How do you handle it when you have multiple ads on multiple sites, but someone sees your ad (not on here) and calls you on it several days after the ad was placed (and now since removed) asking for the rate that was advertised?

Would you:

1. allow them that rate?

2. tell them that rate was only for that day and the ad is no longer valid as the ad has been removed?

3. offer them a different rate from what you normally have?

4. tell them no?

Would be interested in hearing from others as to how they would handle this.

It seems that a half price reduction already wasn't good enough.

Ask yourself -do you really want this client? If so, tell him it's no longer available and if he wants to book he'll have to pay todays rate. If he wants the old rate he'll have to wait until it's offered again.

This happens often to me as well, when I advertise my 1/2 hour , because so many request it, most want it after I stop offering it, lol. Just the nature of the beast:)

• Like 5

Ask yourself -do you really want this client? If so, tell him it's no longer available and if he wants to book he'll have to pay todays rate. If he wants the old rate he'll have to wait until it's offered again.

This happens often to me as well, when I advertise my 1/2 , because so many request it, most want it after I stop offering it, lol. Just the nature of the beast:)

I wouldn't mind it so much, but when its been a few times that the same person has done this, it makes me wonder if they are just waiting until the 'deals' come and then they wait until after its over to ask for it.

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind it so much, but when its been a few times that the same person has done this, it makes me wonder if they are just waiting until the 'deals' come and then they wait until after its over to ask for it.

There appears to be some who just don't find something appealing until it is no longer available. I'd tell him to stop contacting you. If he hasn't booked yet I'd say he isn't going to.

• Like 3

There are a lot of guys who search using the word 'special' in my opinion. I have used the word in another context and they literally ask me what my specials are that day lol. Deal seekers and sale buyers are rarely good long time regulars. They will never start paying your regular rate. So why provide a discount rate that you had 'on sale' that one time. I get that he probably just got paid, and didn't have the $$ at that time of the ad, and saved the ad and the number, that's all great.

But the real question isn't any of the above, it is do you want a client who will never rebook unless you provide him the discount every time. Do you want that guy who once got that discount, next time calls and asks will you take $x, an amount lower than the former discounted rate. (answer, no you may not have a discount on an already discounted rate, wtf dude)

• Like 1

2. tell them that rate was only for that day and the ad is no longer valid as the ad has been removed?

Same as any other business.

I don't go into Walmart and demand their sale price on something from last week's flyer.

They would tell me to GTFO and you should too.

• Like 4

Miss Raven, I'll never suggest that I should influence how you conduct your business or the business model you use.

But as a general rule in the market...when something is offered at a 'discount' or sale price it de-values that for the normal market. I can understand the reasons for wanting to offer a special at a moment in time or on a particular site or in a particular city. But in doing so...you set the market price.

And the market/customers don't respond well when the market price varies. It leaves doubt. Which is never good.

My suggestion would be if you do offer a 'discount' be very clear on the limits. It's even better if the buyer understand the 'why' or circumstances. Then when they pay what they believe to be a higher price they can rationalize that.

IMHO...I wouldn't ever offer discounts. It distorts the customer and market.

Says the humble economist.

• Like 1

But as a general rule in the market...when something is offered at a 'discount' or sale price it de-values that for the normal market. I can understand the reasons for wanting to offer a special at a moment in time or on a particular site or in a particular city. But in doing so...you set the market price.

And the market/customers don't respond well when the market price varies. It leaves doubt. Which is never good.

When I offered this rate, it was due to relocation.

The new offer I have is due to a photoshoot that was just performed.

I did it to introduce those to me that had not seen me, and give someone a chance to see me before others see my pics.

I call it marketing, and in marketing, market prices vary. Usually for good reasons in this business.

I don't offer 'special rates' often, maybe once or perhaps twice in a year.

Now that I have invested a large sum into a professional photoshoot, and a completely separate location outside of my home in which to 'entertain', it will be a long time before I offer anything like this again.

There are many ladies on this site, and other sites, that offer 'specials' at certain times in their lives. For reasons unknown to me, perhaps they just feel like giving some gentlemen a break, they feel it may promote more interest in them, who knows, it is only for their own reasons that they do this.

An example is ladies that tour may have a different rate for travel destinations than they do in their home city.

Are we to tell them they should have the same rate as other ladies that reside in that particular city they just happen to be visiting? Probably not. And why shouldn't we do this? Because those ladies set their rates as to what they feel they are worth in this market! A perfectly acceptable thing to do.

I know my reasons for doing this, and it is for marketing myself.

This is a business in which we ladies market the companionship and/or entertainment that we provide.

Having intriguing ads, or things that bring attention to ourselves, is one way of marketing.

How I conduct my marketing is my business and one of the reasons that I am an independent is that the only person I have to answer to is me.

I set my rates, my hours, what I offer in companionship, who I choose to see and how I choose to advertise.

There will always be those that want 'a deal', and there are those of us that will having a lower or higher rate than some.

It is not up to the 'normal market' to dictate how I do this.

Does this mean I shouldn't buy the tires for my car when they are on special at 'buy 3 get 4' rates like I just did?

Or are those tires going to be viewed in a 'de-valued' way by anyone else?

Or, do you personally purchase everything at the actual msrp (manufacturers suggested retail price) and refuse to accept the sale price at the cashier because your purchase at that lower rate you may seem to be setting a market trend?

Probably not, you probably think you got a great deal, particularly if you traveled any distance to get said item. And I don't believe for a minute that you would tell the store how to conduct their marketing that by having some item at a reduced rate would 'de-value' that in the 'normal market'.

• Like 1

From a client perspective, as long as the original ad is very clear of the timeframe for the discount (e.g "special discount today, March 31st only") then totally fine to honour the ad wording and not offer the discount on a different day. If the ad does not mention anything about timeframe then I would feel that the quoted rate does not have an expiry date, even if the ad is removed it will be cached from several "scraping" sites.

The way I see it, I don't go to the gas station and expect to pay yesterday's prices. Prices change for whatever reason. To me special mean, limited time only. If not, it's not realy a special.

• Like 2

Guest *ik****g

Rule # 1: The ladies are always right, respect them.

Rule # 2: Refer to rule # 1.

For this industry to be successful and safe, it can't be any other way. End of discussion.

As has been said already, it is important that you are clear about time frames when you advertise discounted rates. A "today only" special should be exactly that. There will still always be those who ask the next day (or the next week or next month) if the special pricing is still in effect, but in most cases they already know the answer. This is simply haggling in disguise as a query. Treat it as you would anyone who asks you to discount your rates.

As to the marketing ramifications of discounting, offering specials can be a good way for many types of businesses to mitigate the slower times. It can introduce new clients to your product and it can supplement the times that you have excess capacity. Too many promo's too often can have a devaluing effect, but occasional strategic ones can help build new business.

The seller is usually offering a trade off. Buy now when it may be less convenient for the buyer, and you will save. Consumers need to understand that if they wait until it is convenient for them and they (or someone else) would have purchased the product anyway, that there is no gain to the seller for offering the reduction.

The idea that offering an occasional special is inviting hagglers I believe is false. Someone who is inclined to haggle will do so no matter what your ad says.

Just be clear about what the special is and how long it lasts, and you can feel good sticking to your guns otherwise.

• Like 1