What are your Favourite Take-Out/Casual Dining Restaurants

Anyone have any Toronto recommendations?

Although I haven't been there yet I am planning on a little or a lot of .... Dinner at the Y... Malika style ! ;) 3 meals a day and perhaps an afternoon and late night snack might me in order too !!

Sorry Frenchie....couldn't resist ;)

Anyone have any Toronto recommendations?

I've now lived away from Toronto for longer than I lived in Toronto (which was for 12 years) so much of my information is dated.

For pubs try the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge ... I'm not sure there is anywhere else you can get a Deep Fried Mars Bar in Toronto. If there is, I do want to know about it!!!! :icon_smile:

when I lived in Toronto I used to love the Patios at the Madison Avenue Pub (the Mad) ... but the last time I walked by they seem to have changed things tremendously there. Don't go (or do depending on what you're looking for) on a thursday, Friday or Saturday night cause the place always used to get taken over by university students on the make. I'm far too old for that scene now!

I gave a few recommendations for diners in Toronto up above. Downtown as well I always used to enjoy the Queen Mother on Queen Street. You can't go wrong in Chinatown (well, actually you can) ... I also like the Spadina Garden, which has a location just off Bay on Dundas.

Lick'n'chicken on Bloor Street was always fun, as was Sneaky Dees at College and Bathurst. Another decent pub on bloor street was Pauper's. I used to like the Jack Russell on Wellesley, but I believe it is gone, replaced by the Fox and Fiddle (which I've never been to)

Just a few thoughts

Porthos

p.s. having just seen Lee's post ... most definitely dessert with Malika

I'm with you Angela about Feleena's on Bank St. That place is so good!!! It's traditional Mexican food, not TexMex. I have not tried the new one in The Market yet.

Louis' on McArthur has outstanding pizza, some of the best I've ever had. Too bad though they don't deliver.

The original Colonade on Metcalfe is a true Ottawa institution. Whenever we came to Ottawa, it was always a must stop for my father!

• Like 1

Ok I know its not really take out food but for dine in what is the hot spot in Ottawa area for sea food and for mexican food?

The Whalesbone on Bank and Gladstone for seafood. They also have a retail location on Kent near the bus terminal that does a phenomenal paper bag lunch from 11-3pm.

Ahora's on Dalhousie for mexican food - casual dining in or they also do takeout. Don't forget to load up on the extras (jalapenos, salsa, cilantro) on the side bar!

I've now lived away from Toronto for longer than I lived in Toronto (which was for 12 years) so much of my information is dated.

For pubs try the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge ... I'm not sure there is anywhere else you can get a Deep Fried Mars Bar in Toronto. If there is, I do want to know about it!!!! :icon_smile:]

You can find some here.

I was at Kelsey's Restaurant not long ago and had a deep fried Mars bar and it was to die for. Kelsey's restaurant are a bit all over now.

I just need to give a shout out to all the pho restaurants on Somerset street in Ottawa. They all have similar names (Pho Bo Ga La, Pho Bo Ga King, and of course the two Pho Bo Ga La 2s that are right next to each other), so just pick one and go for it. That is, if you're in the mood for salty beef soup. Which I almost always am.

Also, it's not a restaurant, but the Kowloon market at Somerset and Arthur will sell you six spring rolls for a dollar from their bakery section. Craziness!

• Like 2

For pubs try the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge ... I'm not sure there is anywhere else you can get a Deep Fried Mars Bar in Toronto. If there is, I do want to know about it!!!! :icon_smile:]

You can find some here.

I was at Kelsey's Restaurant not long ago and had a deep fried Mars bar and it was to die for. Kelsey's restaurant are a bit all over now.

Haven't been to a Kelsey's in years. good to know. If you question the health value of deep fried Mars bars, you can go with deep fried Snickers. The peanuts add protein!!!

Noone likes Harveys or McD in Ottawa? :D best to go meal ;)

For shawarma ill go with Shawarma Prince ... 6 location in ottawa.. they got to be doing something right - been patronizing their stores for 5+ years. They have donair! prolly not the greatest but they do!

Rice dish @ Cho Cham - Somerset ;) hmm lemongrass chicken and bbq beef. with rice :D, noodle soup around this area too!

WildWings (Kanata + St Laurent) ! yes their wings are humongous but they have crazy amount of different taste option - 101 if i remember correctly.

Lapointe for fish and chips - Bells Corner (Halibut woooo!)

Authentic Persian Cuisine - Laurier

Haveli - Indian food :D Downtown in the market or Bells Corner

Mongolian Village - Bells Corner - grab things that you like and mix and mash it... works everytime!

Siam Kitchen - Thai Food - Bank Street.

I just need to give a shout out to all the pho restaurants on Somerset street in Ottawa. They all have similar names (Pho Bo Ga La, Pho Bo Ga King, and of course the two Pho Bo Ga La 2s that are right next to each other), so just pick one and go for it. That is, if you're in the mood for salty beef soup. Which I almost always am.

Good shout, madam. +1 from me.

But don't eat the little red chilies they give you with the pho.

Oh, go on then, eat one. But don't say I didn't warn you.

In Ottawa... OD's house for the BEST chili or cabbage rolls... bwahahahahahaha

Gotta agree with the Haveli choice Areez.... that is some kinda finger licken good butter chicken!!! (Oh and if you go with Indian people, the fork is optional, everything is scooped with the Naan!)

Gotta love Tosca's on OConnor at Gloucester for Italian... they make AMAZING Puttanesca and always have a bit of strawberry grappa for dessert!

Best burger? Gotta be the Works. Hands down. Love my burgers.

Thai??? Sweet Basil on Bank north of Heron... deeeeeeeeeelickyous!!!

OD is also king of pickled veggies

My new fave snack is curry poutine at Heart and Crown (no coconut milk yippee!)

Gotta agree with the Haveli choice Areez.... that is some kinda finger licken good butter chicken!!! (Oh and if you go with Indian people, the fork is optional, everything is scooped with the Naan!)

I love Ethiopian food for this reason. Everything served right on the flat bread which is also plate and cutlery. Yum!

There used to be a great Ethiopian restaurant in Toronto .... Near Eglinton and Bathurst, that would actually roast your coffee beans (they would bring them out for you to see at different stages of roasting) and serve it in a traditional African earthen jug. Best coffee, but you did have to wait a long time for it. Sadly, it's been gone for years.

If anyone has recos for good Ethiopian food I'd love to hear them.

Porthos

Ohhhhhh.... and bread for bread's sake??? Art Is In.... mmmmmmmmm

artisin3.jpg

250 City Center Avenue Bay 114 Ottawa ON K1R 7R7

(Lebreton Flat off Scott road)

In Ottawa, my favourite casual dining is definitely the Manx on Elgin. My default delivery place is also Shanghai on Somerset.

DiRienzos used to be my all-time favourite place for a sandwich but they changed their bread and it's nothing spectacular anymore :(

In Toronto, I lovelove Shanghai Cowgirl on Queen and Bathurst, and Gandhis Roti Hut has incredibly face-meltingly spicy rotis to die for. And I've always had a disgusting taste for hunan tofu from the New Ho King on Spadina...a mountain of cheap tofu on rice delivered to you at 4am...heaven

Although I haven't been there yet I am planning on a little or a lot of .... Dinner at the Y... Malika style ! ;) 3 meals a day and perhaps an afternoon and late night snack might me in order too !!

Sorry Frenchie....couldn't resist ;)

If I squirt, is that consider the beverage for the day?

also in Toronto At Queen/Bathurst, Milagro is a really good and intimate mexican restaurant

• Like 1

In Ottawa, my favourite casual dining is definitely the Manx on Elgin. My default delivery place is also Shanghai on Somerset.

DiRienzos used to be my all-time favourite place for a sandwich but they changed their bread and it's nothing spectacular anymore :(

In Toronto, I lovelove Shanghai Cowgirl on Queen and Bathurst, and Gandhis Roti Hut has incredibly face-meltingly spicy rotis to die for. And I've always had a disgusting taste for hunan tofu from the New Ho King on Spadina...a mountain of cheap tofu on rice delivered to you at 4am...heaven

DiRienzo's changed their bread - oh no. Next time I'm there, I'll have to have a little chat with Paul.

And delivery in Toronto at 4 a.m. - wow, that's awesome!

There is a great place in Fredericton that often goes unnoticed....

Mama"s Pub!! My most favorite thing to order: Mussels in Maple curry sauce!! I have eaten this at many many places, and this sauce is the best I have had!

Then main course is: Maple Jack burger platter with Spinich salad!

Ohhhhh Man!!! Now I have to go there to eat!! lol...

There is a great place in Fredericton that often goes unnoticed....

Mama"s Pub!! My most favorite thing to order: Mussels in Maple curry sauce!! I have eaten this at many many places, and this sauce is the best I have had!

Then main course is: Maple Jack burger platter with Spinich salad!

Ohhhhh Man!!! Now I have to go there to eat!! lol...

Save me a spot!!!!

• Like 1

Another couple of spots in Brockville that are really good dine in spots are the Brockberry for the food and Buds on The Bay for the view. The food at buds is okay but I really love going there because in the summer they open up the patio and your basically right on the river and the view is gorgeous. Also probably the best fish n' chips in the area is Don's fish and chips. I always get the haddock and chips and am never disappointed. We get bikers from Montreal that make regular trips there, and on good Friday the line is literally out the door. The guy that runs the joint isn't a small guy any any stretch but I guess that's one way you can tell the food is good, lol.

• Like 2

I went to Five Guys last week at the Trainyards. I am pretty sure one of my arteries is now blocked, but the burger was pretty freakin' good! :D Never seen so many fries in my life though, you had better be hungry when you go there.

• Like 1