Formal Appology to Everyone. I really screwed up.

I really screwed up.

I installed a new SPAM removing tool and antlerman had flagged a post earlier today as SPAM for me and I hit the SPAM REMOVAL button but instead of hitting it on the OFFENDING post I hit the one on antlermans reply post by mistake.

This caused the system to instantly remove all the spammers posts, it sends him a email and bans him.

So basically all 3000+ posts that antlerman had made here over the years were deleted in on click instantly.

I went to restore the DB from the backup file from last night and the backup file is not working (Says it has an error). I tried a number of backups until I found one that worked (From November 15th) so all posts, PM's, etc... from November 15th till today will most likely be gone for everyone. I could not exactly leave antlerman with ZERO posts as that would remove all the recommendations and help he has given to the community over the years so I went ahead and restored the site from the Nov 15th backup.

I also fixed the problem that was causing the backup system to have corrupt files. Usually if something like this happens I could simply backup from the night before as the server does daily backups but that unfortunately was not possible today.

Very sad... and I am very sorry.... it was a dumb mistake on my part and I hope no one lost any PM's or Posts that are you can't live without.

Another example as to why we need to proceed with the council. I am just making sill mistakes cause I am overworked.

you're only human, everybody makes mistakes. with all the work you do on the site how can cerbites not understand. you do great work and run a great community site for us, keep up the good work!!!!

• Like 1

MOD, 'takes a big person to fess up. I and other people may have lost some PMs since Nov 15th, but when everyone realizes what happened, the community will adapt and recover. Thanks for everything you do to keep us going!

Don't be so hard on yourself. It was an innocent mistake. CERB members pride themselves on being friendly and understanding; a real community. A community you built ;). We appreciate you and all the work you do. Now go have a beer!

you do alot for us here anyway... we are only human ... always wanted to go back in time anyways lol

Guest t******81

No worries Mod, mistake happens in life and for all your hard work you do on a daily basis to keep the site going we can only recognize all your effort!

Ouch.

I know the prickly feeling of panic all too well Mod. I think you recovered to the best of anyone's ability. Crap happens & life is a lesson in learning. Party on Dude!

thank you all and again I am sorry. I have a friend trying to help me find a way to pull out the missing posts and pm data from the backup I made before restoring the site from the 15th. if anyone knows mysql and vbul. really well and has a solution to do his please pm me.

:) Accident could be happen Mod. You are doing the all the best you could already. That's great and well done job. I guessed he understand it too

I admire and appreciate all of your hard work and your devotion to doing the best possible job you can! We're extremely fortunate to have this wonderful forum...you're a highly respected integral part...It's thanks to you in no small part that I come to this board knowing that I'll enjoy my time here.

These things happen, it's rough and stressful now but after a few months you would be trading this war story with other sys-admins with a rueful shake of your head over a beer.

As for Antlerman, a minute away from cerb is another minute well spent with his favourite Kleenex, have no fear of that!

Mod,

I truly appreciate the service you provide to this board and all it's members. I'd rather have the odd "hiccup" from someone who clearly cares about the community than put up with the BS that other forums have to deal with.

Truth be told, I think you set the bar a bit high. Don't sweat it...

• Like 1

I will be extra careful not to click that button in the wrong spot again!

I made this thread a mandatory read as I was getting all sorts of pm's asking what happened and this will just help stop that.

if your browser locks the rest of the site out on you et me know as some people have had that problem in the past with the mandatory read feature.

Guest jake_cdn

It takes a strong person to admit a mistake...but they do happen. Thanks for being so honest and forthright.

Guest jake_cdn

It takes a big person to admit a mistake openly...everyone makes them but not everyone acts as honestly and forthright as you have ... thanks for all the efforts

Guest S***e

Mod:

I've made much worse mistakes than this over the years. It was just that a mistake. Given your huge workload and responsibilities things are bound to happen. The Antman is one cool dude so I doubt if this has caused him any undue concern as his credibilty remains very much intact as does yours.

Best regards,

Spike

These things happen, and each and every one of us has had an "oh shit" moment. There is no way to prevent it. You do an exceptional job here and I see nothing to forgive. Thank you for all that you do...

cat

It's all good...shame we couldn't all just jump into the "DeLorean" when shit like this happens and make things all better again. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1