10 men arrested in Winnipeg prostitution investigation

copied from another board:

CEU visited 22 SPs on the street, at body rub parlours and in hotel rooms to ensure that they weren't being exploited. They don't break down how many of those 22 fit into the three categories, but the most important thing to note is that none of them were deemed to be exploited against their will.

10 men were arrested for procuring services for money. Again, there's no breakdown on if they were caught on the street, at a body rub or in a hotel. But the fact that eight vehicles were seized tells me that at least 8/10 were at street level. That leaves two arrests where the scenarios are unidentified, but if I had to bet I would go with the assumption that those were also at street level but on foot and a vehicle wasn't used. I would be surprised if any arrests were made from men visiting incall locations or massage parlours. I think that bodes well for those of us who see SPs at these locations.

I think it's important to note though that they are definitely watching us. They're talking to hotel staff about what's going on at their premises. I'm sure some of them were already aware of what was happening in some of their rooms but now that CEU has put the heat on them they may be reluctant to rent rooms to women they suspect are SPs, although I'm not sure they can legally refuse rooms on suspicion. I also wonder how many SPs got scared out of the business after being interviewed by CEU.

copied from another board:

I think it's important to note though that they are definitely watching us. They're talking to hotel staff about what's going on at their premises. I'm sure some of them were already aware of what was happening in some of their rooms but now that CEU has put the heat on them they may be reluctant to rent rooms to women they suspect are SPs, although I'm not sure they can legally refuse rooms on suspicion..

I very much doubt a hotel establishment could refuse to rent a room on suspicion that a lady is a sex worker. They'd be setting themselves up for some problems of their own! lol. That begs the question 'what does a sex worker look like?' It's a whole other can of worms that they wouldn't dare open if the staff had any common sense. However, a bigger worry might be: Would hotel staff take it upon themselves to report activity they deem suspicious to LE for further investigation?

Thanks Meaghan. That makes sense that they were probably arrested from the street level.

It would be nice if the police provided more info on the arrests but maybe they want to be vague for a reason...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I very much doubt a hotel establishment could refuse to rent a room on suspicion that a lady is a sex worker. They'd be setting themselves up for some problems of their own! lol. That begs the question 'what does a sex worker look like?' It's a whole other can of worms that they wouldn't dare open if the staff had any common sense. However, a bigger worry might be: Would hotel staff take it upon themselves to report activity they deem suspicious to LE for further investigation?

Workers get kicked out of hotels all the time on suspicion. No actual proof sometimes.

Would hotel staff take it upon themselves to report activity they deem suspicious to LE for further investigation?

Knowingly renting rooms for that purpose would be equivalent to operating a bawdy house.

The hotel owner would be liable for prosecution and forfeiture of the hotel.

Posters who give out names of places could cause a lot of trouble.

Knowingly renting rooms for that purpose would be equivalent to operating a bawdy house.

Posters who give out names of places could cause a lot of trouble.

Sort of surprised this hasn't happened more often in regard to hotels. Doesn't seem to me it would be hard to figure out what was happening just by the volume of towel use alone. Hotels have never been my comfort zone and have rarely partaken in visiting any one using one.

Peace

MG

I wasn't referring to that. I simply meant that if a hotel rented a room to a sexworker unknowingly, and if security or staff noticed suspicious activity e.g. (heavy traffic coming and going from a particular room), they might report it to LE. That could spell trouble for both the lady and the hobbyists. In any case, it's always a good idea to stay vigilant.

Additional Comments:

Workers get kicked out of hotels all the time on suspicion. No actual proof sometimes.

Wow... that's surprising. I'd love to see them do it to someone who wasn't a sex worker, and have them sue the Hotel and the management!

I would think the only ones in a Hotel that would be suspicious would be the maids, if they noticed single men coming and going. Hopefully the girls treat their maids nice!

• Like 1

Thanks Meaghan. That makes sense that they were probably arrested from the street level.

It would be nice if the police provided more info on the arrests but maybe they want to be vague for a reason...

You're absolutely right. The police want to instill fear throughout this industry; they definitely to NOT want to own up to the fact that it's pretty safe as long as you avoid obviously high-profile stuff.

They go after underage providers and clients seeking them, anything involving trafficking, and the street workers. The reasons for the first two are obvious; the street workers and their clients get picked on because they're far and away the most visible facet of this industry, and therefore the people that the kind of people who write Outraged Letters To The Editor are actually aware of. That in turn creates a political necessity for the police to be seen to be addressing the problem so that the letter-writers will perhaps STFU for a week or two.

But if a bit of tactical ambiguity can be used to cast a chill everywhere, they'll do that. The thing is, that only works if we let it. We don't have to.