Why the fear of spas?

Since becoming an MA about six months ago, I've had at least a dozen potential clients contact me about an appointment, then refuse to see me because I'm in a spa. A few have said they 'don't like the spa atmosphere', they 'don't do spas', or they're 'not comfortable in a spa'.

Why is that? To be honest, when someone tells me they won't see me at a spa, it puts my radar up and makes me kind of scared. Makes me think I'd be unsafe seeing them, because if they won't see me at a place where other girls are working, why is that? WHat do they want to do to me? The spa atmosphere provides a level of safety to the girls that just doesn't exist in a private setting, which is why many of us choose to work in them.

So my question to you gents who won't come to a spa, is WHY? I'm sure you're not all out to scare me and hurt me, but when you'd rather not see a girl then see her in a spa, why is that?

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

Some may fear that the higher traffic in spas might lead to a less discreet situation for them. Also, their impression may be that they run a greater risk of being caught in a police raid at a spa than they would at a more private location.

Just some possibilites, based on things some of the gents have written here on Cerb over the past few years.

Something i have noticed myself, since i have frequented spas and indis, most indis have people attempt to haggle since there is no real "set" fee since you are independent and free to charge what you wish. As WIT said, some may fear the traffic of a spa, even if you prebook there is always the chance of someone popping by for a walk in while you wait for your apt (i know personally this has happened to me a few times and it is a bit awkward). Thats just my opinion, i prefer the spa atmosphere to a indi but again thats just me, and it helps that i found a gem that i most likely will repeat till she retires lol

Hate to say it but a lot of guys don't like to pay the door fee...usually $50-$60 more. Saying that it is hard to find an independent that uses a table.

Beside the good points that WIT makes, there are other reasons as well. Often the same reason that many guys want to see Indy SPs rather than an agency. You deal directly with the Provider and not an intermediary.

Since the MA doesn't necessarily do the booking they are often overbooked, or booked back to back with no time between appointments. That is not good for the MA nor the customer. I hate showing up to an appointment and have to wait because the MA was overbooked, and that has happened several times.

As for the point on the spa being safer, I don't necessarily agree. Depending on the spas, ladies often work alone so there is no real difference from being an indy. In my experience the spas don't exercise the same level of diligence in pre-screening clients that an indy would. Also many take walk-ins. Not only does that become a gamble for the MA, I am not particularly comfortable being in session in a spa when anyone can walk into the establishment.

That is not to say I don't go to spas, but it is not my preferred experience, and I have to take into account all those issues I mentioned.

Eek I can understand not liking it if someone else walked in while you were waiting, that's terrible and unprofessional of the place to let that happen! Myself and all of my coworkers always peek out to ensure the coast is clear before bringing a client through. There have been times when I'd have to ask my client to wait in the massage room for an extra moment or so, to allow the other girl to bring her client into the room, but the clients always appreciate it because we all know noone wants to run into someone in there!

I don't have much to add here - there is clearly a greater feeling of privacy when visiting an independent and some may be uncomfortable with the higher traffic (inside and out) at spas.

On the other hand (no pun intended!), once you get used to spas there are definite benefits. For example, the rooms at Paradise are outstanding while CMJ offers a very unique atmosphere that totally puts you in the mood - these are things you're unlikely to find with any independent.

Ultimately, though, it's who you want to see, not where you want to go. I've visited Jordyn at CMJ, Paradise and ALO, and would see her anywhere.

Guest S***dst***

I am not "Afriad" of spas but I do prefer indie's.

Imparticular any place that has a "door fee" and an in room fee. While there is nothing wrong with that system, mentally it feels like paying more...does that make sense? You aren't actually (paying more) but it can feel that way because you are paying twice in one visit. I like getting it all out of the way in one shot

Perhaps a personal preference and not shared by others but I'm sure atleast ONE other person out there feels that way :P

I'm sure there are also guys who are more afraid of being busted at spa's as they are publicly displayed and anyone can just walk in; we like to feel secure aswell.

The atmosphere of most spa's is generally that of a doctor's office or professional place of business similar to that. How sexy is it to walk into your doctors office? Not all are like this but to keep up public appearance lots are (until you get into the back/rooms)

Not all spas have shower facilities either. Being able to shower AFTER a massage is a big deal for some people.

Not to add any pressure or ruffle feathers but also with indies, if you have really good chemistry and you are both really into each other it's a lot easier to "add more mileage", as it were, than in a spa setting where (combined with the above mention of security) she can lose her job, you could get banned etc etc

I'm not saying that would be a deciding factor, as most guys aren't looking for that when visiting MA's, but I'm putting it out there also.

The back to back bookings REALLY suck the fun out of visiting a spa also.

The MA is unwilfully rushing to finish because she knows she has a client coming in immediately after you (literally leaving before you are dressed in some cases) This is my biggest pet peeve.

To me, the spa atmosphere feels less intimate because it's not the attendant/provider's personal space. The fantasy that you're spending some nice quality time with a ladyfriend is impossible because you have to go into this public building, talk to and pay a secretary/clerk-type person, and then sit in the waiting room for a minute or two, as opposed to just walking into the apartment/studio and having the one-on-one with the provider for 60+ minutes.

In addition, since you're booking time with the spa, and then arranging the details with the attendant/provider, there is room for miscommunication. One time I booked for an hour with the spa, but the attendant thought I had only booked for 45 minutes, so I ended up paying more than I should have. Lastly, from my experience, spa sessions end up costing a little bit more, which combined with the other less desirable features make me extremely reluctant to visit a spa again. There are more than a couple of spa attendants on cerb I would love to see if they were independent.

Some of this has already been said. Spas are public places, and the fear of being seen by someone you know is always there. Being a public place they are under more scrutiny fom the authorities than a private place. Are they licensed? What's going there? Are they reporting income, collecting HST etc., etc.

A number of the spas have opened and closed, and even reopened. A few have been visited by the authorites. Do not be fooled that there is 'blind eye"

For private MA's the same risks are there but not as much. There is the privacy factor.

I don't fear spas, but I do prefer indies. That is largely because the MA always seems more confotable and when she is more confortable and relaxed I find the experience is better. It's not 100% consistent as I have had a few bad indie experiences and some great one's at spas, but generally I prefer indie.

Thank you all for your feedback, this is helping me to not be scared of someone for not wanting to come to a spa!

But a few points I have in response to whats been said so far -

About the atmosphere not being personal - I can definitely say the place I work at is much nicer than it would be if I were to work out of my home. And many independants work out of a hotel room, which, while nice, it even less personal than the massage rooms because it wasn't even decorated with the intention of seeing clients

The licensing part is a very good point, and I could understand someone making a point to only go to a licensed spa. This would reduce the risk of LE busting in significantly. I personally would only work, and DO only work, at a licensed spa.

I can also understand the frustration of door fee/room fee. One way around that I've had with pre-booking is the full fee can be discussed in a PM/email beforehand, and when the gentleman arrives he presents it all up front and the girl takes care of it herself after. I personally like this as well because I hate discussing money in certain situations!

it don't bother me to go to a spa maybe some don't want to go because they will be seen from someone they know to me going to the spa you have the chance to check out the ladies for the next visit

I tend to prefer the independent over the spa as rule, but am comfortable in both.

I like Cleos response, in that she can set an all in fee ahead of time. I've never liked the idea of two different fees. Many times the tip is negotiated later in the in the session and can be an unwelcome interruption. As I have a reasonable idea about what is fair and I'm not too cheap I usually just make an offer which is usually acceptable. Luckily I like to repeat which solves that problem.

One other reason I like to see independents is that I like to see the provider get all the money, without having a part of what I've just spent going to the spa owner. This may be misguided in that the independent could have her own overhead costs and I'm sure the spas do provide services to their girls.

One other reason I like to see independents is that I like to see the provider get all the money, without having a part of what I've just spent going to the spa owner. This may be misguided in that the independent could have her own overhead costs and I'm sure the spas do provide services to their girls.

I do like your intentions with regard to it all going to her, but that is a misguided notion. It's the same with spa vs. indy as it is with agency SP vs. indy SP. When I was independent in the past, I had a couple of people say that indy rates should be lower because there was no agency fee. What many people don't realize is that independents have to cover everything themselves. If working from a hotel, that's a cost of 100-250 a night. For someone who doesn't want to be high-volume, that's more than an agency/spa would take. And even when working from their own place, many people rent a separate 'work' apartment, and the rent on that place + advertising fees + work phone + supplies + travel to and from work = a LOT of money. Currently I could easily live on what I used to spend each month to have my own work place, and it was defininitely more each month than the massage studio fees are.

• Like 2

Well I'm less of a massage guy, and more of a SP guy

But for me, what I like when meeting a lady, be it an SP or MA

is intimacy...and by that I mean being alone with the lady

That sense of intimacy would be gone for me in a spa setting.

Now if a MA ran her own private in call, that provides the intimacy factor for me.

To alleviate any concerns and warning flags and bells going off with a lady, if requested, I'll provide verification information. I'm just looking for some private intimate time with a lady, that's all.

A rambling

RG

I like Cleos response, in that she can set an all in fee ahead of time. I've never liked the idea of two different fees. Many times the tip is negotiated later in the in the session and can be an unwelcome interruption.

I'm not a fan of negotiations in room so, as well, I like to offer an all-inclusive fee when contacted directly.

Guest s**nflute
I don't fear spas, but I do prefer indies. That is largely because the MA always seems more confotable and when she is more confortable and relaxed I find the experience is better. It's not 100% consistent as I have had a few bad indie experiences and some great one's at spas, but generally I prefer indie.

WOW what a GREAT topic, I have read so many eye openers.

I have had no problem with either until reading every single post.

To me it's who's running the show at the spa or indy. I have had some GREAT expereriences from both. Some indies and spa's offer a shower before or after others do not. We must not forget that providing showers is an expense to the indy or the spa incurr (cost of water, gas, hydro, towels and laundry, soap etc.) but that's the cost of doing business.

Now that I have read some VERY interesting feedback from fellow CERB's I would have a tendency to go with indy's or at least the owner of the Spa if available, knowing that contribution is going directly to their lively hood and not into the pockets of a third party who makes the MA's work for tip's only. The idea of an indy who is running her own show on her own time at their own expensive appeals to me, rather than someone who is working for a third party. Besides, visiting "the owner in the store" on a regular basis does create opportunity for member priviliges.

Privacy is another big issue these days, I never ran into someone I know at a private indy's place of business, however at a busy Spa, you never know who you may opening the door asyou walk out. Finaly, at a Spa, the next time you visit your favorite MA, she may have moved to a different establisment leaving you bummed out, chances are your favorite Indywill be there waiting for you.

That's my 2 cents worth..........

I am new to cerb but not to massage and for what I was told by the person who suggested this site to me I can't say much about the reason why I prefer indy massage providers but in general is because I feel more safe and do not have to worry about things that should not happen at a spa being offered to me and the place getting unwanted attention.

for me : I prefer independents. I have a good reason: i missed being caught in a raid many years back - i left the establishment 20 minutes before the raid. If I would have been there - even just sitting in the lobby of the establishment I would have been charged.

r100rs

• Like 1

I have no preference or fear of either. To me, it comes down to the person I am seeing. I do fear how much I could spend being endlessly indulged and pampered. I must have been a cat in a previous life.

• Like 1

I have no preference or fear of either. To me, it comes down to the person I am seeing. I do fear how much I could spend being endlessly indulged and pampered. I must have been a cat in a previous life.

Me too. Indy or spa makes no difference to me. The girl, level of service and attraction rules all.

I agree with what others have said, the door fees at a spa vs. an indy, there's more personal getting to know each other with an indy, more privacy at an indy. But having said that, I go to both, and I find sometimes I have better chemistry with some spa girls than some indies, and some spas aren't so expensive either.

Makes no difference to me. If I want to see someone I don't care where I have to go to see her. As always there are good and bad points to everything. But indy or spa has no bearing for me.

I will say it is easier to get to know an indy as she is more in control of her time and if she wants to BS a bit and has the time she can do so. And if she wants to she will make the time. Not saying a spa MA can't do that but I would imagine she is less in control of her time. I spent time with spa MAs but they took time off work to do that usually.

Some may feel indys will be freer to do things as they are not bound by spa rules or licenses but that has not been my experience. Some spa MA are paranoid about being caught or heard crossing the line but others seem to take it as a personal challenge.

But the whole extra dilemma is why I have gravitated towards SPs and mostly see RMTs for massage. I would hate to get an MA or her spa in trouble for doing what I know I will want to do. Better for me to keep the two activities separate or see an SP who does good massage. But I know plenty still enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" to push the limits. Been there, done that and luckily quit before any of us got in trouble LOL

Some may feel indys will be freer to do things as they are not bound by spa rules or licenses but that has not been my experience. Some spa MA are paranoid about being caught or heard crossing the line but others seem to take it as a personal challenge.

But the whole extra dilemma is why I have gravitated towards SPs and mostly see RMTs for massage. I would hate to get an MA or her spa in trouble for doing what I know I will want to do. Better for me to keep the two activities separate or see an SP who does good massage. But I know plenty still enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" to push the limits. Been there, done that and luckily quit before any of us got in trouble LOL

This is an interesting point. But, what many people don't realize, is that many girls work at a spa becaue the boundaries there fit with their own personal boundaries - so no matter where you see them, you're not going to get anything 'more'. I know some gentlemen do go to see an MA expecting SP services, which I'll never understand - just go to an SP, and you'll end up happy!