cameras at Barbarella's Diamonds Cabaret

Which it isn't. I was supplying a relevant and relative clause in lieu of pertinent info that I am unable to source.

I believe that all rooms in a strip club have cameras. If you go up stairs to the Gluepot their r 3 cameras and most restaurants have a minimum of 2 cameras. They are hidden. One on the cash , one in the main area.

• Like 1

Security cameras at Door and cash are expected and almost mandatory. That is a matter of safety for the club and the patrons.

The champagne rooms are a different story.

• Like 1

Pretty sure there aren't any cameras at the Fax champagne rooms, just go there.

• Like 2

Pretty sure there aren't any cameras at the Fax champagne rooms, just go there.

Their are two cameras in the champagne room in the fax look for a light bulb or a fire extinguisher light that doesn't look right.

Their is one in the den , one in the playmate, champagne rooms.

the cameras in the champagne room in the fax are harder to spot.

• Like 1

Their are two cameras in the champagne room in the fax look for a light bulb or a fire extinguisher light that doesn't look right.

Their is one in the den , one in the playmate, champagne rooms.

the cameras in the champagne room in the fax are harder to spot.

I was specifically looking for camera in the Champagne Room at Barefax last year and I couldn't see or find anything anywhere resembling even remotely a camera and I asked the dancer friend who was dancing for me to look for it and she couldn't either and told me there is none. She was a long time Barefax dancer. There may be camera(s) somewhere upstairs where CR booths are located but I very much doubt that there is any camera in the actual small Champagne room booths (numbered at more than a dozen and unlike Barbs CRs they are separated by full walls and are private) at Barefax.

• Like 1

I was specifically looking for camera in the Champagne Room at Barefax last year and I couldn't see or find anything anywhere resembling even remotely a camera and I asked the dancer friend who was dancing for me to look for it and she couldn't either and told me there is none. She was a long time Barefax dancer. There may be camera(s) somewhere upstairs where CR booths are located but I very much doubt that there is any camera in the actual small Champagne room booths (numbered at more than a dozen and unlike Barbs CRs they are separated by full walls and are private) at Barefax.

one is aimed at the old bar area and the other is the one at top of the stairs. I do not know if they function!!!

• Like 1

one is aimed at the old bar area and the other is the one at top of the stairs. I do not know if they function!!!

This is not same as having cameras in the Champagne Room(s) where at Barefax full walls separate them and each is private as opposed to Barbarellas where because of the open concept even one camera in the back room can take away the privacy.

• Like 1

I'm not the guy who pushes the limits in the back room. I'm the respectful one. I like to have a good time, but I don't go against club policy.

That said, I know some guys and gals do.

The owner has cameras in the champagne room to keep everyone safe, in theory, but I've been hearing some disturbing reports.

I love new technologies and the idea that I can watch my security camera feed from my phone is welcome news. However, it troubles me that the owner (or manager, or whoever has access) is able to view them from home and/or show the video to their friends.

You see, the video isn't just live. It is recorded for them to view. I'm sure it was intended to be used for safety, but I've had more than one person say that the owner has shown them past video of them ON HIS PHONE regarding some transgression in the champagne room that he wants explained. The angle of the cameras leaves much room for supposition on the part of management, and nothing at all in the way of evidence one way or the other. It could look way worse than it actually is. Of course, it could be exactly what it looks like, too. Still, these limited-line-of-sight videos are being used to punish the dancers.

I don't know about you, but I don't want there to be recorded video of me getting lap dances. Period. I don't care if it's legal, or within his rights to do so, or not.

I won't be returning as long as those cameras exist in the back. There are other clubs not too much further away that I also enjoy.

I have to agree with you Kilt Boy, that it is disrespectful of the clients and the dancers to be videotaping people in the champagne room. This can be used to blackmail people. For those who have seen the movie Snowden, will know that the CSE (Communication Security Establishment) and NSA (National Security Agency) have copies of those videos. Not only will they have these videos but others who can hack into the cloud can get the videos too and have that to blackmail people too. I cannot support a business that can possibly blackmail me so I probably will not be going back to Barbarella's

Additional Comments:

There have been instances where dancers have actually been in some distress in the back room, and having someone monitoring live would have been helpful. This isn't going on, to my knowledge.

The DJ has a pretty good field of view, but he isn't always watching nor always in the booth.

Is having no cameras at all better?

The other clubs do not have video cameras filming you in the champagne room and i doubt there has been problems in other clubs.

Additional Comments:

I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that the configuration of the CR booths at the 'Fax is not particularly good for this type of surveillance.

As far as the 'Mate is concerned, I can only conclude that many dancers (and patrons) are, to say the least, less than concerned about the possibilty of installed surveillance. Of course, this is not to say that the 'Mate CR is camera-free.

I have not seen cameras in the champagne rooms of Pigale. I am sure the dancers would have told me if there were.

• Like 1

Additional Comments:

I have not seen cameras in the champagne rooms of Pigale. I am sure the dancers would have told me if there were.

Yes there are cameras in the CR at pigales . One the ladies has told of a time just a few months back were a fellow decided to grab a hold of her and refused to let go . It was noticed on the monitor and he received the appropriate treatment ( a bloody beating and tossed out side door ) that such a fellow deserves from the security .

• Like 1

Additional Comments:

Yes there are cameras in the CR at pigales . One the ladies has told of a time just a few months back were a fellow decided to grab a hold of her and refused to let go . It was noticed on the monitor and he received the appropriate treatment ( a bloody beating and tossed out side door ) that such a fellow deserves from the security .

I did not realize they were filming everything. Are they in every booth? I will look for them next time.

• Like 1

Apparently someone on another board has claimed that customers are "boycotting" Barb's and this would appear to be true in a few cases as indicated by some of the posts in this thread.

Then there is a very strange reply (on the relevant thread at the "other board") suggesting that our friend KiltBoy had been seen to be causing a "problem" by selling his "wares" in the club and not giving Barb's a piece of the action.

Now I haven't been in to 340 recently, but whenever I saw KiltBoy at Barb's he never appeared to have a flea market table set up to do business, nor did he ever try to sell me anything. I mostly noticed him going to or coming out of the CR, which one would presume would meet with the approval of management.

Some of his posts would indicate that a dancer or two might have purchased a few of his "wares", but it's difficut to imagine this being especially disruptive.

Is management annoyed at his opinions regarding the main subject of this thread (i.e. cameras) ? Of course I'm not sure who is behind the post.

It's a bit difficult to know what to make of this but the reaction (against KiltBoy) seems to be a bit extreme, all things considered. Especially if KiltBoy is no longer frequenting the establishment.

• Like 3

<rant>

Sorry, this is over the line into "completely stupid" (not you, r__d, the situation).

KiltBoy is one of the most thoughtful, sensitive people on this site, and I'm very grateful to him for his contributions. If I were gay I'd positively have a crush on him! I've chatted with him a number of times, and frankly the clubs in Ottawa need more people like him. Period!

Yes, he did raise the issue of the cameras at Barbs, and I for one am very glad he did. A number of people, myself included, have chosen to not frequent that club due to our discomfort the fact of the video recording, and the uses that were being made of the recordings. Is it a "boycott"? That's in the terminology; if I frequent a restaurant because I like their pineapple and hot pepper pizza, is it a "boycott" if I quit going if they quit making the pizza? I liked Barbs, something happened, now I like it less. I hope club management soon decides to quit video recording in the CR, but that's not my decision.

Of course KiltBoy designs and sells merchandise to dancers...it's on his Lyla signature, for God's sake! His activities were never disruptive, and as far as I can see the dancers were quite grateful to him for solving a problem. And I can guarantee that he made good use of the CR, which is to the benefit of the dancers, and the club.

If someone wants to complain about KiltBoy, I'm an ardent supporter of free speech, and I support their right. But I don't respect their judgement, OR their motives, and I'm happy to say that I stand completely in KiltBoy's corner (just not too close to him...I don't want him getting the wrong idea.)

</rant>

• Like 3

Then there is a very strange reply (on the relevant thread at the "other board") suggesting that our friend KiltBoy had been seen to be causing a "problem" by selling his "wares" in the club and not giving Barb's a piece of the action.

Weird. No, I'd never heard anything from management and I might have sold a dozen wallets and tie-dyed ass cloths there. I enjoyed going, and the ladies seemed to enjoy my offerings. That was it. No noise, no problems, not a mention. Not to me, anyway.

Just setting things straight. I think my reputation speaks for itself. Thanks guys, for standing beside me.

EDIT: Okay, I read the post and it seems mostly to be about me not giving a cut to the house (veering away from the 'boycott' issue for some reason). If we're keeping count, I've done that many times over. I tip the girls well. I over-tip the servers. Maybe the owner or DJ wanted something? What is the going rate for graft? Anyway, I'm not going to let it ruin my day.

It's interesting to be specifically singled out in this way, though. Suspicious, almost. However, I will make a point of asking the managers at the other clubs I attend if they have any problems. I do enough business online that it wouldn't hurt. I offer it as a service to the "ready cash" club.

• Like 3

Weird. No, I'd never heard anything from management and I might have sold a dozen wallets and ass cloths there. I enjoyed going, and the ladies seemed to enjoy my offerings. That was it. No noise, no problems, not a mention. Not to me, anyway.

Just setting things straight. I think my reputation speaks for itself. Thanks guys, for standing beside me.

Perhaps I shouldn't have raised this whole thing and, as I noted in my post, I have no way of knowing who is behind the post on the (unmoderated) "other board" in question. But the tone of the post seems to suggest that it is someone associated with the club.

It just seemed silly, in any case.

• Like 4

I did not realize they were filming everything. Are they in every booth? I will look for them next time.

I can only speak of this one incident that was related to me . Looking into her eyes as she spoke I believe she was completely credible . As for myself I haven't been there in years , so take it as you will .

• Like 1

As a longtime customer I take everything I hear with a very large grain of salt, but last night I heard - from a reliable girl - about a recent, petty incident involving a member of the staff, not a dancer. Now the cameras have been there a long time, and I've gotten away with a lot of shit. But now I have confirmation that yep, someone seems to be obsessing over even the least little things these days.

• Like 2

the reason why they are videotaping, and have been doing so for a while, is so that if there is a disagreement between a customer and a dancer about how many songs were paid for and provided, the manager can play back the tape and determine who is correct, for example let's say I pay for 5 songs and she claims she did 10 songs and demands an extra $ 100 then I can go to the manager and ask him to play back the tape and count how many songs she did.

That's why I ask the girl to let me know when we reach 3 or 4 songs and stop there, then there is no dispute.

• Like 1

You know, the purpose you propose for their original installation may even be true. However, it is the security of that data and how it is being misused that is the problem. Previous posts have shown the abuses to which these data have been put.

If anyone has a positive story that they can relate about the cameras having been used in their favour, please speak up.

I know Jay (the bartender) was grateful to have access to the recorded video for evidence against the guy who stabbed him outside. I'm pretty sure he hates it when the owner calls him from home to tell him to move a mop and bucket that he sees in the way. Just a guess.

Still, those concrete examples are not about the cameras we're discussing: the ones in the CR. Has anyone used them in a way that worked out for them? I'm genuinely curious. We've been making guesses and talking shit about management. Are there ANY counters?

Still, those concrete examples are not about the cameras we're discussing: the ones in the CR. Has anyone used them in a way that worked out for them? I'm genuinely curious. We've been making guesses and talking shit about management. Are there ANY counters?

Regarding the cameras in the CR, my own guess is that their use as security aids or to settle disagreements has likely been quite limited, although there may have been some occasions when they were helpful. Only a guess, though.

Another possibility is that management sees them as a useful way of ensuring that the behaviour of dancers (and clubgoers) remains within the bounds of acceptability according to management's prescriptions, or at least that the threat of possible reprisal for transgressions may act to temper CR activity.

• Like 1

Possible positive uses of cameras at Barbarellas:

Hopeful in his post is quite correct. That is what I have heard from several girls how these cameras are used for at Barbarellas, that is to settle disputes. And yes this happens as I never forget I was charged $100 for 2 songs a few years ago (I wish I was aware of these cameras then). So if true then good to speak up as this is a positive use of cameras for sure. Also it is possible that some customers are or become aware of these cameras and may behave themselves as these cameras may act as deterrent whether intended or not (a very tiny minority who otherwise may misbehave) so this is another possible positive use of cameras. Also it may provide a sense of security (true or false not sure) for ladies who dance there. I am also guessing that the ladies can decline unrealistic demands (again by a very tiny minority) citing the cameras as the reason if they wish. Protection of ladies is first and foremost and if these cameras improve the protection level even by one bit then I am all for it.

I have also heard that ladies have been fired in this bar in the past for pushing the limits set by the bar. I suspect cameras may have played a role in this. I do not like the latter use at all That said however, several reliable dancers have told me (whom I know for long time and trust) that it is very unlikely that the owner would abuse the cameras and show the videos in public (the exact wording was he would never do that).

Barbarellas is a great bar (it was top second in recent popularity poll next to Pigale and first among Ottawa bars) mainly because they can attract great looking girls and its downtown location. It is of course your option and choice to exercise by all means but I personally will never boycott this bar because of cameras since if I do then I lose a lot on a lot of great dancers who only work at barbarellas. However, I am single (I fully understand married gents have to be more cautious).

• Like 1

let's stop bashing Barbarellas, note the LRT construction going on adjacent to this building and the fact that building is slated for demolition in less than 2 years, then Barbs will be gone and we will all miss it. The property is owned by Claridge the biggest home builder in Ottawa.

Accept Barbs for what it is, it is a straight dance club with pretty girls conveniently located in the downtown core of Ottawa, if you're looking for Extras and No Cameras, then go down to Toronto and Million Dollar, Locomotion, Cafe Atlantis and Midway will rock your world

• Like 1

Guest pagypie

i don't think you can easily dismiss this barbs was always a great place put people have a right to be concerned with bouncers walking around with lap dance videos on their cellphones.

even if the intention is safety it's still a bit worrying. there are unethical people out there.

Guest pagypie
You know this as a fact? If you have proof of this statement then please share your evidence.
pls read the first post of this thread