Good morning everyone!

I was driving to work this morning and started thinking about something.

When I lived in Montreal, I belonged to a bartering network. Basically, people would log into the board and post a message with the skills/abilities they possessed and the kinds of services they were looking for. Individuals interested in setting up some form of exchange would then contact the other person and begin a discussion. So, for example, I would offer to do tax preparation, painting, small moving jobs, etc... and would contact people who offered plumbing, electrical, etc...

Now, before people get all riled up... I am NOT suggesting that this type of arrangement is for everyone, nor am I advocating that SPs/MPs should do this...

But I am wondering if there are any SPs/MPs that would find this sort of a thing useful... If so, a social group devoted to these kinds of discussions could be created.

Just wondering - likely a non-starter, but I am interested in the responses I'll get.

Again - pleas - this is by no means an effort to put pressure on anyone, nor is it intended to be disrespectful in any way.

What made me think of it was that I remember seeing a post by a provider in the winter offering a discount if someone could come do some shoveling after a big snowfall... and I wondered how that panned out.

I guess I have always believed that there are more currencies than cash...

Thoughts, anyone?

I personally find it's too complicated to have a client who is also your painter, tax filer, chauffeur, photographer, etc. I'd rather see client, get money, and then pay someone else. Much less risk for potential problems!

• Like 4

Guest S**a*Q

I think this can work.

You have something I want, I have something you want. This works fine for tangible items.

However, in a sense money is safer (Guaranteed would be a better term.) when it comes to services. I don't want to get screwed over though, nor do I want to have to deal with my real name and stuff. Not sure how you would ensure that no one loses out on this.

With money, you give me 250$ for my services, then in the long run, I give you 250$ for your services.

Thanks for the response Sara.

I think given that this is CERB, it would be a good home for this kind of thing. The SPs/MPs are quite well respected and have reputations that are solid. And in any arrangement, you'd have to receive your services before providing any. PERIOD.

I understand the money thing, but in my experience, barter can lead to much higher value for some. This is particularly the case when people have more time than money. For some people, giving up a half a day, for example, might be easier than coming up with $250... KWIM?

Bartering systems and network have been in place for a while and seem to work fine, up to a degree. I have read many good experiences. Remember, though, that we are now used to using dollars (i.e.cash) to do our goods and services exchanges. I could call that bartering for money, as we all have a common value set for said goods and services.

The thing, when bartering gods and services, the value becomes more subjective. Enter, then, the negotiating aspect (as was done when money wasnt widely used). And we are not used to it anymore. But i'm sure that bartering, in the general sense (and i dont mean for services offered through this board) could work in some instances, keeping in mind of course that bills still need to be paid is cash money.

Just my 2 cents ... And random thoughts

This concept has been tried in various forms, and with varying degrees of success. I think one of the main issues is the relative value of services/goods being exchanged, and making sure each party is satisfied at the end of it (sorry for the bad pun!).

In this environment, such an arrangement could also lead to the loss of anonymity, which I know a lot of us appreciate.

not sure if this scenario would work. For me, at my charge out rate it's about 3 hours to 1, which isn't a problem, but with my work if it's anything in depth inspection reports are taken out with identities and addresses. I wouldn't expect the ladies to be comfortable with this, but on the flip side my name and business is on the same report. in the end cash is usually king.

This concept has been tried in various forms, and with varying degrees of success. I think one of the main issues is the relative value of services/goods being exchanged, and making sure each party is satisfied at the end of it (sorry for the bad pun!).

In this environment, such an arrangement could also lead to the loss of anonymity, which I know a lot of us appreciate.

This is true, However, both people who voluntarily enter the barter process also happen to be cerb members would probly talk ahead of time on here and the anonymity would either be a given, or discussed first. Its not for everyone but both parties would be under the same understanding. Just because a mechanic fixes a SP's car, doesn't mean he needs to know the details of her life right.

I think that this would be fairly similar. You should take a look at Chanel Reigns site. On the My Chamber tab she has listed a variety of gifts she's looking for that she would accept in lieu of cash.

I live in a small town and we use to see the barter system all the time, now a days it is a lot hard to find. Is it a sign of the times, is it a yonger generation not understading the potential benifits of it, is it a legal issue, is it peoples lack of trust in one another, or some combination of it all who knows.

I remember seeing this winter that one of the ladies here required help, and after all was said and done a deal was made between her and the gentlemen involved both were happy with the arrangment. This will not always work in a communuity such as this where the ladies value their privacy and do not wish to devulge personal information for their own safety and we all understand that at some level.

Within a very limited range it might have some sort of sucess, but it will not replace money as a whole in a communuty such as this.

I agree with the barter system. I grew up on a farm in a small community and I have definetly seen some deals in my day. That said there are limited things I would barter for and there would have to be trust. I have a client I have been seeing for ages and in one session I had been talking about some minor house repairs I had been trying to tackle. He offered to help me with them and at in the end he has now pulled out the carpet in my house , repaired the hardwood and changed my taps! Would this have worked unless we both had trust for eachother? No. Would I do this again?

Possibly.

Posted via Mobile Device

I think I might be interested in perhaps beautiful shoes & handbags ...BUT , at the same time, I do this to survive financially, so I would still want money too....perhaps if I was a high volume sp that would work for me....

I have been contacted by a man to barter services for an Iphone ( hello ladies..I know many of you know what I mean) AND by a supposed photographer who offered his services for pro pics...which he indicated I desperately needed to make any money...lol....or even better a message like this:

I have a proposition for you...do you like liquor? If so let's chat! Let me know....:chug:

Like AS IF!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there is a definite level of trust that requires something like this, I also think if you were to attempt this sort of thing, the initial visit should be strictly CASH and then perhaps see from there.

I would only be willing to barter with tangible items, for example, you buy me a pair of $200 shoes and I'll give you a free session.

I did this once with a client and it was a great experience. He took me shopping, I picked out the shoes I wanted, he paid for them and then I fucked him wearing them. :)

• Like 2

I'm not saying it can't work, but there, imho, needs to be trust

What happens if a mechanic for example promises to fix your car in exchange for a couple hours of fun.

He fixes the car, has his fun, you drive the car, and its burning oil and rad overheating...what sort of warranty to you get

For me, paying cash to the ladies works for me

RG

I don't mind barter for some things. I would rather get to know the client first and then when I feel comfortable, then negotiate something that works for me. I don't like it when someone approaches me with something I don't really need (like booze).

Right now I have a bed frame and book case that need to be assembled, and I am considering doing a trade, but how do you put a $ value on that. If it takes an hour, I can't see the value of that being worth $230 which is what I charge. So, you see the difficulty in that?

I think if it was going to work, there has to be some kind of proper agreement. But the barter system in general has some serious advantages. Your dollar tommorow could be worth less.. but your service wont be and neither would his.

In a bad economy this could be a very good solution and it cuts alot of inflation out of the equation.

Here's something to think about.. an ounce of gold today will buy you the same thing it could 2000 years ago. But a dollar today comepared to 20 years ago.. not so much.. which is why..

Goods and physical things including service have true value.. Money can never be guaranteed in value.

**Just a side note to what angela just said.. you are correct.. that work may only be worth say 100 dollars.. then maybe he would go for a session and pay 130. .. You would probably benefit more because this is possibly a client that you would normally not see due to a financial situation.. You still end up ahead and get the work you needed done. **

• Like 1

One other great thing about bartering... the taxman generally doesn't get a cut :)

Yes, I suspect there's technically some rules about payment in kind or somesuch, but can't imagine they'd be worth the hassle of enforcing. I may be wrong, or course.

This is probably the biggest point. What guarantee would services exchanged have? Especially if the lady's lack of satisfaction comes after the exchange. Physical goods can be guaranteed (and can even have a tangible value attached to them), but services are another story altogether. I'd be inclined to think that bartering services for the privilege of an SPs time would get way too complicated way too quickly and would backfire more times than not.

I'm not saying it can't work, but there, imho, needs to be trust

What happens if a mechanic for example promises to fix your car in exchange for a couple hours of fun.

He fixes the car, has his fun, you drive the car, and its burning oil and rad overheating...what sort of warranty to you get

For me, paying cash to the ladies works for me

RG

Guest S**a*Q

What about the long term effects of the bartering system?

For example, if I see someone for a one time barter or trade, but he finds that my companionship is something that he wants on a regular basis or that he would recommend to a friend. I've just increased my clientele by one regular or one recommendation, and that is UBER important in this industry. :)

we barter all the time with our SO, it's called a honey do list or no nooky tonight