Question about "Blocked Calls" ???

First of all I am thankful that we can send PM's on CERB as one way to contact these lovely ladies.

I would like to ask a question about the concern about "Blocked Calls" . I believe that it has to do with the safety of the ladies and I fully support that.

I truly respect the ladies I meet and always develop a warm chemistry with them. I could never harm them in anyway and would always put their safety first. I use a company cell phone and could never use it to set up appointments. I could never use my home phone as privacy and discretion is important to me. Therefore I must use payphones when I contact the ladies. I guess that payphones show up as "blocked calls" as most of the ladies won't answer calls from payphones.

I guess I could buy a cheap cell phone and use a prepaid card but how does this ensure the safety of the ladies. Any jerk or crank out there could do this.

I am almost ready to give up the hobby because of this. Any suggestions ?

Question to the ladies? Why wont you accept blocked calls ? Is it because of safety, or because of potential "no shows". Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Justin

Edited by Justin_time
typo

It's not just a safety issue for the ladies, if you don't have a phone, how are they going to get a hold of you. Sometimes it'll be the case that they need to phone you

Cell phone is no biggie, you can get as cheap or expensive as you like

Here is are some cell phone options for you

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

Wireless Wave has different cell phone options, including pay as you go

http://www.wirelesswave.ca/

Walmart also has cell phones

http://www.walmart.ca/en/cp/wireless/20135

Presidents Choice has cell phones too...try your local No Frills or Loblaws, they carry them

http://www.pctelecom.ca/LCLOnline/

Don't let a thing like a cell phone deter you, cell phones are easy to get

RG

Guest **oo**e

How do calls from these phones show up ? I thought that part of the purpose is that you don't have to provide your id to petro can, seven eleven, etc. so what pops up on call display when you call, "private caller" or something else, and will SPs accept such calls ?

I believe the number shows up. I know mine shows up on a call display...tested it by phoning my work number after hours, next morning it was on the call display. To block your number, at least back when I had a land line, you had to set it up on your phone manually. You could also block certain numbers from being able to call you. Instructions for it are in your phone book

I would assume your cell phone number would show up unless specifically blocked.

RG

First of all I am thankful that we can send PM's on CERB as one way to contact these lovely ladies.

I would like to ask a question about the concern about "Blocked Calls" . I believe that it has to do with the safety of the ladies and fully support that.

... I could never use my home phone as privacy and discretion is important to me. Therefore I must use payphones when I contact the ladies. I guess that payphones show up as "blocked calls" as most of the ladies won't answer calls from payphones.....Justin

Yes, I think you ask a very good question. You could always use one of the many services that allow you to fake the caller ID (from a pay phone) to some "big bank institution" where you might work (but don't) and the ladies would happily answer the no longer blocked calls. It bothers me that you would have to use deceit like this to gain trust though.

I guess I could buy a cheap cell phone and use a prepaid card but how does this ensure the safety of the ladies. Any jerk or crank out there could do this. I am almost ready to give up the hobby because of this. Any suggestions ?

This is so true. Just because a number (or even name) comes up it doesn't mean anything, and if it's a burner cell phone you picked up at any store with a prepaid card there is really no way to trace it back to you even if you turned out to be Jack the Ripper. But what it amounts to is that 99% of the caller id information that does come up on the ladies phone is legitimate so they have come to rely on it it, perhaps too much so.

I just use my cell phone which always comes up blocked automatically unless I dial *31# before the number and than that unblocks the number for that call only. I also don't mind giving out my office numbers and they can always leave a voice mail. Even though it is my personal cell phone and always with me, I have never gotten an unwelcome or unexpected call from a lady at the wrong time, they seem to be pretty keen not to do this. I did get one unwelcome text message and I just text-ed back and said, sorry, no privacy now, text you later.

I stated a thread on anonymity a while back and I came to the conclusion it was safe to be completely non-anonymous but my circumstances may differ from yours.

Depending on your circumstances you will probably have to get a burner cell phone as the usual protocol is to call the lady when in the area just before an appointment to get her room number or address.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... Question to the ladies? Why wont you accept blocked calls ? Is it because of safety, or because of potential "no shows". Any comments are greatly appreciated....

Here's some useful discussion that reflects a range of attitudes and policies from a number of ladies:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46865

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42605

These are a great responses. Just for the record, I have never been late or early for a scheduled appointment and I have even tolerated the hoops that we have to go through sometimes. I realise that it's a business agreement between two people and that it causes major problems for the ladies if a client shows up late or doesn't show at all.

I read the thread that WrinkledinTime posted.

I realise now that it has come down to TRUST between the SP and the client. I guess the TRUST is not there when it is a first meeting. This rule about blocked calls seems to have increased over the last few years. I guess this is the way it has to be now.

In all the years of that I have indulged in the hobby I have never had an issue with using any phone that has displayed a number including cell phones. I understand the need for a call back number.

Discretion is the key here, it goes a long way to understanding "Blocked Calls" The Service Provider is trying to run a business based on appointments. The only way to keep the business running smoothly is to be able to confirm appointments, provide locations and in the event of a serious problem, delay or cancel them. I consider this a legitimate need for a contact number, land line or cell phone or otherwise.

Most members of CERB seem to seek out information on Providers before taking the plunge and booking the appointment and even in some circumstances will have gone through a Pre Screening. By then one should have a pretty good rapport with the Provider and an understanding of the need for a number that can be called.

I have no issues with "Blocked Calls" Any type of a Business that is based on Services has a legitimate need for contact phone numbers. Why should the Business that the Providers are running be any different.

Try booking an emergency after hours call to a heating technician without a call back number...

Rodehard

• Like 9

When I looked at your original I was really surprised by your comment that you were considering dropping out of the hobby if you had to get a burner. I think you will find many great positive comments about getting one, and their importance in the subsequent posts. I get the impression from your comments that you have concerns regarding your privacy, which in this day and age really is a myth unless you take extraordinary steps. Do your research and trust your instincts and you won't have any trouble. I have never had any of the ladies contact me privately, unless I had told them that I was open to hear from them.

On the other side of the coin I think you have to look at it from the women's perspective. They are in an industry that has an enormous amount of risks, and this is just another tool that they have to manage the way they do business and help mitigate a bit of the risk. Probably, if you looked at the statistics, the ratio of "bad dates" to dates is pretty high, so give them every chance you can, because at the end of the day they deserve any help we can give them.

Edited by Boomer
  • Like 2

In this lifestyle there is a balance between your privacy versus the ladies safety and security. Really, on the balance of things, a cell phone is very minor. And as much as a lot of men may think their privacy is of paramount importance, it truly is the ladies that take much more risks, be it with their safety to no shows, well at least until they at least get to know, and like you. A lot of ladies mitigate that risk somewhat by requiring verification, which means in addition to providing a contact phone number and email, not to mention confirming board handle through pm, you provide your real, yes real name and a reference

My experience, when you are open with a lady providing this amount of information, they don't abuse it...they are very appreciative that you provided it and it goes a long, long way to establishing trust, even before you meet in person.

If you are reluctant to just provide a cell phone number, I can see it raising warning flags to the lady. If you have trust concerns about providing a lady just a cell phone number, maybe she isn't a lady you should see in the first place. And from the lady's perspective, if you don't trust her with any information, be it just a phone number right up to full verification information, why would you expect her to trust you to be alone with intimately?

A morning rambling

RG

• Like 4

Guest a**4*

I use my cell to call and i ask them is my number blocked they tell me its not other's won't accept the call because it's blocked i understand it is for there safety other's tell me it's not other tell me it is blocked and i know it's not blocked i checked what's up with that.

You never know who is calling. If I were an SP i would not accept block calls. is it a friend or foe, is it the police, is it a banned client. and many more. I believe all SP's require a call back number. Emergencies happen, with family and close friends. I would not book with an SP that does not get a call back number.

So I support the SP's in not answering blocked calls.

• Like 1

I've never had a SP ring me on the number I've provided. But this is why having a burner makes sense. You only need to have it on when calling to book, and when going to the appointment for confirmation purposes. The rest of the time it's off, which means there is no potential for embarrassment. If my work or personal phones are off, people would be asking questions.

And if you object to having to pay the costs of the phone, then you definitely are in the wrong hobby!!

Porthos

• Like 1

I've never had a SP ring me on the number I've provided. But this is why having a burner makes sense. You only need to have it on when calling to book, and when going to the appointment for confirmation purposes. The rest of the time it's off, which means there is no potential for embarrassment. If my work or personal phones are off, people would be asking questions. And if you object to having to pay the costs of the phone, then you definitely are in the wrong hobby!!

Porthos

Excellent point. I have noticed that some people are a little too "secret agent" about the whole process. It's true, an SP should never call when it's not expected, tantamount to an unexpected PM saying "Hey baby, want a date?" which isn't allowed here (unless you contacted them first asking for one).

But I guess if you want to play "spy vs. spy", a burner cell phone (like pay as you go) is a small price to pay. I just give them my main cell phone number and it was only one "newbie" SP that sent me a text at the wrong time, no big deal. I get text messages and phone calls from time to time from wrong numbers, we all do, don't we? To me, less risky then having to explain a burner phone if it was discovered.

So I get a text message from an SP while sitting in a restaurant with my wife and answer back "no privacy, text u later" and she said "who was that and what was that about?" So I just answer the question with a question "Do you know anyone named George?" and we go back to what we were talking about :)

Further to what Luxie was saying, assaults and robberies and other altercations are rare, but they do happen and it only takes that one time that could be difference between life and death.

I can recall at least 3 or 4 times in the past few years when girls (mostly new to the business or desperate for cash) called me up crying to tell me something had happened. And when I asked for the guy's number so I could at least bad date list it, they sheepishly admitted the guy called blocked or from a payphone or using a calling card. In one instance, the guy grabbed her wallet out of her purse (even though she had no money in it), and chucked it in the garbage in the front of her building, so she was lucky to get it back, but still....

So, even though a callback number is not a guarantee of safety, it's just one minimal measure most of us have as a record of something rather than nothing.

It's a very little thing to ask for. No offence, but you are just not "that important" for me to want to screw around with privacy or ruin your life by me having your number. I don't even care if your name is Tom, Dick or Harry, but a number - yes, that's all I ask for is a callback number.

Regular hobbyiests have known the drill for years that if they want to book an appointment, the minimal they have to provide is a number.

When you start thinking you are more special than others and we should give exceptions, you are already not respecting a lady's boundaries, so no wonder she isn't going to be too warm to the idea of even seeing you.

Unless the guy or lady (stick with reputable providers) has a agenda, this should NEVER be an issue. Period.

Edited by Mature Angela
  • Like 4

In addition to the reasons given by Luxie and Angela, and others, there is a very practical reason for sps to require #s from their clients and potential clients.

For myself, I remember numbers. When someone has called me 5 times, never booked, I know when they call #6. I can now ask them what is it that draws them to my ad, over and over, but never book. We can have a conversation about it, or they hang up and stop bothering me.

When someone has seen me at least 3 times, I recognize the # and who will be showing up at the door. It's just good customer service to be able to see the #, and say hello to the person you know, how are you, and you know you appreciate it when the lady you repeat with knows who you are when you call. With a block #, or payphone caller, that isn't always possible.

(it is sometimes possible, I do see a few people via block # or payphones, it is not an issue for me, but when two guys named 'jonny' both use block phones, and one is the guy who shows up and the other is the guy who books and no shows, then yes, block #s are damn annoying and used by time wasters, and there is no way to screen between one block and another block.)

Scheduling is also affected. One day I had 3 blocked # callers all call to ask about appts in the near future, two of them actually made appts, to call when in the area (the appts at different times). After their ETAs came and went, I finally got a blocked# caller checking if I can see him now. Thinking he was one of the other 2 appts, later than he'd planned to be, checking in to see if it is ok to come by now, I give it to him no problem. But it turns out, he wasn't any of the previous callers, he was a 4th person, and the call he had just made was the first one he'd made to me that day.

However, he showed up, and after a bit of confusion on everyone's part, the appt went fine.

So if you insist on using block # to set up an appt, you can expect that the sp will encounter just as much confusion when out of the blue some other guy who is nearby calls her up on his own block #, she thinks it is you, and when you do show up, she isn't answering her phone.

• Like 1

Guest d**eye***y

the only reason i would support blocked calls in some way was too keep from having unwanted calls. In the past I have had some ladies call me back after they did not pick up (most likey with a client), or randomly wondering if I was up for something. that is not good.

Years ago, this would have been a problem but now that there are vast numbers of cell providers offering pay as you go plans for a low all inclusive rate every month, there is an alternative now. I agree with others. If an SP doesn't answer blocked calls, you can get a throw away phone and your name will not show up when you call someone. I think if you want to meet the SP halfway where discretion and trust is concern, get a throw away phone and keep it in a safe place if you are married or have a gf. You get to keep your privacy and the SP feels her requirements are met.

Having a throw way phone is not a guarantee that the Sp will be safe or not have a no show client but what if a client calls from a blocked number or payphone and a situation arises that the client is late or the SP has to cancel for some reason. She can't call him back. This happened with an SP I work with and the client calling from a payphone got lost when he was 3 minutes away from her place. 25 minutes later, she thinks he is a no show and books someone who happened to see her before and was in the area. The second client got there quickly and lo and behold the first guy finally finds her location and rings the doorbell while she is in session with the second client. She told the first guy he was late and she was seeing someone else. It's not her fault because he put her in a situation where she had to make a quick decision. Why should she wait around for someone who may not be coming? She is running a business and time is money. Even though he insisted on booking by payphone and she took a chance with this because she went with her intuition, it didn't work out.

I personally don't book through blocked calls and payphones and feel if a guy wants to see me, he will have cell phone. I don't like giving out the address and I certainly won't give it to someone who may feel like he is trying to be too secret agent. If I feel someone has something to hide, what else are they going to do? SPs and clients have their ways of how to go about doing things but I think they have to meet each other half way and everyone is satisfied. If a guy hobbys regularily and doesn't want to get a cell phone then that's their problem but it makes sense to get one if they will use it more than once.

• Like 3

I am really happy that the ladies commented in this thread too. Their point of view is very valid and greatly appreciated. I can now see the reasoning behind the importance of a call back number.

Possibly the one comment "you are just not "that important" for me to want to screw around with privacy or ruin your life by me having your number. I don't even care if your name is Tom, Dick or Harry, but a number - yes, that's all I ask for is a callback number" was a bit extreme and a tad offensive.

The ladies are important to us and we do really care about them.

That is why I asked the original question so I could understand their point of view about blocked calls.

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. ;-)

Edited by Justin_time
typo
  • Like 1

If you have a smartphone, you can get an app from Majic Jack. It will use the data on your phone (or wifi if you're connected) and you can get a free phone number. I have it on my iPhone, and have the notifications turned off, so if I get a call (normally telemarketers), it doesn't ring. The phone still tells me I missed a call. The voicemail is nice, as it will email you the voicemail. It works really well, and is fairly reliable. Best of all, it costs nothing, and you don't have to carry a second phone.

...I personally don't book through blocked calls and payphones and feel if a guy wants to see me, he will have cell phone. I don't like giving out the address and I certainly won't give it to someone who may feel like he is trying to be too secret agent...

Everyone has said what needs to be said so eloquently and accurately. I do hope this helps other Clients understand why this is necessary.

The biggest issue for me is my address. Under normal circumstances if I have never seen you before, you do not get my house number until you call and indicate you are on my street.