Identity, and Safety

Good thread Cato,

I cant tell you how many people have claimed to be "pistolpete" as well as other well respected members on this board via email, yet when you ask them to PM you they never do.

I only book through email, but do verify your board identity via pm, if your going to mislead me about something as small as your board handle what else are you hiding.

• Like 6

Agreed we can't be to careful and must be diligent with our checking.

There have been "gentlemen" that have used my name as a referance and I have never met these guys. I know this has happened to other ladies as well.

Lets work together to keep each other safe!

This is rather disturbing ! It is beyond me how the fellas that either book by using a false name or false reference think they are gonna get away with it. To some it is a game and to some they think they can get away with it. Either way .....idiots.

Due diligence ladies for sure !! IMO it will only get more frequent as the amount of hobbyists out there is greatly increasing as the SP/Companion/Hobbyist acceptance is growing and accepted as a pleasurable, fun and safe alternative to being alone, unhappy or sexless.

As Katherine said, everyone work together to keep everyone safe and for those fellas that can't follow protocol and are playing games......well suck it up princess, your gonna lose !! ;)

Wow - this is the 1st I've heard of this type of thing happening.

Thanks Cato for bringing this to our attention. I now have a better understanding about the reasons why some ladies ask for our Cerb handle when booking. Maybe the MPs should be doing the same thing?

Would it be better to book via PM?

Cato, went through the same thing back in 2009,for what ever reason it does happen. I think now over my time a good portion of the ladies do know me :) But ladies do need to ensure true identity and of course their safety.

Here is the thread back from 2009

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7919

My practice now, when making initial contact with a lady to arrange an encounter, is to send her an email with particulars (date, time contact phone, name etc), and confirm my handle through a pm (I now stay with the ladies from CERB), unless of course she has a preferred method of contact

And as for identity, I'm quite comfortable being roamingguy, I don't need to hide behind someone else's handle

As for safety, I'm pretty open about who I am, and provide verification information if requested. And always, always, I ask the lady I'm using for a reference if in fact she will provide me with a reference, and the name of the lady who will be contacting her. The ladies are the ones who have the most concerns safety wise, considering they are going to be alone (the first time) with a man they haven't met before

RG

Wow - this is the 1st I've heard of this type of thing happening.

Thanks Cato for bringing this to our attention. I now have a better understanding about the reasons why some ladies ask for our Cerb handle when booking. Maybe the MPs should be doing the same thing?

Would it be better to book via PM?

I actually saw it posted on another board just this week. The sp was asking how can she check that someone who claims to be an active board member actually was. The pm sent via the handle simply confirms whatever way he has contacted her, phone or email address. Very simple.

A heads up pm could also help, like Hi, I am going to be contacting you via phone# xxx-xxx-xxxx tomorrow, just so you know it really is me.

Guest ****ven

It's very frightening what some people will say to fake a reputation, it certainly makes me frightened to know the kind of person that they really are!

I make a habit of requiring individuals to first contact me via PM and then disclose my contact info if I am comfortable with the interaction we have through messaging.

You never know what kinda crazies there are.

This problem is still not resolved, but it's changed slightly.

If someone contacts you saying that I've endorsed them or that I can vouch for them, please be cautious.

I'm happy to reply to pm's about this if you have any questions.

Edited by Cato

I've had to post about this before

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79987

and I hate to have to do it again, but the problem has not gone away. The tactics have changed, that's all.

The same person (same phone number) who used to say he was me is now contacting sp's saying that he's Cato's room mate, or that Cato has recommended him.

I don't have a room mate.

Please, if you're contacted by someone who says I recommended him, be cautious.

OMG cato, this sucks! I really hope this childish game stops! Is there a way for MOD to investigate this person? It must be a bit spooky as to who would go to such extream to make your life uncomfortable like this! Dont worry, baby, I always will know if is you who is PMing me:)

It's shameful that someone is impersonating an upstanding member of this board.

Though it is amusing that some of these people are so dumb they think we don't share information. That's what this board is about.... DUH!

Hope this guy get's his just desserts!

Sorry to hear that this is happening. Good luck in shutting this guy down.

Don't let it get to you too much. I know easier said than done....All the best.

RD01

Is he contacting SPs through THIS venue or by phone or some other method? If through here the MOD might be able to help, if by phone things could get difficult, though the person in question must at least KNOW of you and your fine reputation through here. It truly IS a shame that people stoop this low, but for now I guess your warning is the best you can do. Hope all works out.

Thanks for these comments. The person is apparently using the phone to contact sp's and to try to make appointments, either saying he's me, or someone I've recommended.

It's been going on for a month now, or more. Time to stop and move on, whoever you are.

• Like 1

Maybe we should devise a passcode system?

So, if you pm an SP before a session & agree to a password, maybe that might work?

Have any of these ladies been able to grab the phone number being used? That might help locate the a**hole.

Best wishes as always.

Cato, I merged this (Does not need another thread) I am aware of this issue and if anyone has a PM/EMAIL from this person please contact me and I will try to BAN them from cerb. In the meantime it is NEVER a wise ides to accept someones word that they are a member of cerb. Make sure you PM them from cerb to confirm that they are who they say.

• Like 1

Thank you for this very important reminder, one which I will be enforcing with diligence. I also do ask for phone confirmation 1h pior to appt, but now you mention it, it is easy to be tricked as well. So now a confirmation will be done 2 times, one VIA PM and the other phone.

Mind you I always investigate your profile here upon inquiry as well.

I guess I'm RELATIVELY safe, since no one can pronounce my CERB handle, but if someone DOES try, definitely please PM for confirmation.

This has taken a new turn, with someone reposting word for word a couple of my reco's on another board, using the handle Cato_.

I was already a member there, as Cato, but I don't post often. I hadn't even logged on in a couple of months. I guess he figured he wouldn't be detected?

• Like 1

It's hard to believe that anyone faking their name, handle or recommendations would actually have any good intentions.

I do make it a habit to pm anyone that texts me, it's one of the reasons I don't accept phone calls, I want to know who they are.

If a prospective clients states recommendations from any of the ladies, I do ask them.