or Stephen Harper sporting beards although I can't picture Harper with a beard!

Did you grow a beard in the last year or so? If so, why? Notice any extra attention? What do the woman on here feel about all these guys with beards. Have you noticed more guys with beards lately?

Beards are definitely the prevalent style these days.

I go back and forth between being clean-shaven and sporting a closely trimmed beard, and have since university actually. Eventually I get bored of one look or the other.

Actually, I'm most likely to be clean-shaven if I'm booking an encounter soon, as am a somewhat eager fan of DATY and DATO and don't want to ruin the experience if a lady's skin is too sensitive for a beard.

I think how fashionable beards are goes in cycles. I suspect you'll find in a few years they won't be as common again. There's actually a theory about it called "negative frequency". The idea is that the opposite sex will often find appealing a trait that is less usual. So in the case of facial hair if everyone is clean-shaven, a person with a beard may actually garner more attention...which leads to more and more people having beards until it is actually the clean-shaven face that is rare and so stands out more and so is attractive.

I'm sure if you Google "negative frequency beards" you'll find a bunch of results if that's the type of thing you're curious about.

• Like 2

Very interesting...

Personnaly I prefer clean shaven men but I do love a man who wears a 2-3 days beard I think its very manly ;)...

I have complimented a gentleman where i used to work a few years back, he was an ex male model and very attractive man, he had a 2 day beard and was soooo attractive. I told him that I loved the look and he was suprised and flattered by my comment :)

Just this morning I had a client who was wearing a beard...you would think it would make someone look a little older lol...not this client...i guested his age at 30 ( to be polite coz i thought he was in his late 20s) but he was actually 43 :-o yeah...baby face ;)

All this to say that he looked absolutely gorgeous with his beard...so please gentlemen...wear the beard proudly and well trimmed...you wont get a complaint out of me :D

• Like 1

I have very sensitive skin and although a day or twos shadow looks really hot especially on a dark skinned man its an ouchy for me.

Beards AOK but if you want passionate loving and kissing freshly shaven or a nicely maintained beard makes your mileage go far.

• Like 2

Guest *l**e

I couldn't grow a good beard to save my life...lol

props to the men that can.

Well last winter I started a beard...forgot to shave for a few days, and it started coming in. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. So I sought the advice of a trusted friend. Scared her LOL by sending a face pic of me with the scruffy beard (enough hadn't come in yet to trim/shape, so I looked scruffy)

Well long and short, she prefers the clean shaven RG

Couple other people said I looked older with a beard...they thought the beard/moustache/soul patch looked good, but aged me

So I shaved it off

Probably would have had to shave it off anyway, it hadn't fully come in, wasn't soft, and I had two encounters coming up

A beard free rambling

RG

I do have a trimmed beard, have been sporting one the last year or two. I do like the look of it and the ladies don't seem to mind... I only trim it before a session but I keep it and doesn't seem to be an issue.

I don't like a full grown beard, don't think it looks good on me and I don't like it in general.

At least with the beard I don't have to shave everyday lol... Always find shaving a pain.

I do find more men having a 2- 3 day old beard, and will probably be a fad for a bit... Just like goatees... Lots of men had them and now don't see them as often.

I like fucking around with my facial hair.

I have a 'stache & goatee thing going, but if I feel like it, I let them grow until they get unruly. I trim the goatee to a point and then wax the ends of the moustache so I look like the inner devil that I am.:biggrin:

I couldn't grow a good beard to save my life...lol

props to the men that can.

Funny, when I was younger, my 20's-30s and 40's couldn't grow a good beard, hell not even a bad beard LOL. But it seems now (53), well it's like weeds growing on my face, comes in faster than I can shave them off LOL

RG

Well, my one weird super power is that I have the best beard growing ability of anyone I know. Guys I know have seriously told me they are envious of my ability for perfectly uniform facial hair without any of the patchiness or other drawbacks. I've been asked by a fair number men and women to kindly grow out my facial hair. As an average looking guy, my super beard gets a lot of attention.

Which is all fine and well, except I hate maintaining a beard and so I'm always clean shaven :p

Guest *Ste***cque**

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yeah, now that beards are popular I think I'm going to shave mine. I was getting bored with the look anyway. Funny though, I didn't think I was being influenced to grow one but subconsciously maybe I was picking up on all those beards out there.

Brad, thanks for the tip on negative frequency. I've never heard of it before but I have to say I instinctively resist following the crowd. So now I'm curious, does this negative frequency theory mean by doing the opposite of what most everyone else does I may become more attractive to the opposite sex because I'm rare? Come to think of it, there was a Seinfeld episode where George did the opposite of what people expected and it worked for him. :)

Maybe this going against the crowd or being rare is the secret to making us more appealing to the opposite sex? :) I don't see many men wearing top hats these days... hmmm.

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

Over the years I have worn beards of various configurations and styles just for a change. They aren't terribly practical for me being very much an outdoors activity guy who's into running, cycling etc as they are warm in the summer months and are often frozen up in the winter. I am older so my beard when grown is white but my hair is light brown with grey mixed in so comments vary based upon their preference. Some like me with a beard and some don't although it's immaculately trimmed. I guess I don't need anything that makes me look any older than I am. My friends say I look no more than 40 even though I am much older than that so it's clean shaved everywhere for me!! ;)

Additional Comments:

Yeah I get it. I usually mess up trimming my goatee and get irritated so I shave it off. I just do my own thing! Talking about facial hair: I find the big bushy eye brows quite interesting as well as the straight one eye brow across one's forehead!! LOL

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Yeah, now that beards are popular I think I'm going to shave mine. I was getting bored with the look anyway.

Maybe this going against the crowd or being rare is the secret to making us more appealing to the opposite sex? :) I don't see many men wearing top hats these days... hmmm.

Beards are lovely (for the most part, there are always exceptions). I have loved beards for man years now and I must say I am totally fine with the beard trend taking people by storm..I think its manly, I want to get my fingers tangled in a beard... Grow it out and wear it proudly men, I love you for it!!!

On Big Brother 16, one of the houseguests grew a Duck Dynasty type of beard before entering. Because he ended up being such a popular guy, there is supposed to be a twitter account called Fearthebeard (because they kept trying to get him evicted, and he kept winning the competitions he needed to to stay in the game hence Fear the Beard status lol)