Hardwood floor cleaning tips

There are many hardwood floor cleaners available, but a neutral CLEANSER (i.e., neither too low or too high a pH level) and water will do the job just as effectively. The hardwood floor must be properly sealed before any mopping. If there are worn patches, do not use water, as the liquid can penetrate the wood and cause warping.

Most hardwood floors are now finished using a surface finish called polyurethane. These floors look glossy and shiny. POLYURETHANE looks like a plastic coating over the wood and is extremely hard wearing. Another finish, called penetrating seals, consists of wax or oil finishes that penetrate the wood and protect from within.

You may wish to go that extra mile and finish off the mopping with a wax or polish. If you find that your clean hardwood floors still look dull, then buffing them with wax may help. It may take some extra elbow grease in order to clean hardwood floors in this way, but the end result will be worth it. Some people also use a floor polish to add a shine to the floors. If wax or polish is used regularly, there may be a problem with adhesion when it comes to recoating the hardwood floors.

All floors are susceptible to stains, whether they are hardwood or carpeted. A very fine steel WOOL can be used to remove a majority of the stains. A little alcohol can also be used to remove stains from clean hardwood floors. Finish off by polishing and buffing. If the stain remains, then sanding down the area may be the only option in order to remove it.

Depending on the amount of traffic in your house, you may only have to clean hardwood floors once a week. An extra precaution used in order to maintain clean hardwood floors may be to have people remove footwear when they enter the house. By doing this, you may limit the amount of heelmarks imprinted into the floors and the maintenance required in the future.

Found at any Home depot store...good stuff.

15964.021709008685_4.jpg

Additional Comments:

OR....

If the floor still has a varnished surface, mop it clean with a damp mop, then apply a mixture of 3 parts olive oil and one part lemon directly onto the floor. Use the damp mop to work the mixture into the wood.

This mixture works very well to season the wood, bringing out its warmth without causing damage. Both olive oil and lemon are tree products that will not damage your hardwood floors. After working the mixture into the hardwood floor, follow up with a dry towel to buff the floor to a shine.

How about a "home remedy"?

oh come on!!! that's too easy..

splooge all over the floor will bring back the shine.:handjob:

but seriously.. this cleaner has good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardwood-Floor-Cleaner-1-Gal/dp/B000ARPVIY

home remedy? borax is a good general cleaner..

here are some options including both borax and vinegar recipes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4906728_wood-floor-cleaner.html

Being an essentially lazy person, I can't beleive I am doing this!

I took a bit from all of the suggestions. I didn't feel like going out so I opted for the vinegar and hot water. Down on my knees, inch by inch, I am cleaning the floor with this concoction and must admit it is working pretty well! To finish it off, I put a bit of olive oil on a dry cloth and rubbed it in! Nice and clean and shiny! Now, if I could only get rid of the scratches as easily!

Thanks PP and Carrie!

Am I the only person who thought we were talking about something entirely different? Check the acronym reference if you're wondering what I'm talking about.

Meg - I'm getting this visual of you down on your hands and knees, working away at making those hardwood floors gleam!!

Pistol Pete - who would've thought you knew so much about hardwood!!

Hard wood

Two interesting words.

Jeeze Ange....thank you for making smart's remark clear to me! Didn't have the foggiest idea what the reference was...dumb blond!

Meg,

You can buy cleaning products specifically forumulated for hardwood floors at Barwood Flooring over at 10th Line and Innes. I had Mirage hardwood installed in my house and their products are great. It also comes with a special type mop with a cloth cover that you can clean in the washing machine. I've got dark hardwood floors and this product always makes it shine.

http://bing.search.sympatico.ca/?q=mirage%20floor%20cleaner&mkt=en-ca&setLang=en-CA

Meg,

You, down on your hands and knees. Quite the sight, would love to have had the rear view...mmmm wonderful

Murphy's Oil Soap, I use nothing else for cleaning them. If you want some shine, a good old fashioned floor polisher (two round brushes rotating with a handle...usually pink or blue or some 1950's colour) will work well. You can usually find one at a Thrift Store or garage sale...not sure if you can buy one new. Usually they're used with wax, but just on their own will work well.