I gather it's good for stuff like electronics, but what about appliances?

For example, can you buy a refrigerator on-line, get it delivered & installed for less than the big box stores?

That is the reason why Future Shop closed their door, people are all buying online nowadays. It cost money to keep salespeople in a store and showroom merchandise.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how cost effective it is but I know my parents found a washer/dryer they liked, and while they actually went into the store to view it, they ordered online, arranged delivery and install and was a very good price.

While I love online shopping and finding a great price, for many things, especially big ticket items, I want to be able to feel it or open it or sit on it. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it's built well or comfortable. For me, nothing will replace being able to see it in person before you buy on certain items.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how cost effective it is but I know my parents found a washer/dryer they liked, and while they actually went into the store to view it, they ordered online, arranged delivery and install and was a very good price.

While I love online shopping and finding a great price, for many things, especially big ticket items, I want to be able to feel it or open it or sit on it. Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it's built well or comfortable. For me, nothing will replace being able to see it in person before you buy on certain items.

Looking at the product in-store & then buying online is called "showrooming". I think retail is taking this pretty seriously. The number of retail outlets is going to shrink because operators have to occupy & pay big bucks for space to display product. If nobody buys at the outlet, what's the point of maintaining a retail joint?

Unfortunate situation, because a lot of unique and useful products are on display at retail outlets. Stuff you wouldn't think about searching for on-line across different sites.

• Like 2

I know I tend to live in the past, but I not only like to see the merchandise in person, but I like to talk to a salesperson who knows the product well and can help me to figure out what best suits my needs. I will pay a premium (to a point) for this type of service but it is getting harder and harder to find. Even in many brick and mortar stores, trained salespeople are being replaced with minimum wage teenage "clerks" who know (and often care) very little about the products.

• Like 2

The reality in most retail operations now is that for major appliances you pick out what you want in the store and they then order it in so the online purchase and delivery is not that much different.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looking at the product in-store & then buying online is called "showrooming". I think retail is taking this pretty seriously. The number of retail outlets is going to shrink because operators have to occupy & pay big bucks for space to display product. If nobody buys at the outlet, what's the point of maintaining a retail joint?

Yep. If everyone does this then before long nobody will be doing it, because your local shop won't be there any more. We'll just have to read the reviews, order online and hope for the best.

And have fun returning it when it doesn't work... :)

• Like 2

As Ice4fun mentioned the trend now seems to be for some storefronts to host one of everything and then when you purchase they order it in. This means less inventory in the actual stores. I've heard of some looking to reduce store space but still maintain a store. Definitely a Changing face of retail

• Like 2

Guest Pa***e-******tty
I gather it's good for stuff like electronics, but what about appliances?

For example, can you buy a refrigerator on-line, get it delivered & installed for less than the big box stores?

I occasionally buy online, but selling online is my business!