What are your Favourite Take-Out/Casual Dining Restaurants

Someone asked me the other day where to order good pizza from in Orleans, and I thought we haven't had a thread about good places to order from/pick-up or dine in (in a casual setting), so I thought I'd start one.

Since I'm in Ottawa, here are my favourite placess.

Pizza:

House of Pizza, Convent Glen Mall, Orleans

Louie's Pizza, Vanier (Pick-up/dine-in only - no delivery)

Colonnade Pizza (Metcalfe/Gilmour is orig. location - have not tried any other lcoations)

Bellavista Pizza (Alta Vista/Bank)

KS Pizza (Pick-up/dine-in only - no delivery -South Keys Shopping mall across parking lot from Walmart)

Shawarma:

Cedar Valley, Orleans (their fatouch salad is to die for)

Alissa (St. Laurent at Industrial)

Burgers:

Five Guys (Trainyards and coming soon to Innes Rd. Orleans)

The Works (St. Laurent/Hemlock)

Sandwiches Made to Order:

DiRienzo's Confectionary (Beech/Champagne St.)

Chicken Wings:

House of Pizza, Orleans

Royal Oak (Dine-in only, half price Mon. nites)

24 Hour Places to Chow Down:

The Elgin Street Diner

Eddy's Fast Lunch, Montreal Road near Vanier Parkway

Smoke Meat:

Chenoy's in Gatineau

What are some of your places?

• Like 1

A big, fat juicy Shawarma from the place on Carleton and....ummmm something, lol....by the byward blue inn....

OMG, they are good, open till 4am...smoke the hooka if you like too....

I took 2 home with me last trip, on the plane, ate them that day too!

But many good times and many good dollars spent at EMPIRE GRILL!!! omg, the rocket salad is to die for, as well as the Seafood plater! wooowie!! Good food, amazing atmosphere, beautiful food!

In Smalltown Ontario LOL it's Vito's Pizzaria. Has good Italian food. Love their meat lovers pizza, by far the best pizza I've had. And Master Sub, no not a chain, but their subs top any you'd get from a chain sub restaurant

And when I'm in Peterborough, well a few. The Pizza Factory...they have to have the best caesar salad...so loaded with garlic it hurts to eat it. And Rolands Steakhouse, never been disappointed.

Speaking of steakhouses, by Pearson Airport, Zorro's Steakhouse, the prime rib was huge, can't complain about the meal...mind you I had wonderful company that evening.

As for Ottawa, I miss Nates ever since hearing it closed

RG

Guest N***he**Ont**y

In North Eastern Ontario one of our better Pizzerias is called Topper's Pizza In Sudbury. It is a chain that has spread out through out Ontario. I t has some of the most delicious combinations of pizza and a family recipe bread like crust. The best around in my book! For Chicken dinners the local Deluxe (One Arch)chain has the best chicken dinners around for ten bucks.

When I was in Ottawa my favourite pizza places were Gabriels, Lorenzos, and Pavarazzi's. I have to say though that it had to be a toss up, no pun intended, between Pavarazzis and Gabriels though. Pavarazzis had lethal panzerotti's though that were so good but also had a tendency to put you to sleep afterwards, lol. Father and sons was a decent place for pub food on Ottawa U campus and great for catching the game. My favourite Chinese food place though is a little spot in Prescott called the Dragon Garden, they have the best egg rolls I've ever had beating out places out of Ottawa, Kingston, and Brockville. The General Tao chicken is not the greatest but everything else is superb. They have fixed up the joint but it used to look like a shack, but even still loved the food. For Souvlaki I like going to Luna and 1000 Island Pizza in Brockville. Luna also has great Lasagna. The best prime rib I've ever had, though I've only recently acquired a taste for it, was at the mill in Brockville. They only have it on special occasions but it is well worth it.

Speaking of egg rolls....

The Golden Palace on Carling at Woodroffe

Ruby Palace on Bank at Walkley

• Like 1

Gabriel pizza! They don't have it in Toronto! The crust is so thick and the cheese...so much cheese! Loui,s is also good.

I like the New Nupur for Indian Food.

My best shawarma place is King Shawarma ? on Rideau St.

In Toronto: People's Foods on Dupont near Davenport. Great burgers, souvlaki, and the best breakfasts.

In the same neighbourhood Vespa lunch .... Classic greasy spoon

Winnipeg: Kekekis On Main, but also the Nook diner.

St. John's: can't go wrong with Chess' fish and chips, but also Velma's on Water Street or The Rocket.

• Like 1

In Halifax/Dartmouth some nice places to eat are

East Side Marios , La Perla , Montana's , Celtic Corner , the Colby Alehouse , Big Leagues & the Poutinery ;) lol

Yummmy !

A couple of other St. john's spots. classic East cafe on Duckworth street is really good.

My favourite pub in St. john's, if not anywhere, is Yellowbelly, a micro-brewery with fabulous beer. Be forewarned, they ONLY serve their beer, but you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend the Fighting Irish Red and the St. john's stout. Their food is great as well. The Greek burger, a mix of mince pork and lamb, with feta cheese and tzatziki sauce is incredible. The lobster hash on their weekend brunch is indescribable, as are their eggs Benedict on crab cakes.

O.k. ... I have to go eat now!!!

Porthos

• Like 1

If ever in Fredericton, NB...and you are looking for a nice place to eat....

well, KEEP DRIVING! lol....Freddy has next to nothing for good eats:(

In Moncton however, you have many great restaurants, bistro, tappis, sushi, just an amazing variety of tastes:)

Tide and Bore : Was featured on the Food Network for best Maritime restaurant! This was about 2 Months ago. They hosted East Coast Music Awards, here last month. A small menu that changes frequently. It is fresh as fresh can be! Unique food combination, brilliant in color and texture!

Psst...Have a Whiskey Sour....lol... they make with hand squeezed lemon and lime! Mmmm mmm

Entertainment in Evening, is so welcomed! depending on the night you go, you will see many talented Canadian bands touring will always give you a night you will always remember! Kitchen party style to country, to indy!

Armdale Pizza on St. Margaret's Bay Road.

Best donairs in the world. Friends to the west its worth visiting Halifax just to get a donair.

I was a bad girl and had one last night. :icon_smile:

• Like 2

Sorry to horn in on this one, there is one place GREAT to eat in Freddy, Snooty Fox! Fabulous Irish pub, great beers, great whiskeys and fantastic Irish food.

Relatively inexpensive and amazing atmosphere, it was a regular place for me when I lived there and a place i always took friends!

Luna Rogue for indian cuisine, great pricing and fab atmosphere too

If ever in Fredericton, NB...and you are looking for a nice place to eat....

well, KEEP DRIVING! lol....Freddy has next to nothing for good eats:(

In Moncton however, you have many great restaurants, bistro, tappis, sushi, just an amazing variety of tastes:)

Tide and Bore : Was featured on the Food Network for best Maritime restaurant! This was about 2 Months ago. They hosted East Coast Music Awards, here last month. A small menu that changes frequently. It is fresh as fresh can be! Unique food combination, brilliant in color and texture!

Psst...Have a Whiskey Sour....lol... they make with hand squeezed lemon and lime! Mmmm mmm

Entertainment in Evening, is so welcomed! depending on the night you go, you will see many talented Canadian bands touring will always give you a night you will always remember! Kitchen party style to country, to indy!

• Like 1

Armdale Pizza on St. Margaret's Bay Road.

Best donairs in the world. Friends to the west its worth visiting Halifax just to get a donair.

You are so right! I agree 100% on this one , there is nothing better than a Halifax donair ;) no where else in Canada makes donairs like ours !

You are so right! I agree 100% on this one , there is nothing better than a Halifax donair ;) no where else in Canada makes donairs like ours !

The Halifax donair is where it's at. I have to send spools of meat to Ottawa for family members who have moved because they miss it so much and when someone from the family is visiting the orders are put in for that person to bring a crazy amount back to Ottawa. Halifax is the home of the donair. I just may have one today, now that I've read this. Yummy!!

Bud the Spud chip truck on Spring Garden Rd. is a true gem. Great fries, poutine and always friendly service, his brother owns a truck there too and that is great as well. Good for a nice bite on the go!!

Edited by Lexy Grace
  • Like 1

The ultimate take out experience has to be the chip wagon. Any Ziggy Peelgoods wagon in St. john's. Great chips, doused in malt vinegar and salt!!! I can feel my arteries hardening.

Not really a take out/casual place, but in Winnipeg I always enjoy Rae and Jerry's. http://www.raeandjerrys.com/

Great steak, and in the summer a wonderful patio. But what I really love is the decor. You walk in and it feels like you've stepped through a time warp to 1957. I half expect to see Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack putting back martinis at the bar!!!

Guest Ba**n

I'm a French fries addict and chip wagons will always draw me in. Glen's Fries on Richmond Road between Kirkwood and Island Park near the condo construction sites are very, very good. Not casual dining but....the smell of fries cooking in hot oil is only surpassed by the taste of greasy fries with salt and vinegar!

my latest favorite is the mill st brewery pub! Try the chicken poutine but with sweet potato fries. yummers!

And they brew a nice beer as well!

my latest favorite is the mill st brewery pub! Try the chicken poutine but with sweet potato fries. yummers!

I was quite disappointed with the food when I was there. But if you just hop over the river, you'll find Brasseurs du Temps, which has very good food. And better and more interesting beer, for those who care about that.

• Like 1

Guest Ba**n

Kind of reminds me of the old days when I used to go to a wonderful tavern establishment in Hull called The Raftsman...I recall some of the best food (tortiere and ragout) and cold draft beer. Fine dining at it's best! Good times for sure.

I was quite disappointed with the food when I was there. But if you just hop over the river, you'll find Brasseurs du Temps, which has very good food. And better and more interesting beer, for those who care about that.

Ok I know its not really take out food but for dine in what is the hot spot in Ottawa area for sea food and for mexican food?

In Brandon

Five Guys Burger Restaurant ..... better be hungry OMG

Pizza - Romano's or Martino's - best pizza ever

Chinese Food - Kim's Restaurant on 1st street

Steak - Lee Richards BBQ - mmm hmmmm .... Will deliver ....but only to the ladies ;) sorry fellas .... certain conditions may appy -read below

Disclaimer

I will absolutely not take money from you ladies for sex or the steak.....but I will have sex with you :D

• Like 2

More from Halifax:

The relatively new Cheese Curds in Dartmouth has great burgers, tons of topping options and killer onion rings.

Rockbottom and Hart & Thistle are both brewpubs with a relaxed atmosphere, and the brewmaster is an absolute genius.

I've eaten tons of good food from Chang's.

Salvatore's pizza is a must try.

Maxwell's Plum is great for dirt cheap (during their happy hours) deep fried food and greasy pub fare.

Bubba rays sports bar has lots of options for wings.