The Unhijackable Thread of Randomness

LIDAR making inroads across vehicle product lines

Pallab Chatterjee -March 10, 2014

Driver's safety and driver's assist technology is gaining a reliance on RADAR technology. While high performance and reliable, it comes with high cost. Component prices, placement issues in the vehicle, and power requirements have relegated these solutions to premium vehicles typically as options.

Optical technologies are far more cost effective, but have had some challenges working in the automotive application space. These challenges have now been fundamentally solved, and the use of LIDAR solutions is becoming rapidly adopted across product lines in vehicles. The fundamental core is a solid-state pulse laser diode, typically IR, and associated detector system that is used as a pair to determine distance.

The advantages of the LIDAR solution are the long lifetime of components (over 10 years in normal driving use), small size, low power, multiple decades of historic use model to validate the solution for reliability, and easy replacement of the module in the service/repair marketplace. The LIDAR market is being addressed by suppliers such as OSRAM, Maxim Integrated and others.

The integration of these solutions with advanced optics techniques also allows for higher area coverage with a reduced number of systems. As shown in the following figure a single LIDAR system located at the front or rear of the vehicle can cover an equivalent area as multiple single RADAR solutions.

Audi_lidar_range_fig.jpg

A single LIDAR system located at the front or rear of a vehicle can cover an equivalent area as multiple single RADAR solutions. (Courtesy of Audi)

The use of the LIDAR system is a key short-range technology for providing pedestrian avoidance, lane change, and auto-braking solutions. In Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) applications, the system is used for real time speed monitoring (as is well known for police speeding ticket applications) as well as automated/adaptive braking.

This new value proposition means small economy and entry-level cars can have the advanced safety features that will reduce accidents and insurance costs. Solutions are typically available in standardized and tested modules to simplify installation in the new vehicles.

At the front of the car, these are an "in grill" application. In the rear, they are generally installed as a trunk mount solution that is located above the license plate holder near the already existing lighting & wiring. These solutions are available now and are even making their way into motorcycles, and other as an add-on to RVs, boats and other consumer vehicles.

Here are some gifts that you won't want to give your partner because you'll be left alone, crying, and using the tears to masturbate with. And that hurts. Everywhere.

brief+jerky.PNG Nothing says, "I have a strong passion for you," like asking your boyfriend or girlfriend to get their privates smelling like hot, sweaty meat.

50c8d76c514ca716637b076e6b995e4a-12-valentines-day-gifts-to-ensure-youre-alone-forever.jpg0443646F.jpg Because being constrained in a t-shirt is the PERFECT way to make love!

fresh_balls_locion.jpgThis gift is basically saying, "Hey, your balls smell terrible." And your response can be, "Well, you shouldn't have bought me those beef jerky underwear."

Bull;s%20pie.jpg This pie, made with bull testicles, is suppose to be a male aphrodisiac. But here's a clue, ladies. You know what makes men aroused? Boobs. Butts. A female's presence. A female walking. A female sleeping. A female on a phone. ANYTHING ELSE BUT BULL BALLS.

http://www.break.com/article/13-valentines-gifts-that-lead-to-you-sleeping-alone-2415759

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

Somehow, one hour turns into 4 and one pitcher turns into 7. Must be new math.

Guest c**io**m7

44 Oreo cookies + 12 chocolate chip cookies + 1 glass of milk = 1 upset stomach.

Like my friend Al Paccino... aka El Padrino said...

Therr is three things you should know about me:

1. My circle is small

2. I am loyal to the end

3. NEVER FUCK ME OVER

;)

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

Why do people on the other board feel the need to PM me with details about their experiences with a specific provider? This is the second one in just a couple days...guys, I don't need to know and, frankly, I don't want to know. What may be pleasurable to read for one hobbyist may not be so enjoyable for another.

Guest c**io**m7

It is difficult to believe that it really doesn't fucking matter anymore but, it can be done.