25 years ago in the clubs

I happened upon a newspaper from 1991. I find it interesting to see what the situation was in the clubs when many of todays dancers were not even born.

There are 5 ads from clubs, all of which advertise "feature" ladies, something very rare today.

Barbarella's Diamonds: now open Sundays, no cover charge Sat and Sundays. Feature Jazzlyn Starr. Friday hip of beef or fish & chips=$3.95. Daily specials Mon-Fri also $3.95 lunch and supper. Underground parking after 5pm=$2. 340 Queen St beside Dill Pickle.

The Den: 1757 Russell Rd, behind St Huberts on St. Laurent. Feature Flex Appeal. Pool tables, meal deals, satellite dish

The Silver Dollar: Feature Talona O'Ryan, pool tables & meal deals

Gypsy Rose: feature Nastiest Girls in Canada. Billiard sports bar. Now open 7 days a week. Cheapest booze in town. Ottawa's newest hot spot.

Ottawa's Hot Spots. Valentino's 844 Somerset and Pigale 99 Greber. Both clubs share feature-Angel Kelly and Porsche Lynn. (no Bare Fax)

Edited by 1963Kennedy
spelling
  • Like 5

Yes this brings back memories. I've been to all those clubs. Things were different back then. Seen many features in my time. Most of the girls could actually dance pretty well lol. These days some of them just walk around the stage. I would prefer to watch a talented dancer fully clothes then a naked dancer that only pranced around the stage. Back then it was more affordable. 5 dollar table dances. But there was not contact back then.

Don't forget Fanny's and Hubba Baba Centerfold lounge

Guest *****en***e

My colleagues and I enjoyed Fanny's on Bank street. Friday lunch buffet with a feature on stage and showcases. Too bad they had to relocate in the market area in the middle 90's. I believe the enforcement of a municipal by-law made them move away to York street. They closed definitively a couple of years later.

A few dancer names: Crista who later worked at Barefax as Hayley for quite a few years; Bobby whom I've seen dance on the Barefax stage in 2015; Kiev from Montreal who did not come back in area clubs after the move and broke my heart.

$5 table dances and $10 in a wide open CR where you could not touch. What a torture!

my fav clubs in 1991 were Fannys on Bank and Valentinos on Somerset..good times

other clubs around back then not yet mentioned were Cheeks on Bank in the Glebe and Lido in Hull on the strip

I spent a fair share of time at Gypsy Rose, particularly in the company of a beautiful redhead named Amber. I often wonder what happened to her.

I remember sliding into Pandora's Box in the early 70s and also Club 6xx (can't remember the last numbers of the address) on Somerset Street. Club 6xx was a dark dive with a small stage and kindling for furniture. Saw my first up close and personal show there where the young beautiful dancer left nothing to my equally young imagination. Funny how one remembers those experiences...

Anyone remember this club? It had a fire years back and made the news as a couple of girls who were sleeping there made it out alive - thank goodness.

We went there after stoking up on 10 cent beer a glass (a whole table's surface worth) at the Prescott Hotel.

Edited by Reddog01
Spelling

Guest st*****ens**ors

I remember a furtive visit to the Silver Dollar when I was 19. It was the first time I'd visited a club. My heart was hammering like a heavy metal bass drum!

Yes was 844 then Valentinos and then it burned to the ground. I remember a story in the paper that the feature attraction of the week lost all of her costumes in the fire.

• Like 1

Wow. That does bring back memories. I first came to Ottawa in 91 and the strip clubs were quite different from anything I had ever seen before. I was accustomed to the girls leaving the club between shows and seeing all these women in lingerie all over the club was quite something. They didn't have campaign rooms yet, so all the dancing was done out in the open.

Valentino's was the first club I ever went to...when I was 16. The high school dance was cancelled, and I had to take advantage of being out of the house. I'm of Asian decent, so I figured they wouldn't question my age too closely because it was in Chinatown. They didn't. The waitress told my bud and me our drinks were $7 (for both). We were so nervous, we each handed her $7 with shaking hands. Everyone must have known we were under age, because they treated us like cute curiosities. It was the first time I saw ����� that wasn't while changing diapers.

I remember seeing several Angel Kelly and Porsche Lynn duo shows. Wonderful stuff. My favourite, though, was Blondie Butler. Very entertaining performer who did her shows at The Silver Dollar and The Den.

Used to enjoy the feature dancers back in the day, I was taking a night course at Fanshawe college and used to stop in the peeler bar after. Don't know what it was about me but I more often than not got the feature dance. Also got a lot of Polaroids too. Lost them over the intervening years.

I am going back a bit further with this place. Anyone remember the Plaza, around the corner from the Regent theater?

It was downstairs and all the waiters wore tux's and looked like extras from the godfather.

They had tables but the stage had circular booths beside it and if you got a booth there was a good chance the ladies would use you as part of the show.

I am going back a bit further with this place. Anyone remember the Plaza, around the corner from the Regent theater?

It was downstairs and all the waiters wore tux's and looked like extras from the godfather.

They had tables but the stage had circular booths beside it and if you got a booth there was a good chance the ladies would use you as part of the show.

Fascinating bit of Ottawa nightlife history!

When was this?

My uncle would tell me stories about The Plaza. One night when he was there a dancers nipple pastie fell off during some energetic tassle twirling !!

That was a really big deal in the distant days lol

I have mentioned this before but does anyone remember The Red Den? It was in an old hotel around Besserer\Nicholas, where the Rideau Centre is now. Late 70's\very early 80's.

I have mentioned this before but does anyone remember The Red Den? It was in an old hotel around Besserer\Nicholas, where the Rideau Centre is now. Late 70's\very early 80's.

Have a vague recollection of hearing about this place on Nicholas.

At the time, it was said that many of the dancers were UofO students, but not sure how accurate that really was.

I was there in the 80s and it was a bit of a dump back then. Was it called the Albion?

In the 70s, I thought that the first strip club was Pandora's Box on Bank street.