Hard drive died - thank god for raid!

Some of you may have noticed cerb down again today (That seams to be happening a lot lately) the hard drive on the main database server died and luckily this is a raid drive and the backup drive was fine.

The server was offline most of the day as we had to take the server offline completely, put in a new hard drive and mirror the good raid drive back onto a new drive. It took us hours just to figure out what was going on.

Anyway I learned some stuff today! Let me know if anyone notices anything missing or behaving wrong.

Wow I just realized how big Cerb is in my everday life. Oh for the Mod....I am finding the threads are loading a little slower, nothing that is too huge to worry about.

they are CRAWLING cause everyone is logging in now cause the site was offline. Too many DB connections all at once causes the server to turn into a snail

OMG total cerb withdrawal today...thank you MOD for fixing the prob!

Agree, it was brutal! Thanks for getting us back on line.

Remember MOD!

Keep the old one near the new one with a hammer next to it so that you can take out your anger on the old one!

Remember my theory on having a second cell phone!

You always need one that you can smash when you are frustrated.

Apex

Cerb withdrawal is a potentially very serious condition; its intensity is directly proportionate to the pleasure derived from cerb-related activities.;)

I can't win lately. The new drive died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man they don't make stuff to last!

Also someone was hacking at the site at the same time causing some DOS (Denial of service) and causing the server to run out of memory.

I banned a bunch of IP address's from china as they were logging in and posting shit loads of spam (Some of the spam circumvented the moderators queue so some sort of hacking was involved) I think I may have pissed them off by banning the root IP's.

Man I hate malicious hackers and spammers..... and hard drives!!

This is becoming a full time job just keeping the server running....

Funny I reported a spam message this afternoon, the thread and user is gone, and the site is very much quicker since this aft. I don't know if it had anything do with anything at all, but really like the speed now :)

I can't win lately. The new drive died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man they don't make stuff to last!

Also someone was hacking at the site at the same time causing some DOS (Denial of service) and causing the server to run out of memory.

I banned a bunch of IP address's from china as they were logging in and posting shit loads of spam (Some of the spam circumvented the moderators queue so some sort of hacking was involved) I think I may have pissed them off by banning the root IP's.

Man I hate malicious hackers and spammers..... and hard drives!!

This is becoming a full time job just keeping the server running....

OK I did not understand some of the above, But I don't like the spamers either, it takes away from my CERB time!

Can you bann all of China's IP address'?

That ill teach um!

You can actually. Most IP's are geo mapped so you can find out the region/country and ban them. Just locks out all the legit businessmen who travel.

But when you ban an IP address, that would only work if they have a static IP address, what if their IP's are dynamic and change every so often?

even dynamic (changing) ip's are in the same network (your internet service provider purchases chains and registers them as to where in the world they resolve to in the dns ... they are all geo mapped to country and even city.

you can ban entire chains or partial chains like

123.123.123.* would ban 123.123.123.1 right up to 123.123.123.250 (everything in between)

123.* would ban every ip starting with 123. so it's pretty powerful

if you have a dynamic ip of 123.123.123.12 and you log off and come back in with a new ip it would be something like 123.123.123.44 (only the last segment usually changes... sometimes the last 2segments but the first two sets would always be the same)