SP doing more, = tipping more

I've been seeing this one person regularly for a few times now and every time she has been providing more and more of a service each time. Unprompted by myself but gladly accepting.  Every time tip the same amount. 

Should I be tipping more or keep tipping the same and enjoy what ever is on the table?

Keep in mind she prefers seeing regulars than starting from scratch with a complete stranger. You can tip more if you want, but she quite likely appreciate the fact you want to see her again.

I agree. Maybe tip a bit more but it’s going unprompted and has happened a few times so just roll with it

The business transaction ends the moment the rate is agreed on and paid. From there if she gives you a bit more in term of service or time it's on her. Giving her a tip is good and you don't need to adjust each time. Again , she wants to keep you as a regular.

This is a tough one to form an opinion on. On one hand I'm with Green, in that I don't like the idea of setting the precedent of paying more for more, especially when it isn't discussed. Once you start offering more you're locked in. You've set the expectation with her that she can get more from you. 

On the other hand. You're getting more than you've bargained for. There's always that question of 'where will this go if I show my appreciation'. 

Personally, I've avoided doing that. I've only had one regular that really falls under that description and I've refrained from offering more than what was agreed upon. As Green says, once she's comfortable with you she'd rather see you, who she knows is safe, than a stranger. I like to think the 'more' you're describing is her way of thanking you for your patronage. 

• Like 1

I made the mistake of over tipping after what I would describe as extra extra extra.

The next few times she didn’t go as far, but was very good.

i adjusted my tip accordingly and she was upset. Nothing was said, but my service thereafter was extra, but nothing special.

if you like the MP, don’t make my mistake or it may cost you.

2 minutes ago, Deepthrower said:

I made the mistake of over tipping after what I would describe as extra extra extra.

The next few times she didn’t go as far, but was very good.

i adjusted my tip accordingly and she was upset. Nothing was said, but my service thereafter was extra, but nothing special.

if you like the MP, don’t make my mistake or it may cost you.

The best way to avoid this kind of misunderstanding is to talk about it and make clear what's part of the service, what's extra and agree on an all inclusive rate. That way, the tip doesn't feel like an adjustment and there no confusion.

As someone who has an established client base and rarely sees new clients, I will second the idea that being a consistent, bankable regular goes a long way. By bankable I mean that your timing is calendar consistent (every 1/2/3 weeks) and the envelope is consistent. The clients that get the extra sparkle are the ones that remember the little things like a little extra around the holidays or when they know I have some extra expenses on the table. I have a couple of clients that are frequent flyers and will offer to book flights on points for me or they are tradesmen who can spend an hour or two to lend a hand when I'm doing a little diy that needs a license. I have fired clients that I felt weren't appreciative of the extra efforts I make to give above and beyond value for dollar. If they can't be bothered to bring me a simple Christmas card or in some small way recognize that I always deliver more than is represented in the envelope then we are not a good match. 

I'm not big on gifts, I have everything I need materially so I prefer cash or gift cards which makes it easy and it doesn't have to be an expensive gesture to be worthy. Just being on the same page in appreciating what we both bring to the table is often enough to keep me invested in ensuring our time is always food for the soul...

• Like 2

I am with Cat.

A first encounter is intimidating for both! Each additional encounter gets better and therefore the service rendereded may seem better overtime! As long as we are compensated as per our advertised rates I am pretty sure we are all satisfied! Tips are always more than welcome tho!

Don't stress green, you sound like a great person  

Thanks Meg. This is all new to me and this MP I've been seeing (apologies for getting SP and MP mixed) for a few months and see her about once a month.

My biggest concern is to enjoy what I'm getting and for her to enjoy giving and getting compensated fairly.

Last thing I want is to be 'one of those client's'