Replying to a PM? - Where do you like to start?

Whenever I reply to a pm, I always like to place my reply at the very top. But some members put their replies at the bottom. I don't want to have to scan over what has already been written, I want to get to the reply right away. That is why starting at the top is the best.

Do you have a preference and why?

But some members put their replies at the bottom. I don't want to have to scan over what has already been written, I want to get to the reply right away. That is why starting at the top is the best.

Do you have a preference and why?

Personally, when responding to a pm I post my reply beneath the original, that way the back and forth reads a threaded conversation. (Ladies get many, many pm's daily and in order to keep track of the content of each pm, I need to be able to quickly scan the conversation.)

That's just my preference.

(Also when you hit reply, the window opens with the quoted pm on top so it's just simpler start typing underneath..)

:icon_wink: Kim

I reply at the bottom until the chain gets ridiculous and you start getting single letter sentences. At that point I just start a new PM.

I just delete the previous pm. I don't really need to see what's already been said. I like a fresh and clean slate :p

Posted via Mobile Device

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

A: Top-posting.

Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

I may top-post if it's a very quick PM exchange, but not that often.

And if you're having any kind of involved conversation, interleaving is the way to go (although I concede that's hard work with CERB's PM interface...)

Reply goes at the bottom, because that's where I am after I read the message.

If it gets to replying to a reply, I delete the older messages, and reply only to the most recent one if it looks like it might get messy.

Bottom, baby.

It takes all of two seconds to scan the previous message, or you know, read it, if you're the one replying.

I do it on the top but think I really should on the bottom.

Sometimes they get SO mixed up that you can miss important information (I have).

Deliberate threadjack... Dorinda on top or on the bottom... hmmmmm.... ;)

I do it on the top but think I really should on the bottom.

Multiple positions? Dorinda, I am liking you more and more.

• Like 1

Either way, top or bottom it really doesn't matter, sometimes you reply on top then get a return and it is on the bottom, oh well you just take the time to read it. Some simply reply without your message in tact, then you revert to your outbox to read what you sent days ago ;)

The big "omniprescence upstairs" gave us 2 ears and one mouth to work with down here. Having said that I try to listen to the ladies preferred method of contact. If PM is her preference, I enthusiatically respond. If however (& a lot of cases it is), PM is not the preferred contact venue (text, her own site, phone or whatever), I try to follow her wishes to the "T", (references, requested honest info, phone numbers as required).

Musings from a lazy guy.

G11

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

It doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but I find it more convenient to have the new material added at the top. That way I'm not forever paging down through the whole string of the previous conversation to get to where I can see what the current message is. The new message is always right there in front of my eyes, available to start reading immediately. Instant gratification!

I follow the same principle that I follow with emails - the immediate response goes on top, while the prior conversation gets stacked up below. I usually know exactly what I'm responding to, and what the previous email contained, but it's right there in case I need to refer to it while writing my reply.

If that's how gmail does it, who am I to argue? After all, Google didn't take over the world by lying around at the bottom... :tongue: